What's new

More Warner Director Showcase releases - 26th May (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Zabriskie Point is probably the only title I will end up buying.

I wish it had some extras, but I am just happy it is finally coming out.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
"Zabriskie Point", at long last!

Now if only we can get the movie that's pictured in Jay E's signature, "The Devils".

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Great news about M. Butterfly - I think the last unreleased Cronenberg film on DVD.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Revolution and Beyond Rangoon are under-rated and over-looked films. The former is a historically intelligent and the latter is typical John Boorman, which means brilliant, and a wise depiction of then current events. Region 1 releases are most welcome.

I almost bought the French DVD of Zabriskie Point last week, but amazonfrance temporarily sold out. Now I read there's going to be a region 1 release, and I can wait. This is turning out to be a good time for fans of Michelangelo Antonio. In the U.K., Eureko Video has announced its restoration of Il Grido in its Masters of Cinema series for May 25, which should make the inferior Kino DVD obsolete. Last October, the BFI released a definitive edition of Red Desert in DVD and Blu-ray in region 2. Also last year in region 2, Eureka released a definitive edition of La Notte in the Masters of Cinema series, and Mr. Bongo Films released a respectable transfer of Identification of A Woman. Combine these with the Criterion DVD's of his other films and we now have a complete collection of Antonioni except for 1 film, I think. All of which makes this Antonioni fan very happy.

The Red Desert [Blu-ray] [1964]: Richard Harris, Monica Vitti, Michelangelo Antonioni: Amazon.co.uk: DVD

The Red Desert [1964]: Richard Harris, Monica Vitti, Michelangelo Antonioni: Amazon.co.uk: DVD

Identification Of A Woman - Michelangelo Antonioni [1982]: Michelangelo Antonioni: Amazon.co.uk: DVD

La Notte [Masters of Cinema] [1961]: Michelangelo Antonioni: Amazon.co.uk: DVD

I will post a link for Il Grido when it turns up.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name

Splendid news!

Very glad I held off on Zabriskie Point and it will be a pleasure to dispose of my laserdisc of M. Butterfly.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I honestly thought I'd never see Beyond Rangoon on DVD. I guess it's true that all good things come to those who wait. I'm also surprised but pleased to see Revolution which is often unfairly maligned. It's a fine film but Al Pacino's performance is pretty lousy and he is miscast and I think that's where most of the antipathy toward the film lies, Pacino ... and not the film itself.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Wow! A director's cut of LOOKING TO GET OUT! I'm impressed! Especially since it could have been lost were it not for the passion of Jon Voight.

A similar restoration is possible for another badly-edited film in WB's library: James Bridges' MIKE'S MURDER. Bridges longtime companion, Jack Larson, has told me that his original "flashback" cut of the film still exists in storage, and I think this would be an excellent candidate for "Take 5" of this series. Can a moderator help me on how to get word to WB? I would have thought since Larson did so much work for them on the SUPERMAN releases it would be easy to put them in touch, but so far nothing has moved.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Perhaps it's time to take another look at Pacino's performance. Emotionally he's doing all the right things. I think there are definitely problems in how Revolution is directed and in how Pacino's character is written. He is required to speak some awkward dialogue amidst long takes of vaguely-defined scenes. And yet it's a very compelling film, and a visuall feast for the eyes.

The reinstated footage is going to be very interesting.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I also have to say it was Kinski even more than Pacino who ruined REVOLUTION.

Plus, there was the look of the film. While at times stunning, here was a film about the American Revolution that was obviously not even filmed in America.

As a big history buff, I couldn't wait to see it. Yet, I pretty much hated the film.

That said, I am glad to see the DVD release and will give it another shot.

As for MIKE'S MURDER, I'd also love to see the original cut of the film.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
But, as truly happy as I am about this announcement, wasn't BEYOND RANGOON a Columbia release? How did Warner Bros. get it for DVD release? I guess I'll never keep up with the constant shuffle of rights from one place to another...

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

BEYOND RANGOON was fully financed and produced by Castle Rock, which was acquired by Turner and eventually folded into WB. As such, except for the earliest Castle Rock productions like MISERY and CITY SLICKERS, which were co-financed with the former Nelson Entertainment (which are owned by MGM) and A FEW GOOD MEN and IN THE LINE OF FIRE, where Columbia had an equity stake, all Castle Rock productions are now controlled by WB.

In less-publicized news, WB has been quietly reissuing Largo Entertainment productions previously released by Fox and Universal - TIMECOP with Jean Claude Van Damme is scheduled for a double-feature release with BLOODSPORT.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Beyond Rangoon!

The Zimmer scored catalogue is getting there.

How about on BRD?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks