What's new

moving, looking to rehaul my wires/connections (1 Viewer)

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i want to take this chance to rehaul my speaker wire connections and audio connections overall since i'm moving. Right now i'm using pretty much all el-cheapo digital coax/optical wires for audio and some inexpensive speaker wires. None of it's Monster since I figured the cheap stuff would probably be better (most of the connections come from generic radio shack brand, i think).

Anyway, without spending too much money I'd like to get some input on what quality speaker wire I can get without breaking the bank. Same goes for optical and coax, although I think what I'm using now will do me just fine unless there's some new magical wire out there I haven't heard about. Also, since i will still be using some rca cables (for tape deck/phono preamp/cd record monitor), is it worth upgrading those?

i'd also like to go with speaker wire i can find relatively easy (don't want to special order hand made wire that will take 4 weeks to get).

btw, i have a Harmon Kardon AVR75 Dolby Digital receiver (no dts).

thanks!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
soundking as well as an assortment of cables from AR can be obtained at www.partsexpress.com and most certainly won't break the bank. you'll find delivery to be rather quick. hope the move goes well.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Sean,
I recommend Kimber Cable at www.kimber.com
They have great low-priced stuff and the sonics are almost always superb. A lot of budget audiophiles use this cable on their systems. PBJ interconnect is very goos and any of the upper line is great.
Also, if you can afford Cardas, I believe it is even better. They are at www.cardas.com
Hope that helps! :)
Lee

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Chu,
The PartsExpress website states:
CAROL COMMAND 12 GA SPEAKER CABLE 25' Carol Command studio grade speaker cable was designed for discriminating audio tastes. The superior silver-plated performance provides exceptional digital imaging for broad spectrum harmonics and superior signal clarity.
I am confused? How are they measuring the "digital imaging and broad spectrum harmonics"?
Is there a "double blind" listening test involved here?
;)
Lee

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Sean,
Sorry for the third post...I just noticed you are from Atlanta. I can make a specific suggestion being a fellow North Georgian.
Go to Sound and Cinema off Haynes Bridge Road up GA400 and see my friend Ed Scruggs. Ed is one of the best dealers in the city and I have been doing business with him for over ten years!
Tell him I sent you and get his recommendation. The whole staff is top-notch however.
:)
Lee

Try accessories4less.com. They have great prices's on Acoustic Research cables. I switched from Monster to AR.

Saved lots of money and have not noticed any drop in performance.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Lee: seems to me the boys in the marketing dept got a bit carried away. lots of hype everywhere...kind of like trying to keep your white sneakers clean while crossing a cow pasture at night with no moon. i seriously doubt they performed any tests. email them. should be good for laughs. then we can compare some of the responses from other cable 'manufacturers'.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks