What's new

Movies you saw in the theaters more than once (1 Viewer)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
What surprises me most when trying to make this list are the films I DIDN'T see multiple times in the theater. I had an advantage as a wee child that my mother would drop us off at the theater every Saturday morning so that she and my grandmother could have a few hours of "adult time". So things like "Empire Strikes Back" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark" I saw more times than I could possibly remember in the theater. Also, since back in the day movies would literally play for a year or more, it was much easier to spread out viewings than it is today. But by about 1985 I was seeing them twice and that's about it.

But here goes with the list:

1980:

The Empire Strikes Back

1981:

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Superman II

The Cannonball Run

The Great Muppet Caper

1982:

E.T.

Poltergeist

1983:

Return of the Jedi

Superman III (Don't judge me)

Stroker Ace (Really, I was 10, don't judge me)

1984:

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Ghostbusters

Gremlins

1985:

Back to the Future

Rocky IV (Okay, this one you can judge me for)

1986:

Top Gun

Crocodile Dundee

Star Trek IV

Aliens (Thank God for older brothers)

1989:

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Batman

When Harry Met Sally

1990:

Dances With Wolves

The Hunt for Red October

Edward Scissorhands

1991:

Terminator 2

Robin Hood

Beauty and the Beast

Silence of the Lambs

Star Trek VI

Backdraft

The Fisher King

Dead Again

1992:

Batman Returns

Bram Stoker's Dracula

1993:

Jurassic Park

Schindler's List

1994:

Forrest Gump

The Lion King

Speed

1995:

Toy Story

1996:

Twister

Jerry Maguire

1997:

Titanic

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Contact

1999:

The Phantom Menace

Toy Story 2

2000:

Gladiator

2002:

Spider-Man

Attack of the Clones

Catch Me if you Can

2004:

Spider-Man 2

2005:

Revenge of the Sith

2007:

2008:

The Dark Knight (5 times in IMAX alone)

2010:

Toy Story 3

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Years would be hard, and in some cases not relevent because I've seen some films year after year after year. My list of repeat viewings in a theater:

* Raiders of the Lost Ark

* Star Wars (as the original and as redone) same with Empire / ROTJ

* Back to the Future / Back to the Future III (I only saw Back to the Future II once in a theater)

* Star Trek IV

* Star Trek VI

* Beauty and the Beast (Disney)

* Lion King

* Toy Story

* Toy Story 2

* Toy Story 3

* Wall-E

* The Incredibles (several, have kids.. this one was WAY popular and at $4 matinees, kids happy, I was happy, great fun)

* Cars

* Monsters, Inc.

* Terminator 2

* Avatar (three times, twice 3d, once not)

I'm sure there are others.

Here's the ones that fall into a unique category:

* 2001: I can't say how many times I've seen this. Let's just say.. a lot. Everytime it is in a theater, I will go. Every revival, every re-show, I'm there.

* Serenity. Can't Stop the Serenity. Now as a yearly fundraiser. We all go, every year, and I love it every time and the audience is great. This is a great, great fan performance piece.

* Rocky Horror Picture Show .. I haven't been lately, but another blast with an audience.

* Sound of Music Sing Along. Go. Take the kids. Go for yourself. Outside of the Buffy Sings Musical Roadshow (damn bring that back) this is a hoot and a half with kids.

* Fantasia

* Vertigo I've seen the re-release when it came out twice, and it has been run in limited showings around the US now and again in art houses. I'd catch it everytime. I realize there are dissenters, but I love this film.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
That would have started in the winter of 1962. The first time I had the desire and freedom to do such a thing.

"To Kill a Mockingbird".

I'm only going to mention films I saw at LEAST a dozen times in the theater.

"In The Heat Of The Night" and "Bonnie and Clyde" were both out in August of 1976. Was there any better way to spend the summer than to see them both again and again and again?

Then in November came "Cool Hand Luke".

"Blade Runner"
1982 and I remember very well how all the critics hated Blade Runner. I loved it, I went and saw it over and over. I recall driving over to San Antonio once because a theater was going to show it in 70MM, but when I got there they said the projector was broken.

January of 1984 brought "Blood Simple" and the reason I'm livid over the lack of ability to see it now is that I know every line, every beat, every turn of a ceiling fan, because I saw it so often.

So, as a new Coen follower, of course I was gonna get trapped by "Miller's Crossing".
Which thankfully no one saw a need to re-edit..you mother#*!k+#s.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to say I can remember all of the flicks that I saw more than once, but I only remember the most recent

Inception 2(third coming up soon)

OH wait!!

GREASE .... 11 times in the theatre ........ that would be the Mother and 2 sisters influence:)

Brent

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I just looked up the box office lists for the last 30 years to make my list. I was bored at work so I did it. But quite honestly I started remembering a lot of smaller films I saw twice like "Reservoir Dogs" and "Crying Game" that I didn't include because they weren't in the top grossing lists. So my list is actually much longer. But I'll spare you guys of that.

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
Years ago (sometime in the early or mid 1980's), my brother and I spent the entire day at the Fox Plaza movie theater. They were showing the original "Star Wars" film which had been re-released (not the special editions that came out years later). We only paid once and were supposed to leave after the first showing. But instead we sat through it 4 times that day and no one tried to kick us out! And even more amazing was that we were almost the only ones in the audience. There was a very small handfull of people during the first showing. But we literally had the run of the place during the 2nd, 3rd & 4th showing. I remember that vividly. I'm guessing that's why we were never asked to leave because the workers there were probably thinking "why bother?". We lived on popcorn and soda that day.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I can hardly think of any!

But in 1983 I did see the original Return Of The Jedi 3 or 4 times (not counting the Special Edition I saw once in 1997), and I saw Ruthless People (1986?) twice (why I remember that, I have no idea!) I also saw the Star Wars Special Edition twice in 1997 (not counting the original Star Wars I only saw once in 1982). The Empire Strikes Back original I saw once in 1982 and the Special Edition once in 1997. It's possible that I saw The Muppet Movie more than once in 1979, and maybe The Great Muppet Caper, but I really can't remember.

That's pretty much it, I guess. I'm sure there were many other movies when I was a kid that I begged my mom to take me to see more than once, but she didn't have much patience with repeat-viewings of anything. As an adult, there really haven't been any movies that I liked well enough too see twice theatrically. Like most people nowadays, 2nd viewings are on DVD or cable only.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
As a kid, we rarely went to the movies, so there was no possibility of, say, seeing Star Wars five times.

As a student, I never had time or money to go the theater but a few times a year, much less repeatedly view a movie.

Now as an employed adult, when I see a movie, even if I wanted to re-watch a film, my wife would veto it.

These day, the best chances for me are when something like The Matrix is re-released in IMAX and I go again for novelty. Or Avatar comes out, and I tell a friend he has to see it, so I catch it a second time with him. And more recently I've actually felt like rewatching a movie to soak it in. I'd like to see Inception again, but that may wait for home viewing.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
The Wedding Singer (2 times)
Spider-Man 2 (3 times)
Serenity (3 times)

fanny8788

Auditioning
Real Name
fanny8788 wilis
I have watched only few movies in theaters.Following ones are those movies:

Shrek Forever After

Titanic

Toy Story 3

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Here's my list ... and it's not that large, really. After purchasing my first DVD-based "home theater" in 1998 the movie had to be almost epic to warrant a second viewing in the theater. As is probably the case with many here, in most cases I simply waited for the DVD/Blu-ray release before seeing the movie the "first" time!

The Sound of Music

Patton (With my father, a World War II vet, who told me that was the most realistic war film he had ever seen.)

Goldfinger

Star Wars --- Three times: Once with my Science Fiction club, once with my family, and once with some friends. Of course, in those days "home video" didn't exist.

Superman

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Empire Strikes Back

Star Trek II -- The Wrath of Khan

E.T.

The Little Mermaid

Terminator 2

Titanic

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith (Three times -- twice digitally projected.) The last viewing was with the surviving friends that I viewed the original Star Wars movie with.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
When I was younger going to the movies was a treat and not something we did all the time, so most of my viewings were one time only. I do however remember when Annie was released I loved that movie so much that my parents actually took us twice. Shortly after I remember coming home and finding the Annie soundtrack on my bed. I remember pulling out my Mickey Mouse record player and listening to it over and over. I believe the only other film I saw more than once in the theaters (when I was younger) was Gremlins.

As an adult I've seen quite a few movies more than once in theaters.

Night of the Living Dead (original)

Rocky Horror Picture Show (Not only have I seen it a bazillion times, but I was a shadow player for a few years)

The Breakfast Club

Sixteen Candles

Welcome Home Roxy Carmichael

The Creature From the Black Lagoon

Fantastic Voyage

The Fly (goldbloom version)

The Thing

Alien and Aliens

Lord of the Rings trilogy

Halloween series

The Sound of Music

My Fair Lady

Grease

Misery

Who's That Girl, Desperately Seeking Susan (Madonna Fest)

I love to go to classic film showings and horror fests. So I will see the same movies over and over that way.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
At the age of 10 I had discovered the joys of the local "Dollar" Theater The Melvin's when I moved to St. Louis in 1978 and they would let a young guy stay there all day for multiple viewings on the weekends so throughout my developing years I would see many films multiple times but never as much as in the early 80's, say 1980 to 1984 before I found the wonderful world of girls...a fantastic four years BTW as far as popcorn and serious films are concerned...I mean you had double and triple bills of some great and schlock flicks all far a buck! (plus they would let a pre-teen such as myself into hard R film as well....COOL!!!)
Dressed to Kill - Excalibur - Altered States - Raging Bull - Friday The 13th - The Elephant Man - The Howling - Escape from New York - I Spit on Your Grave - Kramer vs. Kramer - The Sword and The Sorcerer - Time Bandits - Porky's - The Beastmaster - Without a Trace - Coming At Ya! - Dragonslayer - Educating Rita - Heartbeeps - Halloween II - Southern Comfort - Conan the Barbarian - 48hrs - Cat People - Blade Runner - Trading Places - The Beast Within - TRON - Gandhi - Fast Times at Ridgemont High - Poltergeist - The Dark Crystal - Firefox - An American Werewolf in London etc. etc. Most of these films I saw at least two to three times and a few that I really liked such as Blade Runner - The THING - Time Bandits - Dark Crystal - TRON I saw 8 or nine times.

I miss the days of the dollar show, the last film shown at The Melvin's was Total Recall in 1990...then they closed (as did MANY others in the St. Louis area..all at the same basic time) as the age of the multi-plex was growing even faster than ever before as well as the movie industry deciding that there wasn't enough profit in renting to dollar theaters anymore and going to video sooner was the way to fast cash.
I miss those days, there is nothing like seeing films in a theater without needing to mortgage the home to afford it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks