What's new

Moulin Rouge! (2001) (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Wow...I bought Moulin Rouge sight unseen, and WOW! I can't get enough of it. I love the interlude of love songs scene. Just an incredible flick and an astounding DVD!

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
This is the best film of 2001. The story being subjected to many interpretations with the most popular being the Orpheus in the Underworld myth. (Another being an allegory of Biblical proportions), the unconventional narrative and style, this is one of the most stylized films I've ever had the privilege to see. The acting: beautiful, the cinematography: beautiful, the editing: beautiful (if you don't believe me watch the Roxanne sequence again). This is one of those perfect films that comes along once every 5 or 10 years. One that leaves you breathless and inspired. One that divides it's audience with black and white. One so beautiful to the point it hurts. It's the first movie that I sat through the entire credits in the theaters until I was the last one. I do not feel mad at those who don't "get it". I more feel sympathy for them for missing out on the definitive movie experience of the year. It's everything Hollywood ever wanted to be in the golden years. Now it's finding it's way out.

~Kevin

Guy_K

Second Unit
I put this film in my top 10 for 2001, but I don't think all those who didn't like it didn't 'get it.' Isn't that a little arrogant to presume? Many people understood it fully, but it just wasn't their cup of tea.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Moulin Rouge certainly brings out very strong opinions. Personally, my wife and I had a similar reaction that many people here described -- for the first 10-15 minutes we looked at each other with that "I can't believe we are watching this" look (I was thinking "MTV meets Rocky Horror"). Then it just clicked for both of us, and we were blown away by the film.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well, the script is just Shakespeare in Love all over again, virtually identical (and that won best screenplay).
Poor artist woos woman promised to evil rich dude. The woman falls in love with the artist and his work. The lovers carry out their relationship right under everyone's noses with her starring in the production that he is writing. Their love affair is his inspiration for every bit that he write, some of it comes directly from their lovers conversations while not at the production.
Broadbent has Rush's role as the owner of the "club" trying to keep the wolves at bay and appease anyone that the artist offends. Affleck and Koman (the sleeping Argentinian) both have the wise, star actor side role in which they bring great knowledge and wisdom to the situation, along with some comic relief.
In the end, the evil rich guy loses the girl but so does the artist. The artist takes inspiration from the experience however, and will now go on to great works of art.
Of course I loved both films.
BTW, maybe I was the freak, but from the second I realized that the little director was going to be part of the film cleverly interacted with the FOX logo to about 30 minutes into the film I had a smile plastered on my face. For me this was my favorite part up through Elephant Love Song which I thought was spectacular (no pun intended).

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I've never heard the name before...is it foreign? Is it a word? If so, what's the definition?

I'll leave you HTF squirrels to become better acquinted..ta ta!

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
The whole Sound of Music bit, and the dizzying effect of the first entrance into the club, and the goofiness of Nirvana had me about ready to turn it off. Then Nicole Kidman made her entrance and I was hooked.
This is EXACTLY the way I felt. At first, I found it sooo annoying, I was about ready to switch it off and return it to the store, but I persevered, and it ended up, thanks mostly to Kidman, to be a rather enjoyable film. The style is sumptuous and unique, and while some aspects still irritated me, I would recommend it to others. Certainly NOT one of my top 10s of 2001 though.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I worry that people seem to feel there's something to 'get' about this movie. It's just a movie. You either like it or you don't. There's no 'high-art' aspect to it that requires more than that. It's not the Turner prize... :confused:

Mark Hobbs

Stunt Coordinator
This is a really dumb question, but can someone tell me how to play the DTS version? I seem to be stuck on Dolby Digital.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Mark, is your DVD Player/Receiver dts compatable? If so, just go into the language menu (I believe) for MR and select dts. If this does not work, you may have to go into you DVD Players set-up menu.
Peace Out~:D

perrin

Stunt Coordinator
I have just seen "Moulin Rouge," and I have a question. What kind of illness was afflicting Nicole Kidman's character? It was never discussed in the film, and I would like to know. The symptoms were shortness of breath and fainting. I hope someone can help me.

Perrin

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
Yep... when I saw the film, I knew it was tuberculosis right away because I immediately thought of "Tombstone" and Doc Holiday.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Its kind of like an homage to Opera, where the heroine is always dying from 'consumption'. Ah, the good ol' days, where the diseases were always incurable and contagious. :D

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Since this discussion concerns the film(s) and not the DVD(s), I'm moving the thread to Movies.
M.

Billy Fogerty

Stunt Coordinator
All I can say, Moulin Rouge has to be one of the worst movies to come down the pike in a long time. Sheer garbage. IMHO

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I am not an opera afficionado, but wasn't the homage directly to the opera "La Boheme" (or however it is spelled)? I believe the romantic lead suffers (and dies?) from consumtion in that, as well. Isn't Baz doing a live version of this, as we speak? That would be fun to see. Viva la vie boheme!

Phil

Mark Hobbs

Stunt Coordinator
When Satine faints right after they are caught kissing on the balcony, the doctor comes to see about her and he tells the guy that runs the show that she is dying from "consumption". It is what they used to call teberculosis.

One of the best movies of the year, IMHO. With all the garbage Hollywood throws at us every week, it is nice to see something different. If you consider this "one of the worst movies to come down the pike in a long time", I guess all I can say to that is enjoy watching Sorority Boys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks