What's new

more input needed! (1 Viewer)

Jon Musil

Stunt Coordinator
I'm having an issue with finding a great sounding pair of smallish mains (under 35" tall) and matching cc that can be purchased in the $1,200 range.

The problem is the mains will sit in a built in drywall "enclosure"/cubby hole with the following dimensions 35H x 11.5W x 25D. Given the enclosure where the mains would sit has almost no venting out the back, just a wire pass through tunnel, I've been told that I should avoid a rear ported speaker and look for a sealed cabinet. However, I can't imagine a front ported unit would be a problem.

My current mains are sealed cabinets so my experience with the "effect" is nonexistant. Please advise!

BTW, I had Rockets, Axioms, Paradigms and Monitor Audio Silver on my list of finalists until I realized that each of my main selections in those lines was rear ported and might not work! I'm now considering the MA Bronze series and looking for more quality choices. BTW, I strongly prefer to have an option other than black for the cabinets. Thanks in advance!

PaulT

Supporting Actor
The new Studio v3's from Paradigm are now front ported.

The Studio 20v3 dimensions are 15Hx8.25Wx13.75D.
Available in Cherry, Sycamore and Black Ash laminate finishes.

Studio 20v3 MSRP (USD) are $800 pair for black laminate.
Matching Center Channel CC370 MSRP is $600

Here's a copy of the news release:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/newsf...3-06-2003.html

IMHO if you can afford the extra 300 (or less), the Studio 40v3's would be a better deal. Dimensions are 22Hx8.25Wx13.75D. I believe that the 40's were the best value for dollar in the v2 lineup so have to think that would be similar with the new line.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Definitely avoid rear ports if the speaker will be in any kind of an enclosure.

Front port should be find as long as the front of the speaker is flush with the front of the cabinet, even better if it is sticking out a bit. The same goes for any speaker. You want to minimize and kind of a baffle or reflection the cabinet will cause.

Jon Musil

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info guys! I really appreciate the effort on the link Paul.

And Curtis you get the credit for pointing out the possible conflict about rear porting with my enclosures! Bravo!

However, things seem to be getting more cloudy and confusing with each step down this whole HT path! So, I shouldn't be surprised that I've received another opinion on the porting issue. I emailed a very helpful HTF member regarding the opinion, which I will paste immediately following this paragraph.

I just spoke to my dealer I bought the 43tx from about the enclosure issue. He (Scott from AV Perfection) also seems to be extremely knowledgeable about AV issues and has been in the business quite awhile. On the issue of rear porting Scott said my setup was actually conducive to better bass sound as long as I had at least a few inches of room behind the rear port(s), and although he didn't mention the porting wouldn't impact the higher frequency ranges I certainly got that impression since he didn't warn me off about it.

He explained it this way, because sound waves below 500hz are non-directional I would get better base performance because the sound waves were actually not being dissipated as they would be w/o the enclosure. By being compressed more, my enclosure would function somewhat like the technology in a high end "folded horn" sub!

One last point Scott made for emphasis was his analogy about down firing subs being more effective because they fire down onto the hard surface plate below them thus compressing the sound wave, instead of the front firing sub which lets it dissipate more readily. I was leaning to a front firing sub because I thought that they would be more effective, but now I will have to reconsider that whole line of thinking. Perhaps the best solution is to get a combination front/down firing sub.

WELL GUYS, what do you think? I'm about at my elastic limit over this speaker issue! It was fun, informative and rather exciting a few days ago, now I'm closer to obsessed, frustrated, frazzled and confused!

:frowning:

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Jon,

Welcome to world of an audiophile......I just got there myself.

If the enclosure was designed to do as Scott says, then I would buy into it. But it is not. I would think you would get boominess. A folded horn is purposely designed as such.

As far as waves below 500hz being non-directional. I totally disagree with that. It is well known that below 100hz is when bass loses its localization to the human ear.

Down firing and side firing subs have there own tradeoffs. Front firing has advantages at the upper end of the bass, whereas down firing at the lower end. Either way, a well engineered sub is not going to have any problems.

Looks like you are getting information overload. Might be time to go with your gut feeling and give some things a try.

Jon Musil

Stunt Coordinator
Curtis, does the term "bittersweet" sound familiar? :D

You make some good points, but generally a speaker of this size with woofers in the 6-6.5" size range is comparatively weak with regard to bass performance.

However, if I were to get some boominess I would hope making an adjustment at the receiver would solve or mitigate the problem.

Thanks again!

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
However, if I were to get some boominess I would hope making an adjustment at the receiver would solve or mitigate the problem.
Sure, but the boominess is a undesireable effect of the cabinet. By trying to mitigate it, you are going to lose some of the desired sound of the speaker. In fact, that boominess will always be there. The only way that it might be OK is if the cabinet opening was completely sealed with the speaker in it, and there was sufficient insulation to reduce resonating.

True, not much bass coming from smaller drivers, but placing them in the cabinet to gain bass I do not think will have the desired affect.

IMHO, you will be much better off with non rear ported speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks