What's new

More Night Court?? (1 Viewer)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I'd take Karen Austin or Paula Kelly over Ellen Foley any day. One season was too long. Let's hope they announce S2 soon!

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

Thanks for the heads-up, Keith! Now I really am feeling old. :)

Seriously, though; I'm glad it'll be on again. Our cable system doesn't have the Biography channel, so it's been a few years since I last watched any episodes (besides Season 1, of course).

I really do hope Warner gets around to more season sets. As I said in my earlier posts, this was a pretty popular show in its day, so I would imagine it would sell well. Maybe some people are waiting until the later seasons for the more familiar cast.

However, I would happily pick up every season (even the 9th one).

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Yeah, having a favorite show turn up on TVLand is kinda like hearing a song you used to dance to in high school on the local Oldies station. :D

Regards,

Joe

Dan*T

Supporting Actor

Unfortunately, I know what you mean, but I don't understand why..It was such a popular show with a huge fanbase. Just look at how many viewed this thread alone.
I still think that we may see a few more releases. But I doubt all 9 seasons will make it..:frowning:

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
It's not official, but according to TVShowsonDVD.com more Night Court may be coming out in a "Best of" collection: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4390

Sigh. I know this is just "through the grapevine" information right now, but if it turns out to be true, it's disappointing.

I thought we were past all this "testing the waters" business. It seems to me that most of the people they are trying to reach would not buy "Best-of" sets, because they are waiting for season sets.

I guess we'll see what happens.

Drew Mertz

Stunt Coordinator
Warner Bros can take that best of crap and shove it right back up their ass! Release season set or nothing at all.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
Warner Bros. probably made a big mistake by releasing six shows on one day, even at the low prices they sold for. Also, they might want to try again, since at least two of the shows (Murphy Brown and Night Court) hadn't been seen in syndication (at least not in all markets - not here in Atlanta) until this year (February for Murphy Brown, August (?) for Night Court) and new audience members such as myself want to have the sets now.

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
Maybe they're doing it to see if more seasons would sell if they release them, I would rather they do this, than them release a set and it not sell well and we get no more sets. It does show that they're behind it at least IMO>

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Could be, but then that doesn't make sense because wouldn't they have known that from the release of season 1? I mean that's already out there for people to buy so why couldn't they just go buy those numbers instead of going backwards to release a best of disc? This is a definite curious move.

I will only buy this disc if no season 1 episodes are on it.

John Milton

Second Unit
I hope the best of senario turns out false. I gotta agree with Drew's post. Give us season box sets or don't bother.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
I'm kind of surprised that neither Night Court or Murphy Brown has had a second season release. It isn't even like Night Court has any music rights issues where the cost of putting those out would be higher.

Paul

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
I'm actually really pissed about this. When I saw that there was news for N.C. this was not the news I wanted, as I'm sure all the other fans out there agree that it is a step backward. It really is a surprise that Season 2 at the least has not been announced yet, seeing as it's already been 9 mths since Season 1. C.mon W.B. lets get it together...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Okay, Pavan and I were talking, and we think we've figured out the logic of why Warner is doing this particular best-of release for Night Court. Go back to Post #10 in this thread: "Bring on the Markie Post years". We think that they want to collect a few Markie episodes together and bring them out on a "TV Favorites" release to satisfy those fans who mainly remember the MP years. Season 2 means Ellen Foley's "Billie Young" instead of "Christine Sullivan", and so maybe Warner wants to give fans a taste of Markie before bringing out the official Season 2 set. Most of the credit goes to Pavan for this theory, but it makes sense to me.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
I'd really like to be wrong, because I love "Night Court" (at least until creator Reinhold Weege left and it started to suck), but my reading of this is that the TV-favorites disc is all we'll get. I wouldn't be surprised if WB wasn't happy with sales of the first season.

It really would have helped if WB had done a "first two seasons" release, combining the rough first season with season 2, which is closer to the cast people are familiar with, and has some of the best episodes. Spilt milk, I guess.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I would buy as many of the "best of" discs that I could afford and give them away as gifts if that's the only way to get season sets.

How about releasing Season 3 first (including the Season 2 episode that introduces Christine) then release Season 2 way down the line? That would not satisfy the Ellen Foley fans but at least we'll get the season sets we wanted.
-

John Milton

Second Unit
If there's concern from WB about S2 not selling as much as later seasons with Christine then why don't they release S2 & S3 in a box set together?

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Hearts Afire can have two seasons released on DVD (albeit from Image Entertainment instead of WB) so maybe Markie Post is a selling point. John Ritter is probably another. I am curious to know the demographics of the buyers. But Image's criteria for success is probably different from WB. But obviously sales of HA:S1 were enough to justify a HA:S2 release (Tuesday, Nov. 1).
-

John Milton

Second Unit
Well then if it's the only way to get released, how about WB leasing the rights to Night Court to Image for Season Box Set releases? Heck at this point I'm willing to do a special order thing ala My So-Called Life.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks