What's new

More hints at Star Wars 30th Anniversary DVD set? (1 Viewer)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Well, the Special Editions were released in '04, Episode III in '05 and the OT in '06, but I can't remember if they all had game tie-ins. If so, this would be the 4th year in a row.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
They did have game tie-ins. '04, it was Battlefront II. '05, it was Revenge of the Sith. '06, it was Lego Star Wars II.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Yeah, I never played them, so I got it mixed up. I do remember SWInsider doing a feature on the DVDs and Battlefront.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I have to say I agree with that. Each film had it's own unique score, and with each film, new themes emerged that distinguished the tone of each film from one another. IMO, the score for SW is perfect and doesn't require augmentation.

I remember when EMPIRE was released and we heard the Imperial March theme in the trailers for the first time. The theme heralded a new Star Wars film and was very exciting. It also spoke to the darker nature of the film: the EMPIRE rebounds, kicks butt and wins round 2.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
It's just a musical continuity issue - the Imperial March is heard in every film except episode 4, which is understandable but against Lucas' attempts to link all six films as one chronological story.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

'scuse me... I gotta go carve out my mental eye with a lightsaber.

;) Thanks Brad. I just sprayed my drink all over my desk.... LOL!

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Gotta go with Miel and Eric on this. That music just doesn't fit...

While I seem to be in the minority in that I like *most* of the changes to the OT, changing the score to that degree is something I'd be against.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
And every single change that's made to
John Williams' original score
Is a humiliating kick in the crotch!

/Police

Rolando

Screenwriter

Brad that was wrong! You destroyed a beautiful image :)

Poor Tony, now he is missing his 3rd eye. Well at least he's not kicking himself in the crotch this time. :D

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

Exactly.

And I happen to think the scoring fits reasonably well with the scene in ANH. We have the Imperial March anouncing Vader's arrival (which has been done countless times through out the films), the Battle of the Heroes theme playing with Obi-Wan and Vader dueling which is a rematch from ROTS. And the score punctuating when R2 and 3P0 leave is very reminiscant of ESB when the droids escape from Cloud City. These are the "rhyming scenes" which Lucas describes when making the PT films.

Of course I believe the Obi-Wan Vader duel should be redone with new stunt actors and CGI, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms. ;)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

Despite that battle being the least exciting - mainly because it featured an elderly man fighting a weightlifter who probably couldn't see very well in the mask - if the FX guys would finally fix Obi-Wan's short circuiting lightsaber (fixed partially on the DVDs, but it's still flickering out) it should be fine.

However the lack of skill both characters show in their fighting is even more obvious when seeing both of them fight in episode 3, and Vader fight in episode 5.

Eric Gripp

Agent
Richard, it's called the Imperial MARCH. The scene you placed it in is a reveal. It may work for you, but it doesn't fit the scene. In fact, I would say that your changes completely ruin the scene. The reason the scene is so well done is that Williams put in a big bass drum and cymbal motif to signify that Darth Vader was there, and then it's just silence........except for the steady hum of Vaders already ignited saber. And then we get that great Vader voice saying "I've been waiting for you Obi-Wan". "The circle is now complete, when I left you I was but the learner now I am the master". Then Obi-Wan says "Only a master of evil Darth" and we get that great first (that any of us had ever heard) lightsaber clash.

I guess I just don't understand why you would think a lot of fast music and fast clashes with sabres make for a better scene. They don't. It's like the fight in The Matrix Reloaded where Neo is fighting Seraph in the "test" duel. They are just hitting each others hands and kicking each others feet in a coordinated dance. It's not a fight. There is no drama. I'm not a big Fight Club fan, I think it's a decent, fun movie, but when Edward Norton punches Brad Pitt for the first time it's hard not to wince. It looks like a real punch. There is some reality behind things. Some drama.

The duel in Episode III looks like they are trying to hit each others sabers. It's hard to believe that they are actually trying to kill each other. It's like a dance, not a fight. But if that's what you like......

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator
In 1997, when Darth appears, you could hear a pin drop in the theater. Then, the music comes back only when Ben sacrifices himself. (spoiler!) More music would ruin it. Also doesn't Vader say "your powers are weak old man" ? Why would the fight be any faster? Just saying.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
For pure continuity, Vader is clumsy in ANH, and a subtle, graceful swordmaster in Empire. Yoda was an OLD Jedi but was fast as hell when he fought, and being human, Obi-Wan could have been faster.

Again based only on continuity, not 'coolness' factor, not the limitations of the actors involved, not the technological limitations.

I think ANH is fine as it is with regards to music and that fight. Except for the short circuiting blue lightsaber. I do have one issue with the film, and it has nothing to do with Greedo or anything altered from the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks