What's new

Movies that promised a sequel but didn't deliver (1 Viewer)

James T

Screenwriter

Don't get me started on that. The planet Zeist? Even the "renegade" version made no sense. They changed the planet Zeist crap to A long, long, time ago. And then Highlander 3, they made the immortals trapped in this magical cave.

Then you have the series, which I'm guessing takes place in an alternate universe where Connor exists and defeated the Kurgan...but isn't the last immortal(not even close).

Rick ricardo

Auditioning
I seem to remember steven spielberg saying he felt like he had to make a sequel to e.t. Back when it first came out

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
In the '80's there was a lot of talk about a Mary Poppins sequel with Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke, and a Who Framed Roger Rabbit prequel...neither have come to pass.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
Sometime between 1990-1992, in an issue of People Magazine, I saw a picture of Anthony Perkins holding a clipboard with a butcher knife stuck through it. Under the photo was a small caption mentioning something about "Psycho V." The ending to "Psycho IV: The Beginning" (1990) certainly suggests another sequel with Norman's wife giving birth and the possibility of the Bates curse being passed on to the child as per Norman's fears.
Of course, due to Perkins' (unfortunate) death on September 12, 1992 a "Psycho V" never came to be. Instead, we got that awful 1998 remake. Why make a "Psycho" film without Anthony Perkins?

Bill Street

Stunt Coordinator
I'm waiting for a sequel to The Station Agent. That conclusion was so abrupt I swear it felt like that movie ended in the middle of a sentence of dialogue!

Bill S.

Anyone who's around my age (23) and was/is a video game geek should all remember the 1993 release of Super Mario Bros. I don't exactly recall the last minute (due in part to forced memory loss in order to retain my sanity), but I know for a fact they blatantly set that sucker up for a sequel. Too bad it brought in just enough cash to pay for a modest grocery bill for a family of 5; I don't think we'll be seeing SMB2 anytime soon.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

IIRC, he discussed his extreme reluctance to do so, though I think he did feel pressure to make one. I'm glad he didn't...

Shad R

Supporting Actor
The roger rabbit prequel was too bad. It was due to conflict with Steven and Disney. Steven had to Ok anything roger related, and they had a tiff over a Roger Rabbit short...so he never gave a go-ahead for the sequel.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Here is a really bad movie they wanted to make a sequel to... Most of you will probably not know what it is because it's a movie really not worth remembering...

Valentine!!! :thumbsdown:

Fortunately, the movie didnt make much of anything so hopefully plans are buried and dead for that one...

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Regarding Ep. 7-9 of Star Wars, wasn't Jedi kind of a condensed version of those three movies? I heard this before - not really sure if it's true.

Kevin Pask

Auditioning
A sequel to "Cat in the Hat" was announced before the movie opened.

Given the disappointing performance of the movie, they're probably wishing they hadn't made that announcement.

Kevin.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

As I recall, potential 7-9 were supposed to follow the group AFTER the events of Jedi - something like 20 years down the road. I think Lucas states that the three OT flicks originally were thought of as one movie, but he realized that was too much for one film and split them into three...

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Supergirl's tag line was "Her First Great Adventure".

I think Robert Towne has a third J.J. Gittes story written. I read about that in 1990 in Premiere when The Two Jakes was coming out.

Neil

Chris Rein

Stunt Coordinator
Don't think it will happen, but Daredevil 2. I really enjoyed the first one (one of a select few), and probably one of those "select few" who stayed through to watch the credits...

Bullseye didn't die.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Daredevil might have made moderate $$$ in the US, but overseas it was a pretty big hit. Reminds me of T3, which pulled in something like 150 million (not even the budget) but overseas raked in like 300 million... still a big profit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks