What's new

Mounting the speakers upside down? (1 Viewer)

ECRacer

Grip
Real Name
Jared Duncan
I have the Energy Classic 5.1 and the Atlantic speaker stands. The only way to mount them would be upside down. Is this gonna affect the sound with bass hole at the top of the satellite?

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Given the smaller size of the Energy classics you should not have any problem installing them upside down. But I wonder why you have to do this as the Energy's do not appear to have an odd shaped speaker.

ECRacer

Grip
Real Name
Jared Duncan
There is a wire bracket on the Atlantic speaker stand, but it only goes about halfway up the speaker. The mounting hole for the speaker is higher than halfway. Another option would be to screw the speaker to the base of speaker mount bracket, I just didn't want to screw into my new speakers. Thanks for the reply.

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
Don't put holes in your new speakers... turn them upside down.

ECRacer

Grip
Real Name
Jared Duncan
Would turning them upside down change the sound? The bass hole is on the bottom and ultimately would be on top. I guess another option would be to try to make longer wire brackets out of ceiling grid or something. Man, I am glad you guys chimed in, I almost put some screws in these puppies. Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Real Name
Jim Wyrosdick
Originally Posted by ECRacer ...I guess another option would be to try to make longer wire brackets out of ceiling grid or something. Man, I am glad you guys chimed in, I almost put some screws in these puppies. Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Hi Jared

The reason I am on the forum is that I am not knowledgeable with the audio/video aspect of this hobby. I am however rather clever and modest about mechanical problem solving. Since you will ultimately spend many hours enjoying your HT then, IMHO it would be worth the effort to try a little experiment as follows. Mount your speakers upside down if it is very simple to do so and listen _very closely_ so you will have a good memory of the overall performance. Use your favorite music, not movies to test. If you like it leave it. If displeased then devise and make a well thought out speaker-to-stand adapter plate to hold the speakers the way they were designed.

As no one is familiar with your situation then the exact fix can not be posted. However, if it were me I would take card board from a beer pack, a pencil and a few drawing tools and cut a template which should fit the speaker bolt pattern perfectly. Be careful with this step since a suitable design configuration is inversely proportional to beer consumption (- : It may take a few attempts to get what you want but with a little thought this template can be used to transfer the design to a sturdy enough piece of metal, cut it out, paint it and hang it. You may not have the drills and saws needed for this project but I'll bet you know someone who does. Good luck with whatever option you choose.

Jim@MilkyWay

-------------------

ECRacer

Grip
Real Name
Jared Duncan
Hey Jim, my stands are a 3 inch square plate with a thin wire loop U that is bent and supposed to support the speaker from behind using the speaker mounting hole. The loop is made to have the speaker screw go anywhere in the loop, but the loop doesn't go high enough. The square plate also has 4 mounting holes in the bottom but I don't want to screw into the speakers. I will try to use ceiling grid wire to make longer wire U's. Thank you for your advice, I will keep it in mind. I will let you guys know how the ceiling grid works out.

winniw

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Reed
The only thing that you need to watch out for when mounting your speakers upside-down is to ensure that the face of the speaker is not rear-ward of the front edge of the speaker stand shelf. Since the upside-down position puts the tweeter very close to the stand's shelf, if the face of the speaker is behind the edge of the shelf, high-frequencies would be diffracted by the edge of the shelf and cause anomalies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks