Moster Power Center

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by marty4089, Jun 23, 2009.

1. marty4089

marty4089 Auditioning

2. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    The answer to the question "Is the Monster ___________ worth the price?" is almost always a resounding "No" regardless of what the particular item is. Monster is a triumph of marketing and hype over engineering and reality.

And the answer to the question, "Should I listen to anything the Bue Shirt at Best Buy says?" is always, "Listen carefully, then do the opposite." [​IMG] Trust me on that one.

You can get a better surge protector with an identical protected equipment warrantly for 30% to 50% of the price, or a nice uninterruptable power supply with a battery that will keep your equipment from losing its settings during brief power dips and offer better protection over all for the same price.

Regards,

Joe

3. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    While I certainly agree that Monster products are over priced at msrp, if you shop around you can get their stuff at a more reasonable price on-line. Many members still won't buy their products based on principle and that's fine. But if you really want one Newegg.com has it for $99 shipped. I bought an HTS 1000 MrkII ($199) from Amazon with a gift card 2 years ago for $79. Pretty much any name brand surge protector for around $20-50 will work. Things like this are big profit makers for stores.

4. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Did Monster, and would never go back. Ps Audio is my choice for protection and regulation. Either the Duet or Quintet
    [​IMG]

5. sestamuch

sestamuch Stunt Coordinator

Doesn't make sense not buying stuff you need out of principle. Unless that principle means a ripoff product or a ripoff company or something like that, but I agree with what is being said.

6. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint

Jonas - I believe what Gene is saying is there are other, better and cheaper products out there. Some would buy an Acoustics Research power center before they would a Monster power center simply because Monster is way overpriced for what they sell. Think of them as the BOSE of interconnects.

After that being said, I have a Monster HTS 1600 power center in my HT. The first reason I got it was I needed a tidy way to connect all my equipment to a wall outlet plus I needed good surge protection (note - NOT lightning since not much protects against that) and the second reason is because I got it on sale with a Christmas giftcard and only ended up paying about one third of retail (roughly $100). It's done me good for the past couple of years.

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    And fortunately MusicDirect has them on sale now. I have used the Duet before and it works very well. I also have the HTS 5000 from monster in my system and it is decent but not as good.