What's new

Most appreciative in TV DVD collection? (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
For me, it would be the shows that I didn't have already:

Mr. Peepers, The Goldbergs, Man With a Camera, Four Just Men, Man of the World, The Sentimental Agent, Whispering Smith, The Lawless Years

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
There are so many that I'm really happy to own:

THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW

THE AVENGERS

SECRET AGENT/DANGER MAN

THE PRISONER

VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA

THE FUGITIVE

LAND OF THE GIANTS

THE INVADERS

LOST

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (new)

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE

M*A*S*H

THE TWILIGHT ZONE

STAR TREK: TOS

STAR TREK: TNG

STAR TREK: DS9

STAR TREK: VOY

Those all represent my favorites in TV and each of the sets are pretty well done. I have to give dishonorable mention to LOST IN SPACE - I have it all, but wish it were transferred to DVD better.

But most of all, far and away, making my life complete and generally happy is the set from 20th Century Fox Home Video, THE TIME TUNNEL. If that set hadn't been issued in 2006, none of these others could fill the empty void that longing for THE TIME TUNNEL would create. The series certainly has its flaws, magnified by my own maturing and growing up, but the show held a fascination for me that was surpassed by no other. Kudos to all involved in the mastering and releasing of this most favorite of favorite series.

Harry

Eve Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Ok well am going to have to go with my favorite show of all time The Pretender. I was in Paris and went to a Virgin Megastore to look since I knew it had been released because it was pretty popular in France. Picked up both volumes of season 2 and the second half of season one, these were all they had instock. I was not able to pay with my debit card so I walked across the streeet to get money from an atm. Still the most I have paid over 100 euros total for a season even through the forget to ring one volume up Once I had a region free player and ready to order the rest of the series TVSHOWSONDVD.com annouced season one US release. The series actually it was released in about a year and the tv movies as well within 2. The French versions still sit on my shelf, they have a picture going across the outside when you line them up in order. Plus it would not be worth it to sell since the us versions have been on sale as low as $10 that I have seen.

As a result I ordered all the Ally Mcbeal sets and now also have the complete US boxset.

I also enjoy discovering shows for the first time.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I like Gary OS's new/old approach. I relish Firefly, since I completely missed it in it's original run. Going back I love having The Twilight Zone; but I have to add The Honeymooners to the list.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Radioman970

I'm grateful for my tremendous Saturday Morning nostalgia collection which includes everything from Filmation to Krofft to the odd ODDBALL thing I used to watch. Specifically ARK II, Land of the Lost, Thundaar, Dungeons & Dragons, etc.
I love the BCI Filmation releases. Now that the company is gone, they are even more special to me. Ark II, Space Academy He-Man, Isis, and all the rest. Fantastic.

Also, in order of importance to me:

-Planet of the Apes(1974).

-Transformers/G.I. Joe(Rhino)

-Thundercats

-Land of the Lost

-The Waltons

Little House on the Prarie

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Mine would be The Twilight Zone, without a doubt. But if Warner would ever get off their asses and release 77 Sunset Strip and Hawaiian Eye, they would quickly jump to the top of my list.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Originally Posted by Bryan^H

I love the BCI Filmation releases. Now that the company is gone, they are even more special to me. Ark II, Space Academy He-Man, Isis, and all the rest. Fantastic.

I bought up everything I was remotely interested in as soon as I'd heard. Fantastic is the word! Beautifully presented too on most.

Poor Mill Creek couldn't compete with that. Although I watch Mill Creek's version of D&D since my BCI one has out of sync sound. I'd heard Mill Creek's has restored sound with stuff that was missing on the BCI. But BCI's whole presentation, packaging, menus, etc, was exceptional.

ThatDonGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Del Grande
Favorite? Probably the 13 or so seasons of The Simpsons that have been released so far (not including the Season 20 "just the episodes" release). (More so in part because there was never any attempt to release full seasons in the USA on VHS - in fact, it took forever just to get any episodes besides the Christmas Special (I assume because of some "syndication exclusivity" deal).) Now, they need to work on another version of the movie with more features, as well as releasing Morgan Spurlock's documentary (with cut scenes included).

I might have said my Monty Python complete collection (including the two German episodes), but, unfortunately, only the edited versions of the episodes are on DVD. (To think I had a set of the unedited - well, except for not having "The Wacky Queen" or "Party Political Broadcast on Behalf of the Conservative and Unionist Party", but these were not on most of the PBS episodes in the USA either - episodes on the old Paramount VHS tapes at one point.)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Most appreciative set, tough call for me but I'd have to go with the Image Combat! sets for s couple of reasons:

- It's tied with my all-time grail list with the Fugitive for favorite TV series

- It's one series that I never expected to see a DVD release.

In spite of the issues (most of the S1-4 B/W eps are time-compressed and the master elements weren't used), it's my #1 in this catagory. I looked at that set as a trade-off, with the t/c but uncut eps.

If it had been a question of the best release, considering transfers as well as another one of my grail shows, I'd have chosen "Time Tunnel" easily.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
That's a very tough question to answer!

Simply because I loved both these shows when a kid, only saw both during their original broadcast runs, never saw either in syndication, and *never* thought I'd see them on DVD I'd have to pick either:

"The Time Tunnel"

or

"The Invaders"

Although I'd be remiss if I didn't include "Star Trek: TOS" in such an exclusive listing! While I was able to catch up with that one during my college years it was bounced around so much during the initial airings that I missed many of them due to mandatory school stuff (mainly marching at football games... blech!). Having them uncut on DVD is wonderful! Had Fox not screwed up the "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" sets by using DVD18's I'd include them as well... But I had so many problems with S1 (never got good copies of either set) that I'll not chance the others. It's just not worth the hassle when you can't enjoy watching because you're waiting for the "bad disk" to appear.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I like this question for many reasons. I hope more will answer. The selections are from all genre

The Brady Bunch, The Twilight Zone, I Love Lucy, The Flintstones, Wonder Woman, The Facts of Life, Dallas, Charlie's Angels, The Muppet Show, Fraggle Rock, The Dukes of Hazzard

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
My favorite show of all time is "Maude"...but am I most appreciative of the single season Sony gave us?? Heck, NO! I would have to give the award to VEI for their 2010 complete series set of "Gimme a Break". It's not my #1 show, but the way it was released all at once at a reasonable price point should set the standard for all the other "also-ran" Classic sitcoms on DVD. I wish these guys could acquire more goodies.

Oh, and an honorable mention to Shout! for completing "The Patty Duke Show" in less than a year (I didn't think we'd even see a commercial release!).

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Good questions, really.

Of shows I knew about and had watched before, easily I Love Lucy and Twilight Zone. I love being able to watch them whenever I want and either catch an episode that does not traditionally make marathons or an episode I have not seen in a while.

For a "blind buy", the prize goes to Westinghouse Studio One. Tremendous variety of programming and consistently good episodes and stories. True, a complete run does not exist, as yet, and the image quality can vary depending on the sources, but honestly, if I have a Studio One in my queue to watch, I get excited, since I know I'm going to be entertained no matter what.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Most appreciative - I think this is actually an easy question because I don't have to pick my favorite shows, just why it's cool to have them. For instance, of all the TV shows on DVD I have, The West Wing is probably my favorite show overall - but it's not something I revisit often.

For older releases or just DVD, it's The Twilight Zone - I have all 45 of the original Image releases with 3-4 episodes per disc, no special features, just the show. (One day I'll upgrade to Blu.) After years of watching the show, especially Fourth of July and New Year's Eve marathons on WPIX channel 11 in NY, seeing episodes here and there using a tiny TV with rabbit ears, catching random episodes at 1am at other times during the year when I'd babysit my cousins, wondering if it would be one I saw before or something I hadn't, which version of the theme song it was going to be, etc.... to just have finally had them all was pretty awesome to me. When I first got all these discs, I think in the year 2000 or 2001 (but I could be wrong about the exact year - I just know I got them years before the complete season DVDs came out), I was stunned at how many episodes I hadn't seen, so that was even cooler. And maybe the best part? I got them from a trade I did with someone online and I totally got the better end of the deal. As I recall, I traded an extra copy of The Sopranos Season 1 I had been gifted, the original two-disc "Gladiator" DVD, and a hundred bucks - all of that for 45 discs with every Twilight Zone episode ever! I mean c'mon that has to be the steal of the century.

The Sopranos, Season 3 I've got a soft-spot for -- I was an intern on the show for that entire season and it was my first ever professional job. I just like that I have a souvenir of that, and whenever I see one of those episodes, all of the memories of everything that went into making those episodes come flooding back.

For Blu-ray, it's the Star Trek: The Original Series sets. I've been a Star Trek fan since I was a kid (also watching episodes on WPIX), but the VHS tapes were too expensive to try to collect them all, same for the original two-episode-per-disc releases. Even the season sets when they first came out were out of my price-range. So despite it having been one of my favorite shows, I had never actually owned it in any form until the Blu-rays came along. To finally have it all in my collection (that it included both versions of each episode was a nice touch), to finally see it on my shelf, that's been pretty cool. It's not like there was anything there I hadn't seen, but after years of feeling like it was something I'd never have, finally bringing it home was awesome.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
This is an interesting question as i am sure it will vary from person to person. As for me it is tough to picked my favourites because it varies. I do like particular genres like family sitcoms, police/fire dramas, nightime soap operas, spy, etc. I am not into scripted to reality shows and probably never will be into those shows.

My collection of 67+ complete series along with other sets in my collection provide me with enough entertainment considering that i only watch 2 to maybe 3hrs of tv a night. I

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Wow tough question. I bet if I answered tomorrow I would give a different answer. Today's answer is Rockford Files and Magnum PI. I hope to someday have complete seasons of Charlies Angels and Love Boat.

TVAdam

Grip
Real Name
Adam
This isn't a TV show but it was released in volumes, similar to season sets and it's all out on DVD. I'm referring to THE THREE STOOGES. I've wanted all 190 shorts of their's forever and I finally own them. I'm proud to have them all, too.

Sticking to a TV show, I don't know. My favorite shows got shoddy DVD releases. So while I'm proud to have those titles in my collection, the DVDs themselves suck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks