What's new

More info on Stern and Sirius.... (1 Viewer)

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
Not a flame, but this just more solidifies my position against Stern at this point:

" Stern will host a show from 6 to 10 a.m. Mondays through Thursdays, with a "best of" running on Fridays. Also, Stern will produce two channels for Sirius, one of which will be an all-music format. "
http://www.mediapost.com/dtls_dsp_ne...?newsID=282369

Then this from Joe Clayton:
Sirius chairman Joseph Clayton, in a speech given to Wall Street bankers and analysts, tried to calm investor jitters Thursday. He said Sirius is on track to hit 1 million subscribers at year-end and that 100 million subscribers a decade from now is possible.

He acknowledged, however, that the monthly subscription price for Sirius will have to increase. "Does anybody really think that the price will stay at $12.95 (a month)?" asked Clayton.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/12/09/news.../sirius_stern/

I'm sorry, but this is just ludicrous to me.
The guy is gonna give you a less than 100% effort, and then Sirius' sub price is gonna be raised across the board, regardless of the fact that not everyone on Sirius is interested in Stern, and the fact that they are already $3 more a month than XM, without Opie And Anthony?

No thanks.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Something else I like to point out in there:

Car security? From a satelite radio company? Maybe it is just me, but I don't particularly want my car security to be accessable via satelite. Are they thinking that they will be offering an OnStar-type of service?

It doesn't surpise be at all that prices could be raised because of Stern. Course, that conversation was to Stockholders, so I'd expect that type of talk. Doesn't mean it will happen.

Jason

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor

That very first Friday is going to be the most obsurd "Best Of" ever. Do you think he will be playing stuff from his current radio show?

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't mind a "best of" from the previous four days. It would be more interesting to me than a Jessica Hahn interview from 1991.

Joe McCabe

Second Unit
But Best Of Shows are what weekends are for.

This guy keeps asking his fans to jump to satellite for him, he owes them a full week's programming.

Or, if they are going to increase the price of Sirius, and he's only gonna give a 4 day effort, then they should be making that clear to people, when he advertises his big move on his show. I love how he kept saying "And you'll get my show, with the regular subscription price, there won't be any added on fees"
But, what he wasn't telling anyone, was that they were gonna INCREASE the "regular subscription" to even more than the $3 more a month than XM, than it already is.

I see alot of people making the "well, he's gonna be programming a music channel too" argument, but the last time I checked, Satellite radio has ALOT of music on it.
Call me crazy, but I don't think anyone is pining away for the Howard Stern music channel to be added to the already overflowing line-up.

People will be making the jump for his talk show. LOTS of people have bought Sirius this Christmas due to his promotion, and he never told them the real story.

I wonder how many people would have dove in knowing that they were probably gonna end up spending $15 or more a month for a 4 day show?

He should have at least been honest with his fans.

DanNeuenswander

Auditioning
I can afford $15 a month for NO commercials, heck, I've listened to 20 minute blocks of commercials:angry: waiting for HS to get back on the air, I would gladly pay $15-$20 for ALL-HS and no friggen commercials. $15. a month IS NOT alot of money, especially if you are WILLING to pay $12.95, whats $3. more bucks ? NOT a deal breaker for me.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Hmm. You know, when I've talked to people at SIRIUS, they don't have this listed as anything projected.. as it would impact people who bought lifetime and multi-year deals, you'd think as well.

That having been said, I have full belief that inflationary forces will work on both networks the same as they do on everything else. In 1992, I paid $69.00 a month for Cable with HBO. Now, I pay $300 a month, of course, that's high speed internet, HD, SHO, CIN, Starz, etc.. I expect all prices, in the longterm, will normally increase.

(I was pleasently surprised to see gas at $1.49 at a place local, but then again, I remember it at .69 cents, and that will likely never happen again.. there is more tax alone on gas right now then .69 cents)

MacLean

Auditioning
No kidding, without those commercials its like getting an extra two days of programming. Still worth it. Who else are you going to listen to?

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
Stern fans will pay it and deal with it gladly. Stern does not owe anybody a thing. If you dont like the pitch, sont bite.

-rob

MichaelPR

Second Unit
All I have to say is I have Sirius in my car and home and I enjoy it greatly. And I know alot of people here have XM and I'm cool with that. I just feel like everyone has to crap all over Sirius and Howard Stern at this part of the forum. I am a big fan! I work a tough teaching job in a hard school in the Bronx and just about the only thing I look forward to in the morning is listening to Stern. He makes me hour long commute go by in what feels like minutes. Too many Stern haters on this board!! I would pay $25 a month to hear Stern 4 days a week and a best of on Fridays! I think he is hysterical! And I can't wait to hear him on Sirius!

martyTeboe

Grip
"Too many Stern haters on this board!! I would pay $25 a month to hear Stern 4 days a week and a best of on Fridays! I think he is hysterical! And I can't wait to hear him on Sirius!"

I couldn't agree more, Michael. People can hate Howard all they want. They always have, and look at him now. Howard is not going away. Now, he truly is "The King of All Media!"
My understanding is, that along with the 4 days on/1 day best of schedule, we'll get a repeat of the morning show in the afternoon. That is a huge improvement over the current schedule. Also, the "best of" will be a compilation of the best bits from the previous 4 days, which will also replay on weekends. Howard fans rejoice!

As to those who decry the 4-day workweek. Have you ever tried to be creative and funny 5 hours a day, 5 days a week for 25 years? You might have run out of material a while back, I'd assume.

Howard's move to Sirius will be huge for that company. It will also be fortuitous for XM. I have to think that all of the XM fans that denounce Howard are fearful of the negative impact on their beloved XM. I think you've nothing to worry over. Both companies will prosper.

Satellite radio is here to stay. Be glad you got on early!

mt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks