What's new

Moulin Rouge DVD Re-release in Jan 03? (1 Viewer)

Gary Tjia

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

Does anyone know what is the difference between the current version and the upcoming Moulin Rouge DVD to be released on Jan 14, 2003? Best Buy is listing it for $14.99, cheaper than the current version.

Gary

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
It's a single disk version for $14.99. I just hope the 2-disk set is not going OOP, otherwise I'll need to pick up a second copy.
Peace Out~:D

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
It could be a price drop or...

It could be the single disc re-issue similar to Big Trouble In Little China.

I.E., 16:9 widecreen & 4:3 pan & scan versions on the same disc with just Dolby Digital 5.1 & 2.0 Surround soundtracks and the commentary track.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
It is a single-disc reissue. They are dropping the second disc like in other releases (Fight Club, BTinLC, Cast Away) and lowering the MSRP. Pick it up now if you already haven't.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I suppose the 2 disc version will still be available in the Baz Lurhman boxed set. I haven't heard anything to the contrary.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Michael Martin
Why would you need a second copy?
Just in case his copy goes bad from being played so much. I.E. too many fingerprints/scratches....or even DVD-Rot!
I remember Ron-P said that he had watched Moulin Rouge a ton of times....Somewhere in the range of 30+ times. I have been trying to catch up to his number ever since he mentioned it. Right now, I have seen it 17 times. I hope to have seen it at least 40 times by the end of 2003. :) This is the greatest masterpiece of all time!
P.S. On a very sad note, the second disc, fell out of the DVD case, and I caught it just before it hit the floor. But, I left all my greasy finger-prints all over the DVD-playing surface :angry:
I don't want to clean the finger-prints off, because then there will be scratches...Even very light scratches, but scratches none-the-less! :angry:

Gary Tjia

Stunt Coordinator
I read somewhere that the first release Moulin Rouge DVD has lip sync problems. Have you seen that happening to yours?

Also, DVDSoon (Canadian) online retailer is selling the first release Moulin Rouge DVD for less than $12. It is a Region 1 version. Is there any difference with Canadian and US versions?

Gary

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Gary Tjia
I read somewhere that the first release Moulin Rouge DVD has lip sync problems. Have you seen that happening to yours?
That was a player-specific problem. Many people have players that have that problem, and just as many people, have players that don't have that problem at all. It just all depends on which DVD player you have. I am lucky to have a Sony NS-700 which does not have that problem with the disk. Therefore, I am able to experience it in DTS, without being annoyed that their lips are not moving correctly to the words that are being said. :D
And for the record, even if I did have the lip-sync issue, I would still rather hear the audio in DTS, for it is far superior to the Dolby Digital track (to my ears).

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
if it were to suffer this DVD-Rot you speak of both would deteriate anyway so what would it matter. I personally don't think there is such a thing. But some people do like to have a back up copy of a OOP disc as a just in case thing.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
That was a player-specific problem.
Wow! Then it must be player-specific to the five machines I've tried it on: a Sony standalone deck, a PS2, a DVD-Rom, an LG and a Toshiba. It might be quicker to list the players it does play properly on...

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator
I read somewhere that the first release Moulin Rouge DVD has lip sync problems.
That is why I have yet to even see the movie. I'm not that hardcore for DTS but I have read that it is much better for this movie. I have almost bought it anyway 100's of times but kept thinking that they would correct the problem. I guess if they are coming out with a single disc version then they probably are not going to fix the original.:thumbsdown:

JulianK

Supporting Actor
I guess if they are coming out with a single disc version then they probably are not going to fix the original.
They've already had an ideal opportunity to fix the problem: when they re-released the disc as part of the Red Curtain Trilogy box set.
The fault is no more than slightly irritating, but it's still something that they should have fixed.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Just in case his copy goes bad from being played so much. I.E. too many fingerprints/scratches....or even DVD-Rot!
I remember Ron-P said that he had watched Moulin Rouge a ton of times....Somewhere in the range of 30+ times. I have been trying to catch up to his number ever since he mentioned it. Right now, I have seen it 17 times. I hope to have seen it at least 40 times by the end of 2003. This is the greatest masterpiece of all time!
Heck, 30+ times was within the first few months of it's release. You'll never catch me :laugh:
Now, it's off to Best Buy for copy #2. One can never get enough Moulin Rouge.
Peace Out~:D

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
I don't want to clean the finger-prints off, because then there will be scratches...Even very light scratches, but scratches none-the-less!
Mitch, don't you think you might be a little too worried here? Gently cleaning fingerprints off of CD's or DVD's won't hurt them. Just don't use Ajax! :)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
You guys have seen Moulin Rouge! over 15, 30 and 40 times respectively?! Great mother of pearl! :D
It's a jolly good movie, but I twice is enough for me at present.
[Walks off muttering]
Thirty times... thirty times... ;)
Gordy

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator
Also, DVDSoon (Canadian) online retailer is selling the first release Moulin Rouge DVD for less than $12. It is a Region 1 version. Is there any difference with Canadian and US versions?
Many of the DVD titles that I have purchased from DVDSoon have bilingual covers. So, does the Canadian version say "Red Windmill" on the spine?!? :)

Gary Tjia

Stunt Coordinator
Bob Maged,

I can't tell from DVDSoon website if it say "Red Windmill" on the spine. Has anyone bought this DVD from Canada?

Gary

Margo

Agent
I don't want to clean the finger-prints off, because then there will be scratches...Even very light scratches, but scratches none-the-less!
I have found that if you gently rub the DVD with velvet it will remove the fingerprints and not scratch the DVD very much, if at all. :D
I, too, have a back-up copy of Moulin Rouge... only have done that for about 20 movies...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks