What's new

Most of my WB 2006/2008 DVDs have gone bad (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Do your discs play in your computer? Or another player? I have had players that quite suddenly become fickle, not playing (even reading) some discs. Cleaning the lens often helps. Also, some studios use different means of authoring (a lot of Java, etc.) than others, and I have also had players that begin having issues, therefore, with the discs of some studios (Fox, when it came to Blu-rays, for instance) until I did firmware upgrades.
I would hate to think you were unfortunate enough to be saddled with hundreds of dollars worth of classics that have gone bad. Keep us updated.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I have had problems with The Warner DVD Murder My Sweet from the first Warner Film Noir Collection. I need to check these others, but I will say several of my Fox Film Noir DVDs as well as TV DVDs of I dream of Jeannie and Bewitched have similar issues that are not shared by DVDs stored right next to them. I am starting to regret my collection habits now though I have and still continue to enjoy my DVDs. I heard someone saying something about backing up to iso files,I have no idea what to do that with and how much data is needed, I have about 1800 purchases which adds up to about 5000 discs (lots of boxsets, not to mention double sides). I may have to consider this method to at least with my most prized posessions.

KathyBeck

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with Tory. I would love to be able to back up my files, but am a bit of a novice with things of this nature. Is there a way to get a detailed tutorial of how to back up files? I have a Mac. I hope this question isn't breaking any forum rules and I apologize if it does, but I'm frustrated with my lack of knowledge about how to do this. Any time I research backing up files the terminology is over my head.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
You should be aware that 'backing up' the DVD's is illegal, as it breaks copyright law. In the USA you are allowed to make backup copies but only if this does not involve circumventing a copy protection/encryption system in order to do so. DVDs are clearly copy protected so making backups of them is breaking the law.
In most European countries, such as here in the UK, copyright is even stricter and does not allow for making backup copies. Period. For example, if your software distribution CD goes bad for some reason, you're supposed to write to the supplier with proof of purchase and obtain a new CD using the right of free replacements for defective goods. You are naturally allowed ot make backup copies of, say, your system hard drive or your own content.
DVD's are pretty easy to copy, but I would think that any public forum that permitted open discussion of doing so would be on shaky ground.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Nebiroth said:
You should be aware that 'backing up' the DVD's is illegal, as it breaks copyright law. In the USA you are allowed to make backup copies but only if this does not involve circumventing a copy protection/encryption system in order to do so. DVDs are clearly copy protected so making backups of them is breaking the law..
No offense intended but why do I suspect that many of the most fervent anti-MOD crowd have no qualms about making their own MO .... er, back ups? I mean pressed discs are supposed to be forever while MODs go kaput in a couple of years, right?:D

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Thomas T said:
No offense intended but why do I suspect that many of the most fervent anti-MOD crowd have no qualms about making their own MO .... er, back ups? I mean pressed discs are supposed to be forever while MODs go kaput in a couple of years, right?:D
I can't speak for anybody else, but I'm personally not a big MOD fan. Not the format so much as I believe the media is sub-standard. I'm also a big fan of personal backups. However, backing up to a format that I believe to be sub-standard to the original is somewhat self-defeating, don't you think? As a result, my preferred method of backup is ripping the disc to a full iso file and then storing that data on a NAS. Nothing is perfect of course, but the NAS is in a RAID-like configuration which affords me the opportunity to replace failing hard drives as they occur without data loss. Obviously, if I lose an optical disc I have the ability to create a new one from the iso, but the master is now the file on the hard disk, not the optical. So, while I certainly can appreciate the snarkiness of your comment being a fan of dry humor , I just wanted to let you know that at least one of us puts his money where his mouth is, so to speak.
My only concern at this point is how quickly to step up my program. Any MOD I've purchased has already been backed up as well as any of those Universal DV-18s that seem to go bad on people so often. I've been taking a somewhat leisurely approach to the rest figuring they were in good shape but now I'm wondering if a more aggressive approach will be required. Like most here, I have thouands of discs so the required dataspace to accomplish this task is not a trivial matter. This thread is making me rethink my backup priorities.
I'm also aware that these types of conversations tend to drift close to the forum rules regarding piracy so I'll gladly suspend any further discussion on the subject if the mods require it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by mdnitoil /t/324675/most-of-my-wb-2006-2008-dvds-have-gone-bad#post_3995903
I can't speak for anybody else, but I'm personally not a big MOD fan. Not the format so much as I believe the media is sub-standard. I'm also a big fan of personal backups. However, backing up to a format that I believe to be sub-standard to the original is somewhat self-defeating, don't you think? As a result, my preferred method of backup is ripping the disc to a full iso file and then storing that data on a NAS. Nothing is perfect of course, but the NAS is in a RAID-like configuration which affords me the opportunity to replace failing hard drives as they occur without data loss. Obviously, if I lose an optical disc I have the ability to create a new one from the iso, but the master is now the file on the hard disk, not the optical. So, while I certainly can appreciate the snarkiness of your comment being a fan of dry humor , I just wanted to let you know that at least one of us puts his money where his mouth is, so to speak.
My only concern at this point is how quickly to step up my program. Any MOD I've purchased has already been backed up as well as any of those Universal DV-18s that seem to go bad on people so often. I've been taking a somewhat leisurely approach to the rest figuring they were in good shape but now I'm wondering if a more aggressive approach will be required. Like most here, I have thouands of discs so the required dataspace to accomplish this task is not a trivial matter. This thread is making me rethink my backup priorities.
I'm also aware that these types of conversations tend to drift close to the forum rules regarding piracy so I'll gladly suspend any further discussion on the subject if the mods require it.
That would be a good idea!

Crawdaddy

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Thomas T said:
By "DVD" I meant any DVD - including MOD DVD's.
The MOD's are DVD too, you know - it;s only their physical construction and production thatis different.
The topic at hand was a bunch of MOD's that had gone bad and someone was aksing about how to make backups of their because of this.
And I don;t think my post could be interpretated as advocating the copying of ANY sort of DVD, pressed or otherwise. It;s illegal.
Nice try, but I'm afraid you missed the target here.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Thomas T said:
I mean pressed discs are supposed to be forever while MODs go kaput in a couple of years, right?:D
I know you're kidding, but...
DVD-R can go "kaput," just like pressed discs, if they're not manufactured properly. That's both the pre-burn as well as the burn for DVD-R. Due to their differing natures and production methods, DVD-R has a higher risk of error than pressed (enough to be considered a different, and less reliable, technology altogether).
It sounds very strange that so much of the OP's collection is now unreadable.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Nebiroth said:
The topic at hand was a bunch of MOD's that had gone bad and someone was aksing about how to make backups of their because of this. And I don;t think my post could be interpretated as advocating the copying of ANY sort of DVD, pressed or otherwise. It;s illegal. Nice try, but I'm afraid you missed the target here.
The topic at hand was actually a bunch of pressed discs that had gone bad, not MOD but my post didn't infer that you were advocating anything illegal, quite the opposite. I think I did get my intended target but my arrows were not aimed at you. I'm sorry if you thought they were.:)

sitman

Grip
Real Name
Bill Shepard
I found your old post via a Google search for WB defective DVDs, but wish I'd seen it sooner. I've been going through the titles you listed and found several that won't load at all. I'm wondering, did you ever get any kind of help from WB, replacement or refunds? Thanks.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I found your old post via a Google search for WB defective DVDs, but wish I'd seen it sooner. I've been going through the titles you listed and found several that won't load at all. I'm wondering, did you ever get any kind of help from WB, replacement or refunds? Thanks.
There's a more current thread on a similar subject here: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...ad-watch-to-make-sure-they-still-play.351260/

I'm pretty sure that most of your questions are answered in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks