What's new

Motorhead, Sex Pistols, and Stray Cats DVD-Audio discs out (Silverline Records). (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I don't think this is old news, but I saw the Motorhead, Sex Pistols, and Stray Cats DVD-Audio discs in a store today for $24.99 each. These are new releases from Silverline Records.
I almost bought the Stray Cats disc, but it is a live album and it has no dedicated stereo DVD-Audio track. I would rather see a Stray Cats disc consisting of studio material, and I have a hard time supporting Silverline Records since they alienate those of us who prefer stereo. I'd hate to spend $24.99 and find that I am stuck with a gimmicky surround-sound mix, which is what I would expect to get. I'd like to have the option of a quality stereo track. If Warner and other labels can do it, why can't Silverline? O.K., off the soapbox. *makes safe landing on the floor*
Anyway, I mention these releases for those who aren't curmudgeons when it comes to their music, like me. :)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Thanks for the info Keith. i saw them as well, when i went to pick up my Peter Gabriel remasters. Just a mere month ago, i would've thought you were making a big deal out of nothing for the lack of a MLP stereo track, but two-weeks ago I purchased a live Olivia Newton-John disc from DTS entertainment which didn't include a dedicated stereo track. I then decided to listen to the 5.1 MLP track with my headphones and it literally sounded as if half the instruments from the songs were missing!!!! terrible!!!! later in the week I picked up Hotel California and Rumours which had dedicated MLP stereo tracks, and man, I was in high heaven. So I will go on record as saying; IT IS ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL THAT MANUFACTURER'S INCLUDE A DEDICATED STEREO MIX FOR PEOPLE WHO PREFER IT TO MULTI-CHANNEL, AND ESPECIALLY SINCE IT IS ESSENTIAL WHEN LISTENING WITH HEADPHONES. Now I've got this off my chest.

Reggie

P.S. - The stereo track on "A Night at the Opera" was 24/96 PCM stereo, NOT MLP, so I found it kind of dull. This is my only gripe with this otherwise outstanding disc.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Reggie,

The stereo soundtrack would be the same, whether it's encoded with MLP or straight PCM.

MLP is a lossless compression algorithm (Like PKZip for Windows).

DTS provided the stereo track in linear PCM so that any DVD player can access that stereo track, not just DVD-Audio players.

Regards,

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie, I wanted to pick up the Olivia Newton-John DVD-Audio disc, but because it has no stereo track, I passed. The lack of discrete stereo tracks on some DVD-Audio discs is B.S. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Thanks John.

Then perhaps there were some errors made in remastering the 24/96 PCM stereo track on Night at the Opera, because it certainly sounded lackluster when compared to Hotel California and Rumours, though I know source material probably was also a factor.

Thanks

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie, I received my copy of the Queen DVD-Audio disc from Digital Eyes last week and was not overly impressed with the stereo track either. However, I attribute that to the relatively poor quality of the original recording. One thing that comes with high resolution is that you hear more of the bad, not just the good. I've noticed bits of static throughout "Bohemian Rhapsody" on various CDs I have, but the static is very obvious on the DVD-Audio disc. The recording sucks.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Has anybody actually heard any of these discs? Are they in REAL surround, or just bogus re-purposed ambiance from 2 track album masters. I cannot believe that anybody has multi-tracks for Sex Pistol demos & outtakes, which is what the disc consists of. I am HIGHLY suspicious of this company's output (I called them up at both the East & West coast offices & could get NO info out of them). Please, somebody review these discs before I get sucked into buying them!

Jesper Nielsen

Auditioning
Larry,

I just got Motörhead and I like - my only problem I also got The Band : The Last Waltz.. Do NOT compare sound qulity between those 2...

I like the Motörhead dvd audio and sound great, weather its a real 5.1 I can't tell (all I can say it's not the best DVD A I got) but it's a great album and sounds good

Jesper

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks