What's new

Movies that promised a sequel but didn't deliver (1 Viewer)

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Thanks, there are some really good ones here. For some of these, did they flat out say within the movie that a sequel was forthcoming or was a sequel simply implied?

For those that listed just the name of the movie, could you clarify where it is stated that a sequel would come?

(Thank you for the Condorman shout out. Damn, that gave me a chuckle. I think I saw that movie 20 times as a kid.:emoji_thumbsup: )

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I took it to mean there was an actual statement at the end of the film, or by the producers, that another film was forthcoming.

Nearly every film made "implies" that the story could be continued. We'd be here for ages talking about implied sequels.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
In Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid it's certainly stated, in a Steve Martin voiceover at the end of the film.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Mikael, that's coming out this summer.

He-Man had a scene at the end where Skeletor popped up out of the water and snarled or something, implying, but not expressly saying it was coming. The first, with all it's potential, sucked hard. I'd love to see it come to fruition today!

Hunter P

Screenwriter

Yes, to clairify I am interested on the movies that flat out state a sequel is coming within the movie itsself.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Didn't Dogma say something about "Clerks 2: Hardly Clerkin'"? Was that a joke? :)

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
No, I think that script is going to end up being the Clerks Animated Movie that's being worked on. I know smith has said off and on that it was a joke, but then i remember him also saying they thought it'd make a funny joke, but then they decided to actually MAKE a sequel, so it was true--and then they decided to just do it cartoon style

That one IS coming.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Unfortunately they weren't kidding about this one. There really is a sequel: Kung Pow 2: Tongue of Fury.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, Underworld certainly seemed to be set up for a sequel, but I don't know if it will come...

Jason

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned two of the more recent Hollywood franchise "blunders":

* The 1998 Emmerich/Devlin "Godzilla in Name Only" movie was originally supposed to be a trilogy.

* The 2001 Tim Burton helmed "re-imagined" Planet of the Apes movie ended in a as-yet-to-be-resolved cliffhanger.

Sebastien S

Second Unit
Star Wars 7-9 is right! That one still pisses me off to this day!!!

Lucas promised us 9 chapters back when I was a kid. Now because he took so much time to get to it... He won't do them because it would take too long and he wouldn't be able to make any other movies. By the time episode 9 would be finished, he'd be ready to retire...

I say if that's the way it has to be, so be it! It's not like anybody is actually interested in anything else he will do (one or two exceptions).

Given the choice, I would have prefered to see 7-9 instead of 1-3.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Oliver, there is a direct to video sequel coming sometime this year (imdb reports March - but I don't know how old that report is). It is titled Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

Wow...I did not know that. Probably horrible production value and none of that Verhoeven charm :), but I may check it out anyway.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
First movie that came to mind when I saw this thread:

The Sword and the Sorceror!!!

:D Confirming once again that HTF is the coolest place on the Web.

Count me in as always wanting sequels to Flash Gordon and Big Trouble in Little China, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks