What's new

Movies with Shocking Endings? Name only. (1 Viewer)

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Some movies have "shocking" endings, in that they get you to spill all your left over popcorns, but it's not clever, as it just have a nice shock device at the end, and it's not a plot twist that shock you. Some movies do not cause you to jump, but they have nice twists. It's in the spirit of the nice plot twist that I nominate Rebecca.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
April Fools Day .
C'mon!
Phil
PS Empire Strikes Back did this to me, too, the first time I saw it as a kid. "What? That's it?"

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I agree with many already said...

1. The Game.....I doubt ANYBODY knew what was going on.
2. The Usual Suspects
3. Fight Club
4. Primal Fear
5. Big Hand For The Little Lady(nice call Joe)
6. The Vansihing(original)...pretty hardcore imo.
7. Mulholland Dr.......not so much an ending but kind of.
8. Presumed Innocent(all good calls Michael)
9. Memento

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
OK, time for a big black box of spoiler text, so I can discuss why 'The Game' counts as a cool twist:

If the film was by anyone else, I'd agree; the twist isn't that difficult. The film basically presents two possibilities - either its all a game, or they want to rob, kill or generally destroy him. So you've a 50/50 chance right off the bat, and normally the upbeat ending is what you'd expect from Hollywood. But going in, this was the third film from David Fincher, a guy who thought that killing Ripley would make a nice finale to the Alien trilogy, and put such a downer on SE7EN. So the film has an edge of danger about it; I really thought he could do that to us.

Plus, for spoiler-free geek points, Michael Douglas's dad is played by the guy who does the voice of Mario in the Nintendo games!

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Thirteenth Floor -- although I must admit it's not that "shocking" and even blur me spotted the ending coming.

Cube -- not "shocking", but certainly an interesting turn of events.

Scream -- pure nonsense, but fits into the "shocking ending" category. as does Scream 2. (haven't watched Scream 3 yet so I can't comment.)

Mission: Impossible -- somewhat twisty ending?

and how about that old classic, Psycho? but is there anyone out there today that doesn't have any inkling as to how that ends?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Shouldn't this be in Polls?
Anyway, how about..
Suspiria
Phenomena(out of all of the films I bring up, I can honestly say that I did not see "that" coming....truly bizarre)
Phantasm
The Fog
Rosemary's Baby(okay, I saw it coming but it was shocking at the time)
And I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this one yet but...
Burnt Offerings

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Seven
Unbreakable
Wild Things
Usual Suspects
The Game
Dumb and Dumber :)
The Abyss: Special Edition cut
Boogie Nights ;)
Contact
Devil's Advocate
Fight Club
Memento
Vanilla Sky
12 Monkey's
-Dean-

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I'll give one Avengers, I thought it was an action-adventure, 60s camp, and TV remake kind of movie instead I find it excellent to punish children, cure insomnia, and end constipation.:D

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I'd second 12 Monkeys. The end isn't a wild, twist, but it definitely isn't the ending you think you're going to get.

I always thought Hoop Dreams, for being a documentary, came to a rather unexpected conclusion of what happens to the two boys; Memento is also a good one, I'd also agree with Frailty..

Devils Advocate is a pretty interesting choice; I didn't care much for the film, but the ending was a pretty good twist; I'd put Star Trek: TWOK into the mix as well; when you first saw it, did you expect that as a conclusion?

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Sunset Boulevard...how could we possibly know that William Holden would end up dead?
Oh yeah. ;):laugh:
(if you've seen it you get the joke...and it's not a spoiler)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
A serious addition would be Psycho, though it's so famous now that it's ending (and other surprises) is probably known already.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The French duo Jean de Florette and Manon de Source (or "Manon of the Spring" translated). You should watch both in order to get the full story and impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks