What's new

Moving from 5.1 to 7.1 - speaker advise (1 Viewer)

Ashg2000

Auditioning
Real Name
Ash
Need some advice please -

I am setting up a dedicated home theater room and moving from 5.1 to 7.1 speaker setup. My current setup is Bowers & Wilkins CM9 for front, Center2 for center and CM5s for surround along with Rotel processor and amp. This 5.1 setup works very well.

As I move to new setup I am adding two Bose in-wall 891 speakers for rear to move to 7.1. Question - should I continue to use B&W CM5 for surround left/right and install Bose 891 for back left/right OR other-way around Bose 819 for surround left/right and B&W CM5 for back left/right. What will be more effective.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I couldn't find the Bose 819's on a quick Google search, so I'll go with a general recommendation - the surrounds will get more play than the rears, so put the speakers with the better timbre match there (that would be the identical speakers, the B&Ws). As a bonus, you don't have to move them.

I'll add that timbre match doesn't matter as much for anything off the front, so if there's a reason (e.g., aesthetics, size), then swapping them wouldn't be a big deal.

I'd be remiss if I didn't add that you should strongly consider not using Bose, as they are overpriced and average.

Ashg2000

Auditioning
Real Name
Ash
Thanks for the quick response. Very helpful. I had mistyped earlier - Bose in-wall speakers are 891s.

Ashg2000

Auditioning
Real Name
Ash
B&W CM5 rear is floor standing model while Bose 891 is in-wall. I will keep it to 5.1 and use the in-wall for some other purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks