More "Theater" & Less "Home Theater" at a winery (Please Critique)

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by dutchswan0311, Jun 13, 2011.

1. dutchswan0311

dutchswan0311 Auditioning

I am designing a "dinner theater" for a winery. Any help in critiquing what I have come up with so far is greatly appreciated! Please note that the primary use of this area of the winery is not as a theater, but as a reception hall, ballroom, etc. The winery will resemble a 17th century castle when finished, so the idea is for the technological aspect of the theater to be "invisible", hence the in-wall speakers I have chosen. If you scroll down you will see the components that I have picked out so far. Also, I am still trying to figure out how to work in a 5.1 or 7.2 surround system. Each speaker will be connected to an amplifier, and I have not yet figured out what goes between the blu-ray player and the amps (a simple 5.1 "decoder" that does not itself amplify???).

The room in which the theater would be put has the following dimensions:

Length: 45'

Width: 29'

Ceiling Height: 11' - 19' Vaulted/Flat Ceiling

(The rear of the room has a balcony with a floor that is 10' from the main floor and is 15' x 29')

I estimate that the room is overall about 18,000 - 20,000 cubic feet.

(Standing in the front corner of the room looking at the back of the room that contains the balcony)

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    You are putting one QSC amp on each of the front speakers? Set the levels appropriately or you will fry them.

I suggest you drop the Def-Tech idea all together and go with an acoustically transparent screen and pro speakers for the front three. More power handling with much better sensitivity. In a room that big you are making a real theater.

Dual 18's but only 1 amp? That's where you need to bridge the amps for the power. You do know that is a pro AUDIO sub? Look at the frequency response. There is no low bass coming from that sub. My little 15's can play 2 octaves lower. Unless you are planning on watching romantic comedies and skipping action movies, you need to look at other options. Since there is construction going on, maybe someone can help you build some subs. I suggest 4 of these with that QSC amp - http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/THT.html . The drivers for those are $80 each. Plans are $15. That leaves labor and PL glue for the best horn loaded, home theater subs. My other idea was shot down since Exodus Audio can't get 21" subs anymore.

A receiver with pre-amp level outputs for all channels. Most of the mid-priced models have this option. I suggest one with

Did you ever think about professional design?

3. dutchswan0311

@robert...

The QSC amps I have chosen are dual channel (350w x 2 @ 8 ohms), which perfectly match the RMS rating of the speakers. In short, each pair of speakers will be connected to an amp.

Your point on the subs is not lost on me. I am still researching to find something reasonable that will take my low frequency into the mid-20 Hz range. I cannot do behind screen speakers because the screen will be motorized to drop down in front of 4 windows (92" Tall, 33" Wide each). The windows will have heavy drapes to prevent light concerns, but needless to say; behind the screen speakers are not possible in this application.

The real question will be is doubling up on the LCR in-wall speakers for a total of 700w RMS on the Center Channel, as well as 700w from each of the L & R channels going to make for a pleasant listening experience in this application? Keep in mind this is a winery with a theater in it, not a theater with a winery in it. If people want an AWESOME theater experience, then they will go to a theater with a 60' screen and $300,000 in equipment. That said, I don't want to be found wanting either.

4. dutchswan0311

P.S. I am still looking for a good 7.1 AVR with preouts. I prefer to get one that I can mount on the rack with the rest of the equipment.

5. winniw

winniw Second Unit

I would really hire a pro for a project like this! But, that's just me...

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I missed that there will be a pair of speakers for each L/C/R.

Those are some pretty big subs and I assume you are hiding them. Where? A slightly taller cabinet with dual 15" home theater subs would give you a much better low end. You would need to upgrade to a larger QSC amp for the subs though. How high can you run up the budget for the subs? I'm loaded with ideas.

I would add a Behringer Feedback Destroyer into the mix as a sub EQ as well as an analog Radio Shack SPL meter. Setup takes an hour or 2 but the results in flattening out the sub's in-room response are worth it. It was the best $100 piece of equipment I've ever purchased.

I can understand your goals. Is it perfect? No. But I think the results will be very good. I suggest you start a build thread in the Projects section. I'd like to keep up with this.

7. dutchswan0311

I am rethinking the subs. The subs will be on the floor of the balcony (out of sight). This means the subs will be 10' up from the floor of the main room, which has an overall height of about 19'. Most people tell me the 6.5" drivers on the deftech in-walls I have selected will not be enough. Wow there is so much to plan.

8. dutchswan0311

I would if I had the budget for it.

9. winniw

winniw Second Unit

10. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    If Guitar Center is out of your budget, the designer of the horn sub I linked to above also has high efficiency speakers as well. The http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/TLAH.html PA mains are a good option. Same with the Tuba Home theater sub. You trade the cost of home theater speakers at a retail price for DIY speakers. Parts are cheaper but if you can't build them, then you have to pay someone to do it. I've seen guys knock out a Tuba sub in a weekend as their first DIY project.