What's new

Most memorable experience in a movie theater (1 Viewer)

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
What is something that you can never forget that happened to you or someone else in a movie theater. It can be embarassing (I was reading a story in another forum about this guy who wet himself at Lord of the Rings: FOTR when Galadriel poured water into the mirror) or sad or funny. Whatever.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I remember going to Star Wars:SE, it was the first time I had the chance to see it on the bog screen. I loved it!
Also when seeing Jay and Silent Bob at a sneak preview, it was sold out and it was full of KSmith fans, that was a blast as well.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
walking out of the small theater in falmouth after watching bowling for columbine, looking at a few grown men with tears in their eyes. pretty memorable. also i was watching independence day on the day of its release, and afterwards, everyone in the theater stood up and applauded. it was a cool action flick, not sure about being applause worthy. but it was also cool to see a whole theater get together on something...

CJ

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Watching SW: Attack of the Clones on opening night at the Ziegfeld in New York was an incredible experience. When Yoda finally pulls out his lightsaber, the crowd went absolutely crazy.

walking out of the small theater in falmouth after watching bowling for columbine, looking at a few grown men with tears in their eyes.

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
Um my most memorable experience in a movie theater would be for an R rated topic. :)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Watching the Star Wars trilogy (sadly, the Special Editions) in a single sitting, front row centre (best seats in the house) at the Embassy Cinema - soon to be host to the world premiere of LOTR.

Speaking of LOTR - midnight screenings of FOTR and TTT. And soon, the Trilogy screening.

Greg_L_C

Stunt Coordinator
I Talked my dad, who hardly every went to the movies, into going to see Backdraft. My dad was a big city fireman for over 30+ years and I had just started my career with the Fire Department. I thought it would be fun to see the movie together. I was really touched during the last scene of the movie to look over and see tears in my dads eyes. It was the first and last time I ever saw him even come close to crying.

Greg

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Seeing "This Is Cinerama" a week after it opened in NYC in 1952. Moviegoers had never previously experienced an ultra wide screen color movie on a deeply curved screen with 7 channel surround sound before this film came out. It forever changed the way movies are seen and heard in theatres.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
During FINDING NEMO, a woman two seats over from me whipped out her right breast. I was thinking "Uhm... what in the hell?" And then, her husband handed her the baby that I hadn't noticed and she proceeded to breast feed it. Still... a theater full of children seemed like kind of an inappropriate place for that.

During X-Men 2, this kid with a laser pointer kept shining it on the screen. After the movie, I was pissed off so I snatched it out of his hand and threw it in the garbage. Unbeknownst to me, his mother was standing behind me at the time and started screaming for security. The guy who was coming to clean the theater came along and she told him she wanted him to dig the laser pointer out of the garbage, to which he laughed and said "Lady, I'm not digging in the garbage. Maybe your kid shouldn't have been shining a laser pointer at the screen, because other people paid to see the movie too." I started to walk away and the mother screamed out (in front of her kid) "Get back here, you f*%@ing c#$%sucker!" I don't remember exactly what I said back, but it was something about hoping her kid got taken away by child services.

And THAT's why I have a home theater, folks! Because I HATE PEOPLE! :D

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
If I remember anything about a movie theater experience besides the movie itself, it's usually because something bad happened.

The most recent example was the horrific experience I had watching Two Towers for the first time. The audience was downright insane. They were yelling at each other, screaming out spoilers and even throwing shoes. After an hour of horror, the movie finally started. Unfortunately, the house lights remained on until the first appearance of Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas, which led to a lot of angry screaming. But not even the darkening of the theater shut these people up. They kept talking throughout the movie and laughing loudly at everything Gollum did, even when it was not intended to be funny. I don't mind an enthusiastic audience (aside from some lewd comments about lightsabers, my midnight showing of Attack of the Clones was fun), but these people were just plain rude. :angry:

I can only hope that I don't have a similar experience on December 17.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I brought my wife to see THE GROOVE TUBE in 1974, knowing nothing about it at all. We laughed a lot at most of it and were bored by the dragged-out Cheech and Chung rip-off sequence involving drugs. Then came the Public Service annoucement, starring what at first appeared to be a weird hand puppet. Only gradually, as the camera drew nearer, did we realize what we were looking at, and I literally fell out of my seat and, lying on my back on the floor, laughed so hysterically I could hardly breathe, and this set my wife to laughing hysterically, and meanwhile an entire box full of malted milk balls rolled out of my box and all the way to the front of the theater. I wish I could laugh like that more often!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Well, I worked at a few theatres for 10 years- my most memorable experience was learning how to run the projectors. I still remember all the movies that were playing. During the whole time I had free access to the movies, I never missed a single film that was shown (I saw everything at least once), with the exception of the last month of my last theatre job when company politics forced me not to care anymore :frowning:

CraigK

Stunt Coordinator
Waaaaaaaaaaay back in 1983 when I got special advance tickets to see a screening of RETURN OF THE JEDI...no other possible experience matched that for anticipation or excitment....at least in my 8 year old eyes! I mean...geez...I just plain FRICKIN' NEEDED to know if Vader was Luke's father...3 years was a long time.

The 1989 premiere of BATMAN was also huge. Probably the biggets hype for a film of that decade...and not to mention the fact of the controversy of the Keaton casting...I can still remember people in line saying "...he better be good."

Rounding third would easily have to be the premiere of PHANTOM MENACE. Like it or hate it, the film was the most anticiapted in the history of film...and the 9 hour line I was in for tickets is a testiment to that...

BrianMagog

Stunt Coordinator
No question about it, my older brother taking me to see Star Wars when I was 8, the opening scene where the giant star destroyer stretching all over the screen was a moment I'll never forget.

Matt_P

Second Unit
I've had a lot of great experiences, and some not so great.

The best would probably be when I saw Lawrence of Arabia and 2001: A Space Odyssey in 70mm with dts sound. It was simply breathtaking. Others include seeing Star Wars Episode IV SE in a THX theater, and the LOTR films (no problems at my screenings so far, thank God).

A couple of odd occurances come to mind. When I saw Mission to Mars in the theater (one of the 3 people that did), this guy sitting next to me yelled out "Oh s#!t !!!" when Tim Robbins goes flying off into space.
It really shocked me. Also, at Crouching Tiger, this woman a couple seats down from me could not contain her enthusiasim. Every time someone floated/lept a great distance, she broke out in very loud OOHs, AHHs and WOWs. And just last weekend, at Revolutions, this woman in front of me kept jumping out of her seat and yelling at the screen during a tense scene, instructing the characters what to do: "Close that hatch!!! CLOSE IT!!!!" All these people seemed perfectly normal before and after the film, but during, they went cuckoo.

People can be very odd.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
When I saw SUPERMAN as a 7 year old. When the movie was over, I spent the entire ride home staring out the window at the stars and imagining that I was flying amongst them.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I was treated to a murder mystery once. When the projectionist got done with reel 1 he started up reel 3. I'll never forget that.

Glenn

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm... Seeing Episode IV on the big screen will probably be an experience I'll always cherish, even if greedo did shoot first.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I've posted this before, while I was at the cinema watching Mars Attacks! with some friends somebody's baby was crawling up and down the aisle throughout the film. I couldn't concentrate on the movie, that crawling baby was creeping me out! I was staring at martians on the big screen and at the same time a baby martian was creeping past my seat. :eek: The film had a 12 certificate over here so how that baby got in I don't know, never saw it's mother.

Many years ago I remember watching a movie in a cinema which was infested with rats, they were chasing each other between the seats and running into my legs.
I watched most of the film with my feet up, last time I went there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks