What's new

Movie Serials (1 Viewer)

howardWB

Grip
...and I ain't talking Kellogs folks! *LOL* Trying to decide which movie serials from the 1930's to early 50's I need for my classic DVD collection? I just picked up probably one of the best ones,"The Adventures of Captain Marvel" on Republic DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...-6269617?n=130

I've been recommended to pick up "Zorro's Fighting Legion":

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

I think I want to get "Buck Rogers", "Flash Gordon", but what about "Secret Agent X-9", "Dick Tracy", "Holt of The Secret Service", "The Phantom"? Also, what others can be recommended and which DVD labels have the best prints of whatever you recommend?

Thanking in advance! It's appreciated!

Regards,
Howard
:)

George Reis

Stunt Coordinator
"The Adventures of Captain Marvel" is one of my favorites, and you can't go wrong with the three "Flash Gordon" serials (the Image versions look really nice), "Buck Rogers" (VCI) the two "Batmans" (Sony) and "The Phantom" (VCI. Looking forward to the two "Superman" serials coming from Warner this year.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I assume Paramount acquired the rights to most of the Republic Serials via their recent acquisition of the company.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
I certainly hope Paramount gets around to their Republic serials such as DAREDEVILS OF THE RED CIRCLE, MANHUNT OF MYSTERY ISLAND, the DICK TRACY and ZORRO series, THE MYSTERIOUS DOCTOR SATAN, THE CRIMSON GHOST and others

Likewise, Columbia has some great serials other than the two BATMAN chapterplays. THE SPIDER'S WEB and THE SPIDER RETURNS are a lot of fun, as are CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT, and THE IRON CLAW, just to name a few.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
How's the Republic Dick Tracy serials put out by VCI?

I believe they are out of print right now, but I came accross a copy in a new record store in Mtl earlier today and am thinking of going back tomorrow afternoon to pick it up. It was only CAN $12.

I've never seen this series before, is it quality?

Did VCI source decent prints?

Thanks!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm really, really hoping we'll eventually get more serials from Republic (well, Lionsgate). Spy Smasher is my favorite serial and I'd love to have it on disc. Captain Marvel is a lot of fun (might be the best) and the first Flash Gordon serial is classic. The Image/Hearst FG discs are the best since they're great transfers from original film elements (not collector's prints like VCI).

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
I've heard that the VCI set is the best quality version out there. DICK TRACY is a great serial in every aspect, although in terms of the quality of the film, every print I've ever seen of it has a dupey look to it, and is usually mistimed. I don't know what VCI worked from, but just expect that in advance.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Jack,

I went back and grabbed it today along with a hanbdfull of records (great store!) and it turned out to be a brand new, sealed copy. What a score!

I'm looking forward to watching it tonight, if I can find the time...

Clay_E

Second Unit

I hadn't heard about this! Any information on when these are supposed to be released?

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
If nothing else, I really want Lionsgate to give us DVD editions of DAREDEVILS OF THE RED CIRCLE, FIGHTING DEVIL DOGS and SPY SMASHER. Please, Lionsgate, please!

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator
AC Comics has started to put some serials out and among them are Spy Smasher and the second Nyoka serial, Nyoka and the Tigermen. These are on DVD-R discs, I believe. I don't know if you can find them anywhere but from AC themselves...do an internet search for their website.

A couple of the VCI serials have their logo show up periodically in the lower right corner of your TV while you're watching. I'm not sure if this is the case with more than two but their logo shows up on both Captain Video and Riders Of Death Valley. Other than that, I like Riders of Death Valley, a western starring Dick Foran, Buck Jones, Guinn "Big Boy" Williams, Noah Beery Jr. and Leo Carrillo among others. And Captain Marvel is one of the best but I've not seen the DVD of it iso I can't vouch for the quality there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks