What's new

more Ray Harryhausen, now it is Mysterious Island on 29 october (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...002/08_06.html
More Ray Harryhausen magic is on the way from Columbia on 10/29, with Jules Verne's Mysterious Island. Presented in anamorphic widescreen and English mono, extras include "the Harryhausen Chronicles" documentary, "This is Dynamation" and "The Making of Mysterious Island" featurettes, a still gallery, and trailers. Retail is $27.95.
the cover is on the same page
:emoji_thumbsup:

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Finally.
I've been waiting for this title since 1998. When Jason & The Argonauts came out in July 98 I figured Mysterious Island couldn't be far behind. Here we are four years later.
I'm not going to let the inevitable aspect ratio arguments get in the way of enjoying this release.
So Captain Nemo makes his DVD debut at long last. 20,000 Leagues and Underwater City releases would also be most welcomed now...

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
What's wrong with Columbia? They had stereo tracks which they didn't use for The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad DVD and now they've done the same thing for Mysterious Island. I don't want to hear Bernard Herrmann's music in mono so I'm not buying this until Columbia issues a stereo version.

Steve Grimes

Auditioning
Columbia may not own the stereo tracks, which were prepared by Pioneer for their Special Edition laserdiscs.

I dunno, anamorphic enhancement aside, I think I'll be sticking with the LD (it'll show more picture anyway).

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I cannot wait for this disc. This was one of my childhood favorites and I haven't seen it for 10+ years.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I mixed seventh Voyage of sinbad and Mysterious Island in stereo for Columbia and Pioneer. Colubia owns the stereo tracks for both films. They should put it and the original mono on the dVD.

Jonathan.e

Stunt Coordinator
What's wrong with Columbia? They had stereo tracks which they didn't use for The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad DVD and now they've done the same thing for Mysterious Island.
Don’t forget the aspect ratio foul-up on the R1 3 Worlds of Gulliver. :angry:
Looks like my Mysterious Island LD will not be finding it’s way to EBay any time soon.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
IMDB.com lists the aspect ratio as 1.37:1. This is certainly debatable (as its been debated here many times), but if Columbia would get their heads out of their asses and give us both versions, everyone would be happy.
The Harryhausen Chronicles and This is Dynamation are on almost every Harryhausen disc... I think I own these docs on 6 or 7 dvds! :angry:
I just don't get it.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
gotta agree absolutely mind boggling to include it on every single dvd that has been released so far.
:thumbsdown:

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
This is turning out to be a helluva year for vintage Sci-Fi/Horror/Fantasy film buffs like myself. :emoji_thumbsup:
All the Harryhausen titles, Vintage Hammer Horror, THEM!, Night/Curse of the Demon, etc.
All I can say about this release is this:
:D

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
The Aspect ratios on the Harryhausen films are problematic.
Some sot are shot in 1:66 - some 1:37, aome 1:85 depending on which camera they were using that day!

John Koehler

Stunt Coordinator
I'm keepin' my Caps LD on this one. The Herrmann score is so awesome it deserves the respect (stereo) given it on the Pioneer LD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks