What's new

More SFM owned shows coming to BOD! (1 Viewer)

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Rob_Ray said:
With the exception of maybe four selected shorts, THE LITTLE RASCALS are not in the public domain. The releases with the Maltin introductions are the complete run of the Hal Roach talkies and are fully copyright-protected with the exception of the few that slipped into public domain, including BEAR SHOOTERS.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Rob_Ray said:
With the exception of maybe four selected shorts, THE LITTLE RASCALS are not in the public domain. The releases with the Maltin introductions are the complete run of the Hal Roach talkies and are fully copyright-protected with the exception of the few that slipped into public domain, including BEAR SHOOTERS.
This is something that has puzzled me for years. (This is getting a little off topic, so I apologize.) I know SCHOOL'S OUT, BEAR SHOOTERS, OUR GANG FOLLIES OF 1938 and the MGM-produced WALDO'S LAST STAND are public domain, but for several years I have seen public domain collections released by Goodtimes, Legend Films and other companies which include many other Rascals talkie shorts, but they always use reissue titles with improper (or no) copyright notices -- and I know for a fact that in at least some cases, they didn't just use the prints on hand with Official Films, Erko, Allied Artists, Monogram or King World titles -- in at least some cases, they edited those reissue titles onto another copy of the short in question -- who knows, maybe from a Cabin Fever DVD. One short on a recent Legend DVD has King World titles, but a smooth transition from the opening titles to the main body of the short -- if you ever saw a King World version of a Little Rascals short, you know they NEVER had smooth edits from the title into the rest of the film. The short in question is SPOOKY HOOKY and it's on the DVD SCARY SPOOKTACULAR!Is this a case like (IIRC) NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD -- where if I understand right, they released a version with a copyright notice and without, and as long as someone had a print of the version with no notice, it was perfectly legal to release it.I am thinking it can't be this simple. Yet, these DVDs keep coming out.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
OK, it's a longshot, but now that the Retro-TV channel are showing episodes of the 1963-82 soap The Doctors, perhaps SFM (which has to the show) can consider putting out DVD sets of episodes, as MPI did with Dark Shadows. Right now, Retro-TV is showing episodes from January 1968, complete with the opening NBC peacock!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
LouA said:
Did anyone buy season five? ( Or any of the MOD Seasons ?) If so, are they complete episodes? DVD-r ? Anywhere else to buy it other than Amazon.com?
No mention at Amazon.com of Real McCoys season 5 or 6 being MOD. There are some complaints about playability, and sound . I'll be ordering this week.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
LouA said:
No mention at Amazon.com of Real McCoys season 5 or 6 being MOD. There are some complaints about playability, and sound . I'll be ordering this week.
I got Real Mc Coys season 5 in the mail last week. The discs are purple DVD - R's . Quality is about the same as first 4 seasons . I forgot to check to see if the episode I scanned was cut ,but I'm fairly sure they are. My guess is that this will be the best we will do with this show. Price is about $37.00 at amazon. Since I'm a fan I bought it and will do so for season 6 as well.

upperco

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackson Upperco
What's the deal with THE JOEY BISHOP SHOW's run Retro TV? I understand it's been on for several years; has anyone been recording it? What episodes/seasons are included in the package?

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Mark Y said:
...but for several years I have seen public domain collections released by Goodtimes, Legend Films and other companies which include many other Rascals talkie shorts, but they always use reissue titles with improper (or no) copyright notices -- and I know for a fact that in at least some cases, they didn't just use the prints on hand with Official Films, Erko, Allied Artists, Monogram or King World titles -- in at least some cases, they edited those reissue titles onto another copy of the short in question -- who knows, maybe from a Cabin Fever DVD. One short on a recent

It's a loophole in the copyright law - since these are technically different versions-editions-titles-edits.

It's much like the feature-versions of Serials that are public domain when the original serial is not.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
What about the hour-long Flip Wilson Show? Everything out there is of the same cut-to-22-minutes syndicated versions that aired on TV Land years ago.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
MatthewA said:
What about the hour-long Flip Wilson Show? Everything out there is of the same cut-to-22-minutes syndicated versions that aired on TV Land years ago.

They all exist safe and sound, and even Rhino put some of the hour ones out.

The original syndication length was 25 minutes. Some episodes were split into two,others cut down into a single half hour episode.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
AlanP said:
What happened to " Make Room For Daddy"??

Nothing happened. No one gave a timeframe. It is still likely to come at some point as well as The Joey Bishop Show. I have no idea when as no deals have been struck. Last I heard, it was about a 60-40 chance of happening.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Charles Ellis said:
OK, it's a longshot, but now that the Retro-TV channel are showing episodes of the 1963-82 soap The Doctors, perhaps SFM (which has to the show) can consider putting out DVD sets of episodes, as MPI did with Dark Shadows. Right now, Retro-TV is showing episodes from January 1968, complete with the opening NBC peacock!

Long shot is it! A"forgotten" soap not seen in...well,since the network run. is highly unlikely. not like it's "Dark Shadows" or "Peyton Place". It's amazing the tapes even survived mostly sequential from where they started (1966? 1967?) onward. It must have cost SFM a fortune to find 2" VT units to transfer these down to modern formats.

Neil Brock said:
Nothing happened. No one gave a timeframe. It is still likely to come at some point as well as The Joey Bishop Show. I have no idea when as no deals have been struck. Last I heard, it was about a 60-40 chance of happening.

MRFD and TJBS (although not as much) must be a music clearance nightmare! With MRFD there's one song per episode on average, sometimes more! I think this will be a tough one. (and I'd love to see the MRFD specials)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I've given up hope for The Danny Thomas Show, but I'd love for it to be revived.
Same here and sadly add Joey Bishop and Mr. Peepers to that list.

While I'm not a fan of MOD I'd consider them *if* they were "remastered" and priced reasonably.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'd get them even if not pristine, as long as they were reasonably complete.

I'm willing to give a tiny bit of leeway here such as the job done for clearances on WKRP which was an impossible situation to 100% clear or when a show like Dennis the Menace uses old transfers from the 1980's. But when 20% of it is missing, I draw the line.

Even if expensive and MOD, I'd follow it, albeit slowly due to the expense and wanting to be sure each set is in good shape in case there's a problem that requires prompt action on my part to get rectified.

I started recording them from COZI but they are BBB (Butchered Beyond Belief), coming in about 5 minutes short. That's 20% of the show missing. To me, its as unwatchable as trying to read a book with 20% of the pages missing.

Even if I got that channel, I'm afraid I'd feel the same way as you do.

That's why I only own season 6 despite season 5 having appeared on DVD earlier, since that one was so butchered that it was bound to have bothered me more than entertain me.

I know that it's less than ideal and annoys some people every bit as much as this situation, but I wish that they had gone the time-sped route instead.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation154
Recent bookmarks