More Pan & Scan releases on the horizon!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joshua Clinard, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    What with all the recent releases that have had multiple versions, I was looking at some prerelease lists, and I noticed a plethora of pan & scan titles on the horizon.

Dr. Doolittle 2
    Kiss of the Dragon
    Office Space
    Queen of the Dammed
    The Rookie
    The Sound of Music? WTF?
    Grease
    Murder by Numbers
    The Scorpion King
    E.T.
    The Santa Clause
    Back to the Future
    MIB II

This is an outrage! Who do the studios' think they are catering to? Who do they think is going to buy The Sound of Music in Pan & Scan, if they have not already bought the current one. It's been out for 2 years. Is Wal-mart even going to order these? I hope not. I really think we need to go ahead with the targeted ad Ron was talking about! It's time we ACT now, or it's just going to get worse and worse.

It's all about the education!

Feel free to add more.

2. Aaryn Chan

Aaryn Chan Supporting Actor

Spider-Man

3. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Dr. Doolittle 2
    Kiss of the Dragon
    Office Space
    The Sound of Music
    All four of these titles have been out for over a year now in widescreen only. I'm sure everybody who wanted to buy these titles have already done. They're just getting re-released in pan and scan (which I'm sure Wal-Mart will carry) while their original widescreen copies will remain getting produced (except for The Sound of Music, which will now be just one disc).
    Queen of the Dammed
    The Rookie
    Grease
    Murder by Numbers
    The Scorpion King
    E.T.
    The Santa Clause
    Back to the Future
    MIB II
    All will also be available in widescreen editions, which will probably sell more than their pan and scan editions. I can see the worryiness of such titles like E.T, Back to the Future, and MIB II being in pan and scan (which I honestly wouldn't care if it was released in pan and scan only as it was crap) along with widescreen versions, but the other six titles will probably have their widescreen copies sell more than pan and scan (especially Grease since the pan and scanning on that film is awful).
    As long as there is a widescreen version available (why can't everybody be like MGM and put both on the same disc?), I don't care if there is a pan and scan version out there.

4. jacob w k

jacob w k Stunt Coordinator

Can't they put the pan and scan on one side and the widesceen on the other like some dvds have. It might mean that some people who buy it for the pan and scan version could end up watching the widescreen version and seeing the difference. OF course, it would probably be more expensive for those who don't want the pan and scan.[​IMG]

5. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

6. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Most companies don't want to do flipper discs because A-People like artwork and B-greater risk of disc damage

8. Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea Second Unit

Why does having p&s on one side and widescreen on the other create a greater risk of disc damage?

The only damage done to any of the my double sided p&s/widescreen discs is the toxic symbol I draw on the p&s side with magic marker.

9. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill

10. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

Apparently, a lot of people here fear thatt, as long as pan-and-scan is available, people will watch it, and its dominance in the market will increase. The people who think this also seem to think eliminating pan-and-scan will lead to worldwide widescreen acceptance. It's not that easy. DVD has had its time as a former-laserdisc-geeks' niche market, but now it's mainstream. And as long as everyone has freedom of choice, it's OK...right? Give them their pan-and-scan, give us our widescreen.

11. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I Prefer seperate versions as long as the WS is made available. Heck who wants compomised bit rates and no extra's . But as soon as it's one version over the other then give me a flipper if necessary. I'm so blown away that people actually want to see films like AOTC, Spiderman and LOTR in P&S.

12. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The trend begins! I hope it does not reach the point where widescreen to pan&scan ratios are similar to what exists today in VHS.

13. Dana Fillhart

Dana Fillhart Supporting Actor

A little biased wording there, Steve? [​IMG]
    In this day and age of corporate-desire-for-control run amok (DMCA, RIAA/MPAA legal hacking, time-limit DVD play, etc.) I think the fear of dwindling widescreen opportunities is justified.

14. DarrenA

DarrenA Second Unit

The outrage should be when a title is released only in a Pan & Scan version. Since all of the titles listed above are available in widescreen versions as well, what's the problem?

15. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Bleh.

Are people born stupid, or do they have to work at it?

16. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

17. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

I think I've heard of VHS... I think one of the members here said it stands for "Very Highly Shitty" [​IMG]

18. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

vote with your wallet.

do not buy any DVD from any studio that releases anything in MAR. whether or not they also release the same titles in OAR is irrelevant.

do not buy any DVD that is released in both MAR and OAR.

the studios foist P&S versions of SW:TPM, SW:AOTC, LOTR:FOTR and yet people buy the WS versions anyway. don't buy -either- and let the studio know why.

and do not view any movies in theaters that are released bny studios that do MAR DVD.

think you can do it?

19. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

20. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill