What's new

Movie score legend Jerry Goldsmith has died (1 Viewer)

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor
My favorite Jerry Goldsmith music:
Total Recall(1990)
Basic Instinct(1992)
Star Trek (Films)
Gremlins (Films)

RIP Jerry

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Yes Jerry is definitely going to be missed! One of the greatest film composers of all time!!

May he rest in peace!

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
This comes as quite a shock. I didn't even know the gentleman was ill. :frowning:

From IMDB:

I especially appreciate the innovative new instrument, the "blaster beam", that is used to represent V'Ger in the Star Trek score. It's an 18-foot long piece of metal with piano wires stretched across it, played by striking it with a mallet.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Favorite Jerry Goldsmith's:

BASIC INSTINCT
A PATCH OF BLUE
RUDY
FIRST BLOOD
STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT
THE OMEN
HOOSIERS
POLTERGEIST
TOTAL RECALL

Ryan Belfast

Stunt Coordinator
Jerry was one of fav film composers. Gremlins bein my most fav. From all us film fans in Northern Ireland. May he rest in peace.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
I've been trying to decide which Jerry Goldsmith DVD to watch tonight - there are so many great ones. I think I'll go with A PATCH OF BLUE - a sad but lovely score, and a fine memorial to him.

Scott David

Stunt Coordinator
So many great scores...His most underrated, IMHO, was his score for "Papillon". His "Gift from the Sea" piece, from the scene where Steve McQueen is swimming with the native girl, is a particular favorite.

R.I.P.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

I think A PATCH OF BLUE perfectly symbolizes Jerry's genius! I think Jerry is mostly known for his big scores however some of his greatest works are the small scores he had for movies like A PATCH OF BLUE, RUDY and HOOSIERS.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
POLTERGEIST is probably my all time favorite score for a film... and Jerry Goldsmith is my favorite composer. Im sorry his contributions to the wonderful world of movies has come to an end.

:frowning:

Kenny Foor

Stunt Coordinator
I just can't believe this has happened. I had to get my Goldsmith collection out. Right now I'm listening to The Construction from the Explorers soundtrack. Next up is the Baku Village from Star Trek Insurrection. What a shame.:frowning:

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Great idea, I think, to pay tribute to a talented, talented musician by grabbing a favorite soundtrack CD or DVD of a movie his music is so involved in.

Only ONE lousy Oscar for all of the wonderful scores he's written? Considering some of the crap he's lost the nominations to, you would hope that there would be some way to make it up to him. Perhaps he had the last laugh in that respect, since people seem to remember his music so well, even the ones that didn't win the Oscars. And how many of the scores he lost to are in anyone's collections or even memories?

My personal favorite is Patton, not only for the echoing trumpet, [hauntingly, achingly wonderful] but also the march that opens the picture. General Patton himself would have loved it.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"Only ONE lousy Oscar for all of the wonderful scores he's written?"

Hey, it's the Academy. At least Goldsmith was thrown a bone by the AMPAS -- Kubrick, Hitchcock and Scorsese don't even have that distinction.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
One of the greats is gone, he'll not be replaced.
Gone but never forgotten as long as film lives.
I'll not bother to mention my favorites as there are too many to name.

Alphonse Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I find "RUDY" to be the score I always go to when I need to be inspired.

Goodbye, Mr. Goldsmith, your music will live on.

-Alphonse

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
I'm shocked... Goldsmith always came off so vibrant and enthusiastic in DVD extra interviews, I had no idea he'd pass away so soon. Definitely one of the American score masters. From Star Trek to LA Confidential, he understood how music could speak to an audience. He'll be dearly missed.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
For something a little different, check out the Our Man Flint / In Like Flint two-fer CD released a few years ago (now playing in my office).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks