What's new

Movie everyone loved but you hated? (1 Viewer)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

I don't really care about Ryan surviving, but from what I remember of it, I think the movie would have worked better for me if he had turned out to be a more ambiguous character. When the group found Ryan and he turned out to be the gosh-darned swellest young man on the planet, it took me out of the movie a bit :)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Fight Club - the end does not justify the means
Forest Gump - this guy invented everything except the light bulb and the wheel
Chicago - a musical about murderers as an uplifting experience - maybe for Sean Penn, not for me
Dogma - pure dreck
Silent Bob and Jay - or whatever their names are - Strike Back - embarassing for everyone involved especially Mark Hamill

Will K

Screenwriter
It's just me, but usually, when I think of "Everybody," I think of the general public, co-workers, neighbors, etc, not really film-lovers. Those four came to mind because I heard "Everybody" flap their gums about how great they were.

Jon Mahoney

Stunt Coordinator
The Naked Gun Series.
I hated the two I saw and don't have any urge to watch them again. I find him stupid and not funny what so ever. Apparently I'm one of the only ones.

Kill Bill Vol 1
I know what its supposed to be and what its supposed to a tribute to etc., I just didn't like it. Got boring after the first 10,000 people were killed.

Snatch
I don't hate it, it was OK. But everyone I know thinks this is such an outstanding film, I just didn't really like it.

The Royal Tannenbaums
I've been told that "I don't get the dark humor" or "I don't have a dry sense of humor" because I thought this film was horrible. I sat in the theater and would have walked out if I wasn't with 6 other people. I love dark and dry humor, but this was just awful. I think I laughed once. Maybe.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

You know, David, you kind of hit it on the nail what I dislike so much about this current thread -- a thread about a topic that recurs here on a semiannual basis. And the flaw of this recurring thread topic is this sort of thinking: "I dislike [name of movie], therefore it's overrated [or a POS or whatever]." Instead of acknowledging that a given film might, in fact, be good but one may simply not like it, we slide down the slippery slope of assuming our dislike translates into the film being bad or a POS.

Many films mentioned here are bad. Some are not -- by a longshot.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Now that took guts. I'll riposte with The French Connection. I just don't see what all the hubbub's about.

--Jefferson Morris

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I've tried several times to view Moulin Rouge. I have the dvd, blind buy, can't get through it. It's a shame because the packaging of the 2disk is so enticing. Menus are beautiful, sets and costumes gorgeous. Maybe it's the Elton John song, can't put my finger on it.

I despise Signs and many love this one.

If a person I know likes Armageddon, it's a pretty good indication we wouldn't have much to discuss over a beer. I can't get through that one either.

chris winters

Second Unit
somtimes movies are considered great becuase of the time in which they were made. This is true for all art. A piece that made an important statement in 1965 may seem cartoonish and no longer relevent today. It could, however, still be considered important for its place in our cultural history, This could be whats happening for some of the older movies being mentioned, i.e. french connection. At its time of release The French connection was fairly revolutionary for its car chases, and anti-hero etc...Now a couple decades, and countless action films, later its harder for it to hold on to the visural thrill it provioded when it was initially released.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Ah, the Citizen Kane factor. That is sort of the feeling that I got when I watched it - that since the new cinematic vocabulary the film explored is now de rigeur in every primetime cop show, the impact probably has been dilluted.

Also, I think I was expecting more from Friedkin - his very next film (you know, the one about the possessed girl in Georgetown) never ceases to bowl me over. Though I suppose today's young audiences probably watch the crucifix scene and shrug their shoulders: "I guess this was considered shocking at some point. Whatever."

Time marches on.

--Jefferson Morris

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
For me, the most overblown, over-rated movie I've seen to date was The Blair Witch Project. Everyone I knew was raving about it, so I finally went to see it. Terrible terrible movie that was SO over-hyped it was amazing. :thumbsdown:

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
That too, I think that was one of the turning points of the movie. I couldn't stop thinking how they ruined a movie that started out so promising. The DTS soundtrack, Omaha Beach, is still one of my demo pieces but I hardly ever watch it again other than that. Das Boot, One Flew Over Cuckoo's Nest and Trainspotting are probably the only ones that see regular reruns on my system anyways.

Don't know if I hate them but I definitely think they are overrated.

Beautiful Mind
About Schmidt
Chicago
What Time Is It There?
Face/Off
(genuine hate for this one. I know many people here might think its garbage but my friends seem to love it).
A Mighty Wind

Scott McAllister

Stunt Coordinator
Shawshank Redemption???? Blasphemer!!! :D

I have to agree with Mulin Rouge. Pretty colors and over the top acting do not make a good movie.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"When the group found Ryan and he turned out to be the gosh-darned swellest young man on the planet, it took me out of the movie a bit"

Ryan is a metaphor for the future. The soldiers give their life to save generations unborn, which is what Ryan represents. "Earn this" is not a man-to-man bit of dialogue, it is a challenge from the generation that fought WWII (Spielberg's father) to the generations of today. Earn this death. Earn this sacrifice.

Ryan is characterized by decency and strong values, representing Spielberg's optimism and respect for America - despite the country's flaws, at heart, the American people are decent and honorable. Ryan represents America, hence Ryan is worth saving.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks