What's new

"Mosquito" ringtone, can you hear it? (1 Viewer)

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I can hear it fine at 38, but then again I have professional studio monitors, which can reproduce sounds that high. Those who can't hear it, consider the capability of the speakers you are using. I find it hard to believe a cell phone could reproduce a tone that high. Ring tone speakers can't possibly be made for fidelity, can they?

I don't know, Brian. You should see the faces my son has made when I put on my old Ozzy, Sabbath, and Maiden vinyl. I think those kids today are into the rappin'. Just sounds like a bunch of damned noise to me... :D

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Interesting ... I can hear it on my home PC, but not my work laptop.
It seems the source you play it on may "adjust" the frequency.

I copied the original above MP3 file to my cell phone (which plays MP3) and I CAN hear it with the EQ set for "Rock", "Pop" or "Jazz" ... however, with the EQ setting on "flat" ....

1. I can NOT hear it. (early 40's)
2. My wife can hear it - she says its anoying but no too loud.
3. My kids cover their ears and HATE it. Even at low volume & from adjacent rooms they can hear it.
4. My 13 yr old dog has been deaf for the past 2 years :frowning:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Wait a minute now...Perhaps my laptop speakers AREN'T able to play the noise. I heard clicking before, but apparently I though that was the sound.

I moved the MP3 to my cell phone and (as Scott describes), when the EQ was set to "flat", it just clicked, but when I set it to "Rock", I heard this loud/long "Beeeeeep".

So which one is the correct one? I assume the long Beeeeeeeeeep was the correct sound?

p.s. I should mention that my laptop just has an integrated sound card, so maybe it's not so much the speakers, but the card. I'll see what it sounds like on my desktop which has a Creative Sound Blaster card in it.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
EDIT: I noticed that when I played the sound through my cell phone, when the settings were at "flat", only the last (highest) EQ bar jumped, but when I set the EQ to "Rock" I saw more movement in the lower ranges.

Again, is this just a speaker fidelity issue or can I really not hear the highest tones (when set to flat) and only when the "Rock" setting is implemented (bringing more lower tones into the mix) can I hear the sound????

Hmmmm?

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Mark ... exact same observations as me. The EQ settings like Rock, etc., modify the actual signal so it is no longer a pure 17 kHz tone & thus most people can hear it.

Now ... set your cell phone (LG VX-8100 by any chance?) MP3 on flat and play it for an 8 year old and tell us the reaction

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron

That sounds like my case! I'm 40 and the sound makes me feel LIKE MY HEAD IS ABOUT TO EXPLODE!!! YAAAGGGHH!!!! MAKE IT STOP!!! MAKE IT STOP!!! *BOOM!* *SPLAT!* :D

Seriously, that sound hurts my ears even when the volume is set pretty low (great tweeters in my various set-ups).

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Well, I copied the file to my cell phone and I can hear it. The media player on the phone doesn't appear to have any eq settings that I could find. Curious to see if I can hear it on my HT setup, I guess that will be the real test.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I checked the sound on my desktop and I still could only hear clicking.

I analyzed the sound in a sound editor and I can see the 'spike' at 16K and everything else is just below audible volume.

When I EQ it (even slightly), it brings out the lower range frequencies, so I guess that's why the "Rock" and "Pop" EQ's allowed me to hear it on my cell phone.

Very interesting.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I am 43 - Couldn't hear it. I called my 13 yr old son over to see if the computer speakers could handle it. He heard it no problem. I guess either too much loud music or factory work. :frowning:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I run it and it launches Windows Media Player version 10.

What I hear is click, low hum, click, click, low hum, click. There is nothing high pitched or annoying about it at all. Sounds like someone just plucked a low-range piano string.

I'll have to try it on some other systems to find out if I hear the same thing.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
There's no click and low hum to it. It's an extremely high pitched sound.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Wife couldn't hear it. (won't post her age) My daughter could. I then turned it up real loud to see if we could hear it. My son came out of his room and asked if we were playing that sound again!

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
laptop, could not hear it (crappy speakers I imagine) PC with headphones, could hear it no problem. mid 30's here

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
could hear it claerly with phones on the lap.
not withot the phones at all on the lap.

scares the crap out ofmy dog

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Tried again on my company laptop, a brand new Dell D610. Still came up with Media Player version 10. This time, through the laptop speakers, it was more of a popping noise, hiss, pop, pop, hiss, pop.

Obviously two audio snippets, badly put together, that's why I'm hearing a clickpop at the beginning and end of each piece of audio. Sounds like sloppy editing on an old cassette tape recorder.

Didn't bother my dog or my cat, or my sensitive 40 something ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks