What's new

More Miyazaki DVDs coming in 2004 (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
As per The Bits' Rumor Mill:

According to Nausicaa.net, Buena Vista has revealed the U.K. DVD release dates for the following Studio Ghibli titles:

April 2004 - Porco Rosso (Miyazaki), Whisper of the Heart (Screenplay by Miyazaki)

September 2004 - Only Yesterday (Isao Takahata), Pom Poko (Isao Takahata)

November 2004 - Nausicaa Valley of the Wind (Miyazaki), My Neighbour Totoro (Miyazaki)

It stands to reason that the U.S. will see a similar schedule, especially since Porco and Whisper are confirmed to have been dubbed already, Porco having a premiere at the Austin film fest on Tuesday. Since Howl's Moving Castle, Miyazaki's new film, will supposedly be released in fall 2004 in the U.S. only months after its July Japanese premiere, his two most popular films would make a good pairing to help promote that. Those with region free DVD players can take advantage of the entire Ghibli library on DVD in R2 and R3, all titles featuring English subs and, in some cases, English dubs.

Films still orphaned without U.S. release dates include My Neighbors the Yamadas (Takahata), I Can Hear the Sea (Ocean Waves) and The Cat Returns (a pseudo-sequel to Whisper of the Heart).

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
BTW, here's the English dub cast of Porco Rosso:

Michael Keaton (Batman, Beetlejuice) as Porco Rosso
Cary Elwes (The Princess Bride, Comic Book Villains) as Donald Curtis
Kimberly Williams-Paisley (According to Jim TV series) as Fio
Susan Egan (Spirited Away & Howl's Moving Castle voices) as Gina

Here's the link:

http://animenation.net/news/index.php?id=5462

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Good news. I have been enjoying his movies of late--first SPIRITED AWAY and then PRINCESS MONONOKE. I rate SPIRITED AWAY slightly above PRINCESS MONONOKE, but enjoyed them both tremendously.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
"The premiere was attended by Cindy and Donald Hewitt, the english language adapators for Porco Rosso as well as Spirited Away. They talked about the process that they go through in translation and how they only had like a week and a half to translate Porco. But you all want to hear about whats next right? Well work is currently proceeding with Nausicaa, with actors currently recording. Those include Patrick Stewart, Uma Thurman, and Natalie Portman. The translation for Whisper of the Heart is done but there is some sort of problem with the song.(They didn't go into it.) So most likely the next movie out after Nausicaa will probably be Pom Poko. Oh, and the DVD for Porco should be out sometime in April. Last, to break all your hearts they said that this will most likely be the only theatrical showing of Porco. "

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
A little later than I'd hoped, but still absolutely AWESOME news. I've only seen two of the four (Proco Rosso, Nausicaa), but I'll be sure to buy all these.
So far, Disney has really impressed me with their treatment of Ghibli's work.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I ended up getting the Limited Edition R2 of Nausicaa... it's great! ;)

No new news on the R1 DVDs though, I expect them late 2004.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yes, which is why I'm a little surprised that Disney is going to release it. I really didn't think they would release this film because of the testicle jokes. I'm glad that they are releasing it, because it is a pretty good film.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Yes! Confirmed by the Bits today!

In other news, not a day after we posted word of this in The Rumor Mill, we've gotten official confirmation from Buena Vista that Wave 2 of the Miyazaki Collection will street on August 31st. Miyazaki's Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Porco Rosso and My Neighbor Totoro will be released as 2-disc special editions (SRP $29.99 each). All three titles will feature newly produced English language voice tracks as well as the original Japanese audio. Also included will be complete storyboards, behind-the-scenes featurettes and more. All three films will be presented in anamorphic widescreen (1.85:1 aspect ratio). My Neighbor Totoro and Porco Rosso will feature Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, while Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind will be mono.
:D :D :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Complete press release here: http://www.animatedbliss.com/news.asp?TID=676

P.S.: I know it's way early, but I wonder what we can expect for Wave 3? Howl's Moving Castle should be out this fall, right? So a next summer DVD release would be appropriate. Let's see what others there are left... Princess Mononoke is the only other Miyazaki-directed feature that can be added, and as a third title perhaps one of the films from my first post of this thread, Whisper of the Heart perhaps...

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I couldn't be happier. I haven't seen any of these films, but I've loved every Miyazaki film I've seen, so I'll be happy to buy these blind.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
And these are a good set to buy blind, since they are some of the best the director has to offer...

Jason

Brendon

Second Unit
I've loved every Miyazaki film I've seen, so I'll be happy to buy these blind.
You can do so with the utmost confidence. I've plumped for buying Totoro, Porco Rosso and Nausicaa on R3 blind and all three are excellent.

Totoro is in serious contention with Spirited as my favourite Miyazaki and both are in my top 10 of all time. To quote Roger Ebert "Whenever I watch it, I smile, and smile, and smile."

Can anyone suggest which of the none Miyazaki Studio Ghibli films I should get next ?

Brendon

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Can anyone suggest which of the none Miyazaki Studio Ghibli films I should get next ?
Well, "Grave Of The Fireflies" should be a requirement to watch, tho after watching it, you may not have the strength to watch it again. It is pretty emotional.

I personally like "Whisper Of The Heart", which was written by Miyazaki, but directed by Kondo, who passed away during production of Princess Mononoke. It is quite cute.

I also like "Pom Poko", which is Takahata being a little more light hearted with another serious subject.

Jason

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
Porco Rosso is amazing, though I think "Castle in the Sky" is my favorite Miyazaki. "Grave of the Fireflies" being one of my favorite films of all time. I can't wait for these three new releases (another Miyazaki day!)
I also just picked up this Geneon title called "Panda Go Panda" directed by Takahata and written by Miyazaki. '72, I think. Though not as complex as their later work, it had a lot of the same warmth and was really cute, though decidedly aimed at a younger crowd.
Two question
Would Disney have the rights to "On Your Mark," the 6 minute short film/music video from 1995 that Miyazaki wrote/directed and therefore be a possibility on a future release?
And any chance of seeing Takahata's "Anne of Green Gables" on R1 DVD any time? Is that Ghibli? Who owns it?
Thanks!

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
The only reason I would buy Nausicaa would be if they translated the commentary by Hideaki Anno that is on the R2 disc (most likely, it will just be dropped [since it is in Japanese ;)])

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks