What's new

Movi2000 (1 Viewer)

Orin Dym

Stunt Coordinator
After having built a HTPC (Theatertek software, radion card etc) I was hooked on its video advantages, but the children wanted the computer so I purchased the Movi2000 with the Mike Parker Video upgrade. I have only had it 2 days, but so far my impressions are:

Very nice build quality. Case is solid and attractive.
Fast boot times (30 seconds top)
Nice remote control functions
Seems to Auto scale anamorphic, non anamorphic, and 4:3.
Video quality is very good, and I would say a little better than any of the top end DVD players I have tried (Pan. RP91, Sony 9000ES, Philips Q50). One of my video torture test is in the beginning of LOTR, after Gollum finds the ring, the video becomes a panning shot over the mountains before we see his cave. The resolution of the foliage on the mountain can be tough. At its worst I have seen it look like green splotches, and with better DVD players it at least looks like green foliage. With the Movi, the trees are nicely resolved, including the snow on them.

Can you build a better, faster HTPC for the money? I would say yes, but it is nice having a HTPC that is easier to use than a DVD player. I felt it is well worth the money.

Orin Dym

Stunt Coordinator
www.movimagic.com
AVScience has been having a special on them.
There is a great deal of discussion on the unit at www.avsforum.com just search on Movi.
It is in essence a "Theater Tek Appliance"--a HTPC stripped down to performing the function of a stand alone DVD player, with the benefits of HTPC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks