What's new

Movies where you wanted more at the ending...(spoilers).. (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Regarding ROTJ, one member had a brilliant idea for the final shot, it had Luke walking up the steps and entering the long abandoned Jedi Temple to re-establish the Jedi order with the ghosts of Anakin, Obi-Wan and Yoda looking on proudly. It's just so poetic, the last time we saw a Skywalker walk up those steps was to bring death to the Jedi, and now it is to replenish life for the Jedi. :emoji_thumbsup:

Endings to action films always leave me wanting more, I always find myself wondering "Well, what happens to the hero now? Does he go to the hospital, go home, go to the police station for extensive questionng or what?"

Take Die Hard for example, McClane was most likely sued by the Nakatomi Corporation for causing so much damage to their building when he dropped that bomb down the shaft, they couldn't blame the destruction of the roof on him, but that shaft bit was all his fault LOL.

Now, I realize that they would never show that in the film, but it's still fun to imagine it. ;)

todd s

Senior HTF Member

I like that. But, since Mark Hamill is 25 years older. How about a shot of him filmed now...showing Luke(25 years older) in a restored Jedi Temple.

Carl_G

Stunt Coordinator
40 Year Old Virgin - no movie, even comedic, should end in a musical number!

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
DANCES WITH WOLVES, only a little bit.

I'm just slightly curious what actually happened to him after he rode off, on a futile effort to make the Native American cause known. Some text at the end, no new scenes, would have sufficed.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I know the 13th Warrior had reshoots done to it because Michael Crichton didn't like the first version that was delivered.

Gangs Of New York was cut down from 4 hours.

MichaelBA, did you ever see the extended cut of Dances With Wolves (it's 4 hours and sometimes airs on Encore and is on DVD)? It didn't add anything to the ending though. The movie is based on a novel and the sequel novel (The Holy Road) came out in 2002. I was disappointed by the book, but it shows what happens after the end of the movie. You might see Holy Road made into a movie eventually, but Kevin Costner wants nothing to do with it.

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
Thanks much for the info on HOLY ROAD, David. Never knew there was a sequel to the original book. [I've seen the extended DWW -- I'm still deciding which version I prefer.]

todd s

Senior HTF Member
David, regarding Holy Road. Can you give a synopsis of what happens? In spoilers of course. Thanks!

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman

I too would love to have seen the "scouring of the shire" where Merry and Pippin kick some human and hobbit butt. When I first read LOTR in high school, I though everything after the defeat of Sauron was boring and I couldn't understand why Tolkien included another 150 pages or so. The next time I read it, quite a few years later, these end chapters became my favorite part, especially the scouring. Of course, Jackson was criticized for what little he did include, but I would have sat there for another hour watching the screen fade in and out, no problem.

On another note, I thought "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead" ended a little more abruptly than I would have liked. Similar to "Limbo".

PattyFraser

Second Unit
The Lord of the Rings:Return of the King (no joke)

But only on the EE. I couldn't have set through more in the theaters, no matter how much I loved it. Age has lessened those capablities.

Nevertheless, on the EE I would have loved to see the ending that Cate Blanchett narrated (as she did the prologue.) I don't think it was The Scouring, as I understand that was never filmed, except the brief nod to it in Galadriel's mirror. But it seems to me I heard that the cast and crew (only) were given discs with an epilogue and I've love to see what that is.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Todd, I don't remember much about Holy Road anymore, but

It takes place 11 years later and Dunbar has kids. His wife gets separated from him as people try to make her a white woman with the relations to the family she was taken from in the first place. Dunbar goes to rescue his wife.

Other things go on, but the book is little of a blur to me now since I haven't read it in a long time. I felt disappointed by the ending though.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Reviving this thread since I just watched "School Ties" again this weekend and still want more to the ending. :laugh:

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Well, since you did revive the thread . . .
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Define "art movie". After all, this forum is devoted to the notion that movies in general are an art form. And since you started this thread, the film No Country for Old Men won the best picture Oscar, and that was a mainstream success with one of the most notoriously unresolved endings in recent film history.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
The Big Blue (US Version).

This is probably one of my favorite movies and aside from the fact that they had Rosanne Arquette as the female lead, I really have no complaints, except that I would love to see what happens to her after he leaves her at the water. Really, I think the ending is fine, but it's just one of those, wanting to see how she goes on after he leaves kind of things.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Oh yeah... and the whole movie of Twilight. Just remake the whole damn movie before the ending. The ending was actually fine.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

Michael, I consider movies that are not in general release from independents. And to be honest I saw this movie in theater in Red Bank, NJ that plays a lot of these types of movies. So would Battlefield Earth be considered "Art"?? :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks