What's new

Moulin Rouge! (2001)

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
Title: Moulin Rouge!

Tagline: No Laws. No Limits. One Rule. Never Fall In Love.

Genre: Drama, Romance, Music

Director: Baz Luhrmann

Cast: Nicole Kidman, Ewan McGregor, John Leguizamo, Jim Broadbent, Richard Roxburgh, Garry McDonald, Jacek Koman, Matthew Whittet, Kerry Walker, Caroline O'Connor, Christine Anu, Natalie Mendoza, Lara Mulcahy, David Wenham, Kylie Minogue, Ozzy Osbourne, Deobia Oparei, Linal Haft, Keith Robinson, Peter Whitford, Norman Kaye, Arthur Dignam, Carole Skinner, Jonathan Hardy, Plácido Domingo, Kiruna Stamell, Anthony Young, Dee Donavan, Johnny Lockwood, Don Reid, Tara Morice, Daniel Scott, Veronica Beattie, Lisa Callingham, Rosetta Cook, Fleur Denny, Kelly Grauer, Jaclyn Hanson, Michelle Hopper, Fallon King, Wendy McMahon, Tracie Morley, Sue-Ellen Shook, Jenny Wilson, Luke Alleva, Andrew Aroustian, Stephen Colyer, Steve Grace, Mark Hodge, Cameron Mitchell, Deon Nuku, Shaun Parker, Troy Phillips, Rodney Syaranamual, Ashley Wallen, Nathan Wright, Susan Black, Nicole Brooks, Danielle Brown, Anastacia Flewin, Fiona Gage, Alex Harrington, Camilla Jakimowicz, Rochelle Jones, Caroline Kaspar, Mandy Liddell, Melanie Mackay, Elise Mann, Charmaine Martin, Michelle Wriggles, Michael Boyd, Lorry D'Ercole, Michael Edge, Glyn Gray, Craig Haines, Stephen Holford, Jamie Jewell, Jason King, Ryan Males, Harlin Martin, Andrew Micallef, Jonathan Schmölzer, Bradley Spargo, Joseph 'Pepe' Ashton, Jordan Ashton, Marcos Falagan, Mitchel Falagan, Chris Mayhew, Hamish McCann, Adrien Janssen, Shaun Holloway, Darren Dowlut, Dennis Dowlut, Pina Conti, Nandy McClean, Maya McClean, Patrick Harding-Irmer, Albin Pahernik, Aurel Verne, Kip Gamblin, Wilson Alcorn, Kerry Casey, Peter Collingwood, Cass Cumerford, Matthew Dale, Brenda De Lacy, Eliana Dona, Nash Edgerton, Coralie Eichholtz, Tim Elliott, Pat Evans, Nicole Fantl, Sandi Finlay, Waldo Garrido, Scott Gregory, Kahlia Greksa, Karinna Greksa, Trent Harlow, Troy Harrison, Geoffrey Kiem, Harold Kissin, Ian Lind, Tony Lynch, Angus Martin, Liliya May, Paul Maybury, Scott Peters, Chris Pickard, Greg Poppleton, Brett Praed, Thern Reynolds, Greg Robinson, David Scotchford, Neeraj Singh, Sotiri Sotiropoulos, David Whitford, Matt Wilson

Release: 2001-05-24

Runtime: 127

Plot: A celebration of love and creative inspiration takes place in the infamous, gaudy and glamorous Parisian nightclub, at the cusp of the 20th century. A young poet, who is plunged into the heady world of Moulin Rouge, begins a passionate affair with the club's most notorious and beautiful star.

I started thinking about this last night after the AFI awards. I don't think MR is an American film, given that it was written, directed, and produced by an Australian; shot in Australia; starring an Australian, an Englishman, and others from England and Australia; and filmed at a studio owned by an Australian (Fox is still owned by Rupert Murdoch, I believe). Wouldn't this make MR a foreign movie? Would it be eligible for a Best Foreign Film Oscar? Or because it's an english language movie, does it not qualify as a foreign film (it seems that you don't see British, Canadian, Australian or New Zealand films nominated for Best Foreign Film)? I am curious to find out what others think.

Aaron

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'd say that it's an American Film in that an American company paid for it. Lots of American movies are filmed entirely overseas.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Moulin Rouge is both an Australian and American film. Creatively, it is almost exclusively Australian; financially it is American. Of course, this is all irrelevant with respect to the Oscars: it is eligible for the same categories as all other English language films, and is not eligible for the foreign language film, in the same way British films aren't. The film was nominated for Australian Film Institute Awards as an Australian film, although the Australian tax department considers it an American film for finance reasons.

As for Lord of the Rings, I would also venture to say that is a US-NZ film, again for its almost exclusivey NZ creative team (writers, producer, director) but financed by New Line in the US).

At the end of the day: what does it matter? I think it's great that American studios aren't limiting themselves to Hollywood and are realising that artists often work better in their own environments.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I began to wonder if maybe the AFI didn't consider Moulin Rouge an American film when they read the nominees for Production Design and Catherine Martin wasn't included (what an oversight!).

Then right afterward, Jill Bilcock was named and won for Editing (well deserved!) and that cleared up that confusion.

Rob

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I just rented this tonight from Hollywood Video (the second disc was rattling around loose in the case, so all the content was pixelated to hell:angry:) The menus for the second disc were also atrocious... style over accessibility. That said, the transfer on the movie itself was gorgeous, and the movie was astounding. It's amazing that a movie that was shot like a music video, could grab me like this. Being a fan of neither musicals nor chick flicks, it's surprising that I liked this. That a movie about a prostitute and a playright could tell such an epic and fantastic story of love is amazing. And that the scope aspect ratio could be used to it's absolute limits like this is amazing. Having only seen Ewan in Episode I, I found the passion and power of his performance surprisingly great. The singing wasn't bad either;)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Hi Adam. I'm one of the staunchest supporters of Moulin Rouge that you could dig up here at the HTF.
I fully anticipate this fantastic movie earning a Best Picture nomination, and I am rooting for it to bring home the gold!
And you're right: the DVD (as a whole) is just glorious!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
That's funny Scott, I thought I was the biggest supporter of this wonderful film!;) I wanted to see this in the theater, but unfortunatly missed the chance, and when I read Ron's review, I was primed to love this film, and boy did all that waiting pay off!
My heart took flight with this film, and I was in a daze after watching it. I'm a hopeless romantic at heart, just like Ewan's charactor Christian in the film, I have no girlfriend at the moment, and I find myself sometimes longing for the kind of pure love that Christian finds in the film. Not realistic sure, but I can dream can't I?
'Moulin Rouge' is hands down the best film I saw last year, and I make this promise to all who reads this post, if it is not at least nominated for best picture, I will stop watching the Oscars as I will then know without the slightest twinge of doubt that they are full of complete shit, and only nominate the "safe" films, and ignor the risk takers.
As for the songs and singing in the film, what can I say? If Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman decided to persue a singing career, they would make millions! When they sing to each other during the 'Elephant Medly', they make pure magic together. I get chills everytime Ewan first breaks out with "My gift is my song! And this ones for you." at the start of 'Your song', and choke up a little during 'Come what may', their secret song. And the showstopping number 'Le Roxanne de Tango' is a scene of staggering emotion!
It's a breathtaking movie experience that I will always hold high as one of the best films i've seen in my short 29 years on this planet, and I truly mean that.
My man Dennis Miller even made a referrance to the film in the season premier of 'Dennis Miller Live' on HBO Friday night!

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
(Gently pushes John and Scott aside) Count me in! This film is magical, and each viewing adds to the experience. I love the fact that so many guys love this film too. My husband loves it as much as I do, and his ability to do so is one of the reasons I love him.

I have little doubt that it will be nominated for an Oscar, but I'm sure it won't win. I'm just shocked and pleased that it's even getting talked about in such a context, and that it's been nominated for all different kinds of awards. If it doesn't win Best Picture, I'll be rooting for my other favorite film from 2001, LOTR/FOTR. Which means, of course, neither will win, but what can you do.

I haven't said a whole lot about this film here, but I've been in some massive, bruising debates about the film elsewhere. I've gotten worn down, trying to debate the undebatable (that this movie is brilliant). I assume that sooner or later someone else will feel the need to pop into this thread to let the whole world know just how awful they thought it was, and the whole thing will start all over again. This is a film worth defending though. If not to change the mind of the person who doesn't like it (I think that's impossible) but to try and make sure that others are not swayed by a bad opinion, so they'll see and judge it for themselves.

John, what did Dennis Miller say?

Vickie

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Vickie, Dennis didn't really give an opinion on if he liked or disliked the film, his comment concerned those tapes that BinLaden keeps making, he said...
"Hey BinLaden, you wanna work on the quality of those tapes huh!? The resolution makes those Wet N Wild girls of collage videos, look like the dvd of Moulin Rouge!"
:laugh:

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I had to say I loved this film as well, and I don't normally like musicals.
The "roxanne" tango scene is a masterpiece of editing, cinematography, music, dance, acting, emotional resonance.....I could go on. I often just put this scene on when I am flicking through my DVDs (does anyone else do this ? flick through favourite scenes of your films for a bit ? :) )
It is just a shame the "come what may" song can't be nominated for an original song, because if it was, it would easily win.

I rented this movie expecting to hate it. When I think of "musical" I think of "The Sound of Music", which bored me to tears. I consider myself a manly man, and am always the first to pre-judge movies as "chick flicks". I'll watch a chick flick just to satisfy my wife. Sometimes I think they are "watchable" but that's about it...

This is an overview of my movie experience:

-I can't believe I'm renting this but I've seen about everything else I want to see, and it's free.

-Man, this movie is gonna suck so hard. At least I can go back to those people on the net and flame them for suggesting that it's a good movie.

-Oh my god! They are starting to sing stuff from "The Sound of Music" somebody kill me now!!! (But there is something about that camera work that I just can't take my eyes off the screen.)

-Hmm, that was a catchy little version of the "can can". /me looks around to make sure nobody sees that I'm enjoying myself and bumps up the DTS sound a few notches.

-Holy crap! ObiWan can sing! Was that a cold chill I just got? /me checks to make sure testies are still firmly attached. Yup, they are still there.

-From that point on I just give in and realize that this is an awesome movie and just enjoy it.

I thought maybe something strange had happened to me. After all some people have claimed that they just just woke up one day and decided that they were gay. Well, I watched "Full Metal Jacket" the next night just to see if I was still a manly man. Just to make sure that I still enjoyed the sound of gunfire and explosions. Yup, the nads were still there and I loved FMJ as much as I always have. (Although it did seem tame after watching Saving Private Ryan.)

I guess what I'm trying to say here is not to prejudge this (or any) movie to a point were you don't want to watch a movie because of the category it falls into. If you do, you severly limit yourself and will miss out on some really good entertainment. Try the spinach, who knows, you might actually like it.

That movie was more like an experience than a movie. Although I'd hate to think I watched it for the first time on a small TV without the DTS surround cranking and shaking the walls. There is simply no way it could have the same emotional impact.

And yes, I too have gone back and watched certain parts of the movie just for fun. I already know what the story is about so I don't have to see the plot development. Just bring on the singing man!

Although I will stop and watch certain parts with the Duke in them. He's such a bad guy one second and then making me laugh my ass off the next! "It's a little bit funny, this feeling insi-ii-o-ii-ide." Oh man, that's just too funny.

What a great movie experience.

-Craig

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
It's a little bit funny, this feeling insi-ii-o-ii-ide."
ROFL, Craig! That extra "o" in "inside" was perfect, you nailed that one just right! :D Oh yeah, and your other comments about checking your, um, manhood...ROFLMAO!
I avoided this movie for one reason only: Nicole Kidman. I can't stand the woman whatsoever. After buying the DVD because of recommendations of the forum for its A/V quality, and because I had seen the Tango de Roxanne scene uncut at Fox Studios back in September and *really* liked that one scene (though it never occurred to me that such an anachronistic song was the *norm* for the movie)...well, after buying the DVD I let it sit for probably a week or so without touching it. Then one night I said, "Aww, what the hell, I might as well see what everybody's clamoring about."
I had no idea what kind of treat I was in for.
When the crew was bandying about ideas for one song for their "Spectacular Spectacular" play, and trying to come up with the right phrase to complete, "The hills are..." I was immediately completing in my mind, "...alive with the sound of music." It was with great shock that I watched McGregor burst into song with, "The HILLS...are ALIVE...with the SOUND OF MUUUUUSIC!" I was as floored as those in the room with him! :)
From that point on I sat back and enjoyed every minute of it. Another moment of shocked hilarity came when Zigler exclaimed, "She's confessing her sins!", and then proceeds, first in prose then in song, "She's...like...a virgin...*touched*...for the very first time." It took probably three or four lines into the song before I realized what he was singing, but on realization of that I couldn't control a fit of laughter.
The whole movie is wonderful, all the way through to the very last second of the end credits. In fact, I *rarely* enjoy sitting through end credits (mainly those that have outtakes or continue with the movie's story while the credits roll), but Craig Armstrong's closing credits song really captured my attention and I fell so in love with it that, after finding it was not on the soundtrack (and nowhere on the 'net to snag) I ripped it off the DVD and downconverted it to WAV format to burn on a CD; I'm listening to it right now as I type, I love that song so much! I also ripped the Spectacular! Spectacular! song, where that line of the Duke's you quoted was sung.
All in all, a fantastic film -- it made my top 10 of the year at #5.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just saw this at RonP's local HTF meet (thanks for everything Ron!).

Have to say, this movie had several things going against it before I even watched it:

1. Don't like musicals.

2. Heard so much "great movie" hype that I thought I wouldn't like it.

3. Not a big Nicole Kidman fan.

4. Several of the nine people there did not like it at all and actually a couple walked out 1/3 of the way into it.

So I watched it anyway because it was the movie chosen for the evening screening.

I loved it. Loved it.

Yes I was a little disconcerted at first with the whole modern songs put into a musical montage sort of thing, but after I got over the initial shock and realized what they were doing, I was hooked.

The actors were great, the singing was good-to-great (depending on who was singing). The acting was first rate. The DP ought to win an award for this thing, there isn't a square inch of the frame wasted. The idea and execution were unique, even if the storyline was not.

I can see where others would not like this film. But for me, I quickly rank it up there with my favorite movies. I now have no problem with Ron making this the DVD of the Year!

I think the people at the meet put it best: give this movie a try, rent it if you don't buy it. You'll know within the first 15 minutes if you're going to love it or not.

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
Well - just to show you can't please everybody - my wife and I watched 1/2 the movie and turned it off. We're Nicole Kidman(sp?) fans and she was great. The staging was beautiful but the movie just sucked big time.

VERY predictable.

We love musicals but this was over the top, more like a nightmare actually.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Well, that's Moulin Rouge! It certainly polarizes most opinions. Count me in as completely loving it! As seen in our Top Ten of 2001 thread, this was my #2 film of the year (in what was, for me, a very strong year with a really awful summer). I saw this wonder opening weekend with my fiancee, who's a very mainstream girl. We both completely loved it. It was basically an oasis during the horrid summer we faced. Great movie, great DVD, and a great big thanks to Fox for supporting this film. As for the songs, as reported in Music, a second CD will be in stores in 3 short weeks. It does have "Spectacular, Spectacular" and the end credits by Craig. I cannot wait. This is one I'll treasure for many years to come!
Take care,
Chuck
P.S. I never once felt that I had to check my stones. Except when I was feeling very attracted to Christian:D That Ewan is a handsome man!

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Dana on the closing credits music. People who don't stay for the closing credits are those most loudly complaining about Craig Armstrong being singled out for his score. By the time the red curtain closes I'm once again grinning and happy, and in awe at what I've just seen.
I love hearing others reactions to this film! I love the excitement and exhilaration and laughs and grins and guffaws that the film brings forth. I love the sniffles and tears and pure emotion it draws. I LOVE watching it with the man I love, knowing that he's feeling the exact same way. I love the fact that we watch it holding hands, all the best parts causing us to squeeze hands a little bit harder. I love that he's crying at Satine's death just as I am. Sure it's a "beautiful" death, all the great opera diva deaths are. It's Christian's reaction that has us both reaching for the Kleenex. It's a roller-coaster ride of a film, but Ewan McGregor is the one who keeps it steady and the emotions real.
But of course...
Well - just to show you can't please everybody - my wife and I watched 1/2 the movie and turned it off. We're Nicole Kidman(sp?) fans and she was great. The staging was beautiful but the movie just sucked big time.
VERY predictable.
We love musicals but this was over the top, more like a nightmare actually.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention in my earlier post that there would be the inevitable "didn't even watch the whole thing, but feel the need to tell you that you're all wrong and this movie sucked big time" posts.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks