What's new

more FS only madness (1 Viewer)

James L White

Supporting Actor
from DVDfile.com

Rounding out today's news is a giant wave of price reductions of Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment, who on March 23rd will reduce the prices of many of their biggest DVD catalog titles to as low as $9.95. Newly reduced to $14.95: Another You, Best of Ripley's Believe It or Not, Easy Rider, Fly Away Home, Glass House, Greatest 70's Cop Shows, Joe Dirt, Knight's Tale, Master of Disguise, My Girl, Seeing Double, Trapped and Troop Beverly Hills. And listing for only $9.95: Against All Odds, And Justice For All, Apt Pupil, Arlington Road, Baby Geniuses, Bats, Bear, Blind Date, Blue Thunder, Bugsy, Casualties of War, Charlie's Angels: Angels Under Cover, Crazy in Alabama, Drowning Mona, Fan, Glitter, Godzilla, Hanging Up, Hanover Street, Hush, Jawbreaker, Johnny Mnemonic, Kermit's Swamp Years, Last Action Hero, Mary Reilly, Mrs. Winterbourne, Muppets From Space, My Life, No Mercy, Peggy Sue Got Married, Perfect, Thomas and the Magic Railroad, To Gillian on Her 37th Birthday, Toy, The, Two Moon Junction and Who's Harry Crumb?. Note, however, that the savings comes at a cost - many of these titles, including Last Action Hero, Mrs. Winterbourne and Peggy Sue Got Married, will be "streamlined" to a full frame-only, single-layer disc, i.e., the widescreen side will be dropped. Columbia has also done this on some of their previous priced-reduced reissues, so pay close attention to the packaging before buying.

Yeah way to go Columbia,AGAIN!!!!!!!!!! I guess I'll have to run out and pick up the WS dsics before they're replaced with Foolscreen only.

:rolleyes::angry: :thumbsdown:
WAY to push the FS format, IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I have yet to figure out why Columbia goes to extra expense to limit their customers' options. :confused:

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Well, that's a big bunch of pretty mediocre movies coming out in a truly crummy format. Columbia really knows how to peg out the apathy meter.

Jan

WillG

Senior HTF Member

So Damn stupid. How much more does a DVD-9 or DVD-10 cost to produce over a DVD-5?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I wish Ron had set up a Worst Studio "award" for this year's HTF Awards voting. Columbia needs a big official communal bitch-slap from us. :angry: :thumbsdown:

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
But it doesn't give us the complete list of titles that will lose the widescreen side. There are several titles mentioned that I'd like to pick up before this disaster happens.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I think this is a load of shit myself. God knows why Columbia would do this. There's only a few titles on there that I want but for the rest of you guys and im sure loads of others that would want some of those.

PS Hows the transfers of Blue Thunder and Muppets from Space? Are they anamorphic?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member

Yes they are both 16x9 enhanced. With the disclaimer that it has been awhile since I watched either disc my memories are that both transfers are just fine. Muppets From Space is a lot of fun, with a bright, colorful transfer and an excellent soundtrack. Blue Thunder gets the job done, with the transfer being faithful to the film's theatrical look. I wouldn't have problems recommending either disc to fans of the respective films.

Guess I'd better look at the list and see if there is anything I want. Some of those titles have only been released in a MAR'd 1.33:1 AR, such as To Gillian On Her 37th Birthday.

Frickin' Columbia :thumbsdown:

- Walter.

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
Hmm...

With Sony's electronics division making newer and better widescreen TVs than a few years ago (see www.sonystyle.com for examples), doesn't CTHE phasing out widescreen versions of their DVDs seem a little, i dunno, counter-productive?

~shrugs~

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Same here. I expect to buy a new widescreen TV this year, but it definitely won't be a Sony since their home video arm releases a lot of incompatible software.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I came THIS close to selling my Last Action Hero, as I was thinking of importing the Superbit when I had the spare cash. Considering the $40 price tag, and all the titles coming out that I want, it was gonna be a while...thank goodness I didn't.

Columbia is well on their way to becoming the most hated studio of them all, possibly even more than Artisan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks