What's new

Movies 4 You: Timeless Westerns on Blu-ray from Timeless Media (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I just watched Rio Conchos on this disc. Beautiful transfer. Good color and detail. It still had reel changeover markers, which would indicate it was sourced from a print. Only negative was there are a few portions of the film that suffer from damaged sound elements. In a perfect world they would have found alternate sources to replaced the bad sound elements. Still a very satisfying purchase.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Not always, Mark. Many times, the reel changeover cues are found in the 35mm composite fine grain masters as well.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Mark-P said:
I just watched Rio Conchos on this disc. Beautiful transfer. Good color and detail. It still had reel changeover markers, which would indicate it was sourced from a print. Only negative was there are a few portions of the film that suffer from damaged sound elements. In a perfect world they would have found alternate sources to replaced the bad sound elements. Still a very satisfying purchase.
There was damage inherent to the original sound elements, but it wasn't near as bad as the crackling buzz that sounded like a worn out VHS that came up in several instances.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Professor Echo said:
Mark, are there any extras on this disc or will I have to hang onto the SD to keep the great RIO CONCHOS trailer?
Extras are as follows:
Rio Conchos - Trailer 1080i 1.75:1
Take a Hard Ride - Trailer 1080i 1.75:1, interview with Fred Williamson 1080i, interview with Jim Kelly 1080i
Butch and Sundance - Trailer 1080i 1.33:1, Interview with William Katt 1080p
The Last Hard Men - Trailer 1080i 1.33:1

The interview with William Katt was definitely shot in HD as it was 1080p, but all the other extras may have been upconverted from standard definition. With my Blu-ray player set to "original resolution" they were all 1080i.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Lromero1396 said:
There was damage inherent to the original sound elements, but it wasn't near as bad as the crackling buzz that sounded like a worn out VHS that came up in several instances.
The "crackling buzz" is what I was referring to as damaged sound elements.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Mark, the "crackling buzz" seemed to be uneven between the stereo channels and was an abnormal stereo effect. Thus, there's no way it could be damage to the original mono source.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Watched Rio Conchos and I agree that the audio issue during a few minutes of the swamp sequence is the only major issue I had with this. I still have the DVD Shout! released a couple years back so I'll check that to see if that also had the same audio issue.

I found the transfer quality inconsistent at times, where it would often transition between looking meh to very good between scenes although it was more consistently good toward the latter half of the movie (or maybe I just stopped noticing it). Perhaps optical shots may have had something to do with it but I'd probably rate the video quality 3.5/5
Mark-P said:
Extras are as follows:
Rio Conchos - Trailer 1080i 1.75:1
While I did appreciate the inclusion of the full trailer, I would have never known it was 1080i as it looked like it was sourced from a video tape or very dupey elements.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
JoHud said:
While I did appreciate the inclusion of the full trailer, I would have never known it was 1080i as it looked like it was sourced from a video tape or very dupey elements.
I did say in my post that the 1080i material may have been upconverted from SD.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Bob Furmanek said:
Not always, Mark. Many times, the reel changeover cues are found in the 35mm composite fine grain masters as well.

Yep, they saved a lot of man hours doing that. I bought the set from Amazon UK Marketplace, just over £12 delivered, 2nd hand, but when it arrived it was new & sealed. I'm very happy with it, it looks too good to come from a print, the whites would be blown & the blacks clogged up...and it's region B friendly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks