Movies Dealing with A.I.

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Darren Crouse, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Darren Crouse

Darren Crouse Stunt Coordinator

I'm to lead a seminar in my Digital Culture M.A. course on Artificial Intelligence in the next couple of weeks and am currently looking for films that deal with the subject on both a pejorative and positive manner. Titles I thought of were, A.I.(duh), 2001(Hal), Robocop(ED209), Bladerunner (Replicants). Anymore insights would help immensely.

Thanks,
    Darren.

2. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

The only one that comes to mind is THE FORBIN PROJECT, but it is not available on DVD.

3. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

There is also DEMON SEED, but I do not think it is on DVD either. There was a comedy involving a personal computer that gets intelligent. I believe it was called HEART BEEPS.

4. James Zubb

James Zubb Stunt Coordinator

Lets see, off the top of my head:

Westworld, short circuit, D.A.R.Y.L., Bicentenial Man, Iron Giant, Cherry 2000...

Can't believe you missed Terminator and Matrix series!

Quality varies. [​IMG] Probably do a plot search on robot or artifcial intelligence on IMDB and get a whole lot more ideas.

Are you sticking to Hollywood fare? There is a ton of Japanese Anime you could use.

5. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

Ghost in The Shell.

6. Darren Crouse

Darren Crouse Stunt Coordinator

Wow that was quick. Keep'um coming.

Thanks,
    Darren.

7. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

The Star Wars films, due to the fact that droids are treated as second class citizens compared to organics. (That would cover pejorative) [​IMG]

8. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Hardware.

9. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

Films:
    Wargames (computer learns futility of war)
    Dark Star (hilarious intelligent bomb)

Television:
    Max Headroom
    Red Dwarf

Brad

10. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    How about the Alien movies? Not sure about the others, but Aliens deals with some animosity between a person and a cyborg.

11. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Red Planet, the robot military(cat?). Definitely shows the bad of A.I. [​IMG]

12. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

Electric Dreams

13. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

Electric Dreams was the movie that I posted about earlier but I made a mistake with the title and called it HEART BEEPS. HEART BEEPS is about two androids who decide to start a family. Don't ask me how. [​IMG]

14. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

[​IMG]

15. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Virus? But that movie sucked....

The anime film Metropolis is actually a really good portrayal of A.I. vs. humanity and how one can manipulate the other. The anime series Lain is a little into A.I. stuff, but more about technology and the modern culture.

16. Paul_Sjordal

Paul_Sjordal Supporting Actor

Ghost in the Shell — This movie has a couple of twists from the usual AI vs. humans story. A cyborg questions her own humanity. The superhacker "Puppet Master" turns out to be a program rather than a programmer. He unsuccessfully applies for asylum as a life form. He concludes that to truly be alive he must gain two things: reproduction and death. He gets both by the end of the movie. Movie includes a lot of speculation about what it means to be self-aware and what it means to be alive (a common feature of most of the better AI-related science fiction IMO). Terminator (and sequels) — Man creates machine. Machine goes crazy and decides to commit genocide against man. As AI vs human stories go, this is about as unoriginal and short on details as you can possibly get, but has the advantage of being known by just about everybody, and so makes a good example for discussion. Matrix and related material — The more interesting points actually come from the online comics and Animatrix. This is just as well-known as Terminator, but a little more sophisticated: the machines tried everything to live in peace with mankind before giving in and waging war (a war that the humans started). Blade Runner — There are two kinds of "man should not play God" robot stories. One kind says we should not play God because our creation would cause us to suffer (e.g. Terminator). Blade Runner is of the other sort that says we should not play God because we would cause our creation to suffer (e.g. Armitage). I, Robot — This collection of stories are the robot stories against which all others are compared. Asimov takes a slightly different look at things. Rather than look at what it means to be self-aware or alive, he asks what it would take to create a rational, functional moral system from nothing. He then proceeds to show that it wouldn't be anywhere near as easy as one might think. I know, it's not a film (yet), but you can't have this discussion without bringing up Asimov, IMO. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy — This one doesn't contribute anything to the discussion about AI. We learn nothing new about self-awareness or morality. Instead we get a good laugh at a scathing parody of AI: someone finally creates a fully self-aware machine and the machine turns out to be a self-absorbed manic depressive. Again, not a movie, but popular books, radio show and TV series. A.I. — As a movie it's OK, but as a robot story it left me disappointed. It started out with an interesting premise: let's talk about love instead of self-awareness. It then proceeds to tell us nothing new (or even particularly interesting) about love. Still, it's been seen by a lot of people and so makes it good discussion fodder. 2001 — Classic, classic, classic. I don't even need to discuss it, do I? It has everything a good robot story oughtta: self-awareness, man-shouldn't-play-God, and a nice little discussion on morality.

17. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

The Star Trek movies with Data in them.

18. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Circuitry Man, which has a kind of neat side story of an android coming to grips with a false belief that he is human.

Tron as well, including hot, hot program-user lip action!
    [​IMG]

19. Whit

Whit Auditioning

Fast, Cheap, and Out of Control is a documentary by Errol Morris. One of the sections of it focuses on a fellow from MIT that is specializing in Artificial Intelligence in robots. It's quite fascinating, and a little bit frightening. That being said, the beautiful visuals accompanied by dreamy music may knock out a large portion of your audience.

20. Stephanie T.

Stephanie T. Stunt Coordinator

If you can incorporate a few Twilight Zone eps, there's "I Sing the Body Electric," based on the Bradbury story, about an AI nanny; the story about the nasty curmudgeon who invents an AI robot version of himself in order to continue tormenting his niece after he dies; and the story about a post-apocalyptic town that, IIRC, believes in the omniscence of a computer in a cave.