What's new

Motherboard Swap?!? (1 Viewer)

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Hi Chris.
Well, lets see if I can help out a bit. You've got quite a few choices available to you, depening what you want to change in your current system. I'll try to cover a few options.
If you want to keep you CPU and change only the motherboard, then you're really going to be looking at another slot 1 mobo (assuming your CPU is a slot1 - which I think it is).
To find a slot1 mobo you'll be looking at the second user market, or perhaps a shop with one lying around. Your CPU will probably run at 100MHz clock speed, so you'll be looking for one that can handle this. Look for one that has an Intel BX chipset on it (I think some of the non-intel chipsets such as the ones by VIA will do but I'm not familiar with these) Do NOT go for anything that mentions the Intel 440LX chipset as these cannot support the Pentium 3. Once you've got your new(ish) board you can move all the components over and plug in some more RAM (The BX chipset can take up to 1GB if the board has 4 DIMM slots, or 768Mb if the board has 3). These older boards though will not be able to support CPUs much beyond about 600-800MHz if you want to change the CPU on the future.
If you want to change the CPU as well, then you've opened up some more doors. The choice you'll have to make is between Intel and AMD. I've always used Intel, mainly because I was led to believe that Intel were better at handling complex calculations, such as in CAD etc. I'm probably wrong on this point. Looking at one of the PC mags the other day, they were reviewing new systems, and were raving about the AMD Athlon CPUs, especially those that use DDR memory.
Intel's new baby is the Pentium 4, but this hasn't been so popular. The first P4s had to use special RAM, called RAMBUS (or RIMM), and this was expensive. It's got a bit cheaper, but is still more expensive than your standard sticks. Intel have released another version of the P4, which does not need RAMBUS, but I don't know much about it.
Intel still make P3 CPUs, but only in the Socket370 (aka FC-PGA) variety. There is a new breed of P3s on the market which run faster than 1GHz. They are code-named "Tualatin" - don't knwo who invents these names! The motherboard must be able to support these types of P3.
The new motherboard for the CPU will depend on which CPU type you go for. I'd recommend ASUS boards. The boards have different chipsets made by Intel/VIA etc. Intel has the 815 series chipsets to support the newer P3s. Interestingly they can only support upto 512Mb RAM, which seems a bit of a backward step to me. The chipsets by VIA can (I think) support more RAM.
If you do change the CPU, then your old 128Mb RAM may not be able to be used - it's probably 100MHz RAM annd unless you get a 100MHz-type CPU you won't be able to use it (most of the newer Intel CPUs, and I thinnk the non-DDR Athlons, run at 133MHz). This isn't such a big deal as RAM is pretty cheap at the moment (prices of RAM are VERY volatile). Remember you can run 133MHz RAM at 100Mhz, but not the other way.
As regards the rest of your kit, you can use it in pretty much any machine. Hard Drives have gotten bigger and faster. The latest interface (not including SCSI - good performance but EXPENSIVE) is UDMA100, so look out for this on the motherboard if you want to run a UDMA100 drive.
Promise make an IDE RAID card, which allows you to plug in, say two 20Gb Drives and do some clever things to either boost their performance, or to use one drive as a backup of the other one instantaneously.
I think that'll do for now :)
------------------
My HT My DVD Collection

Ron_S

Grip
Hi Chris,
Wow! You really are jumping into the deep end with this project. Your options are almost endless in choosing between processors, motherboards, video cards, CD/DVD drives, ...
I have had my best luck with Intel processors. They are generally more well behaved across the multitude of software applications available. However, they are more expensive and not as powerful for general business applications than AMD Athalon processors.
Either way you go you are in for quite an experience integrating the parts. I suggest that you keep it as simple as possible, at least to begin with.
Buy a motherboard from a well respected source, such as ABIT or ASUS. These will cost 10% to 20% more than their low-end counterparts, but the PC you end up with will be more stable.
For Intel (p-III or p-IV) preocessors the ASUS TUSL2-C or ABIT ST6R use the latest p-III processors (cost ~ $120 - $135). For pIV processors, the ABIT BL7 (for 478 pin processors) or BW7 (for 423 pin processors)...the newer processors are 478 pin and are slightly more expensive. Cost ~ $139 to $145.
ASUS has an excellent motherboard for Athalon processors, the A7M266 which uses DDR memory and ahs performance rivaling the fastest P-IV processors at about 3/4 the cost. The motherboard is more expensive (~$160-$170), but the processor is only 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of a similarly performing P-IV.
No matter which you choose, buy a boxed processor. They come with an appropriate CPU cooling fan and a three year warranty (which may be important since this is your first try at this).
If you choose the AMD solution, make certain that the case/power supply are AMD approved.
A 40 GB or larger IDE hard drive is an excellent choice these days. The cost is low and the performance is excellent. 7200 RPM drives make for machines which boot more quickly, but they run a little bit hotter so do not install them in the case too close to other devices (within 1") unless you have extra cooling fans in the case to get rid of excess heat faster.
Good Luck.

Chris J R

Grip
Well guys, this is what I have so far. Let me know what you think. I am going for a good all around system that can be upgraded in the future.
AMD Athlon 1.4 266 FSB
ThermoEngine Heatsink with Delta Black Label Fan
Abit KG7 RAID
SB Audigy MP3+
ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 32mb
Antec SX1030B
2 256MB DDR PC2100 DIMMS
Lite-On16x DVD
Lite-OnLTR12101B CD/RW
Western Digital 60gb
3com etherlink 10/100 3CR990-TX-97
Floppy
Any opinions are more than welcome :)
------------------
Laters!!
Rollo
[Edited last by Chris J R on September 19, 2001 at 12:42 AM]

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Looks like a great system!
I would recommend you either order the Antec case with as many additional fans as you can get, or install them yourself right afterwards. You will probably have a pretty substantial heat load!
Also, look at adding another HD - a second 60GB would do nicely
biggrin.gif
! - to use the RAID capacity of the mobo. Or go to 2 30s or 2 something-or-others! I would love to have RAID capability on my machine...
Regards,
Mike

Chris J R

Grip
What are the benefits of RAID? Could someone explain the technology to me? ALso, should I use a 300 or 400w power supply with this? It has 2 fans built in but can accomodate 4. Should I go for 4? I think they are 80mm. Thanks for the help!
------------------
Laters!!
Rollo

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
Well the advantage of RAID 0 is speed and speed alone. My brothers system has 2 45 gig drives in RAID 0 and he gets around 40megs/sec transfer rates. Speeds such as this make video editing on RAID powerhouses much more pleasant. I think it may also possibly garner an increase in video render times, but that may be more cpu dependant.
Aaron
edit: RAID 0 also gives you a larger logical harddrive, ie those 2 45 gig drives now appear as 1 90 gig drive.
[Edited last by AaronNWilson on September 20, 2001 at 02:34 AM]

Roy C.

Second Unit
Aaron,
your suggestions are correct assuming Chris is installing an OS that can work with that. I would recommend using RAID 0 for speed rather than space, if he can afford it. That at the same time can provide some redundancy should one of the drives fail. I'm not familiar with the integrated (on-board)RAID controllers (I've always used external) but you might also look at issues with "hardware" and "software" RAID configurations. Some vendors frown upon users putting NT/2000 mirrors ("software") on top of an on-board RAID 0 ("hardware") configuration.
Just some thoughts,
Roy C.
------------------

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Chris,
RAID is already discussed, so regarding the power supply and fans:
should I use a 300 or 400w power supply with this? It has 2 fans built in but can accomodate 4. Should I go for 4? I think they are 80mm.
I am a big believer in big power supplies. Go for the 400. That way, even if you soup up the machine to the utmost, you should have power...
As for fans, I'd go ahead and install them. Fans are cheap (10 bucks or less) and will help extract hot air. If you want to do yourself a favor, get some light filter material (the really porous plastic stuff) and install it in front of the fan that blows air into the computer. You won't believe how much dust this stuff gathers...
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks