What's new

Movies not on DVD caught in 'rights hell' (1 Viewer)

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
'Taking Off' (Milos Forman's first American film) is owned by Universal, but has never appeared on DVD. In this case, the problem appears to be with music rights, as there are a lot of songs on the soundtrack (part of the film takes place at a girls' singing talent contest). It's a shame that a DVD release has been held up so long, as it's a wonderful film.

Dave Danek

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone know about John Sayles' Baby It's You? Is that one in music rights hell? I recall the VHS and LD being on Paramount, and I know the film featured some Springsteen songs (Sony). I wonder if music is the problem. . .

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Sayles and Springsteen have worked together since (he directed the GLORY DAYS video) so I would think Springsteen could make an exception if that was the case.

But Sayles was never happy with the way Paramount treated the film (even though it is very good). They still have plenty of films on the shelf, so they probably aren't in any rush to release it.

JulianK

Supporting Actor

Finally due on DVD in May, according the the Bits!

This has been something of a holy grail for a friend of mine, so I'll be quite excited to see it!

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

Surprisingly, when BABY IT'S YOU was released on tape and laserdisc, the Springsteen songs were retained, but a rerecording of "Baby It's You" and one other '60's era pop song were substituted. The credits were crudely altered via videoburn to reflect this. I'm sure now the situation has worsened in terms of licensing that song score for DVD.

flagbrothers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Perry
The 1973 blaxploitation film "Abby" was released by AIP. However, WB sued because the content of the film they considered to be a "Exorcist" rip off. There has been several bootleg copies but as I understand it, the film elements has been either destroyed or lost. The rights are undetermined.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

There's a man in Louisville who worked with the director that claims to have the negative or a print close to it. I've heard Warner got the rights to the film after the lawsuit and if true I wish they'd release it on its own or as an extra on an eventual re-re-re-re-release of THE EXORCIST.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I would've thought MGM held the rights because of the Orion acquisition, but if Warner does in fact hold the rights, this would make a great addition to an Exorcist uber-box set, since Warner now holds the rights to the Morgan Creek-produced sequels as well (III, The Beginning and Dominion).

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm not certain as I'm getting most of this information from the "friend" of the director. I'm 100% certain he knew the director but I'm not certain on his claims of having a print. I do know that he has countless promotional materials from various films including ABBY. There's a video store in Louisville (Wild and Wooley) that has several of the lobby cards and an original one-sheet.

Again, I'm not certain on this so take it as a rumor. I've heard that the lawsuit gave Warner control of the film and they are the ones who have buried it. If this is true, perhaps they could release it as an extra. If MGM has the rights, I'm not sure this would sell enough for them to start another legal issue over it. The two sides would have to shake hands, which seems like it should be possible since ABBY has all been forgotten about and Warner has certainly made their money from THE EXORCIST.

Fabian Kusch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fabian Kusch
Does anyone know of the situation concerning the DVD rights to Billy Wilder's last movie BUDDY BUDDY (1981)?

There doesn't seem to be any DVD of this film worldwide, nor an announcement to release it anytime soon.

As BUDDY BUDDY is the only film absent from my collection of Wilder DVD's and since I am anxious to see it again after quite some time: Does anyone know if it's caught in rights hell at this time?

Fabian Kusch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fabian Kusch

As a pre-1986 MGM movie, shouldn't it be part of the Turner catalogue then and ready for distribution by Warner Home Entertainment?

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
What about "Split Image" (1982). Originally distributed by Orion and Embassy Home Video, it no longer seems available anywhere.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
BABY IT'S YOU appears to be one of the Paramount titles that Legend Films will be releasing. See the "Hell Freezes Older" thread for more news.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Michael Winner made two great swinging '60s films in 1967 "I'll Never Forget What's 'isname" & "The Jokers". Anchor Bay released "I'll Never Forget" & as I understand it, tried to release "The Jokers" but it was held up by some music rights issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks