What's new

Directors MORE DIRECTORS CHECKLIST SERIES - Volume #239 - The Films Of ROBERT BRESSON (2 Viewers)

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Seen: 5
Own: 2

(stars out of four)
Lancelot du Lac (1974) ***
Mouchette (1967) **
Au hasard Balthazar (1966) ****
Pickpocket (1959) ***
Diary of a Country Priest (1951) ****
Dames du Bois de Boulogne, Les (1945) **

My favorite is Diary, followed by Balthazar. I've read his book, Notes on the Cinematographer, which was by turns puzzling and wonderful.

I'd rank Bresson among the highest tier of film artists. In fact, the only fault I ever find with him is that he sometimes tries too hard, especially in his later work, creating works that are brilliant but mechanical. I guess you could say they are limited by their own intellectualism.

Robert Bresson

Argent, L' (1983) (owned)
Lancelot du Lac (1974) (owned)
Mouchette (1967)
Au hasard Balthazar (1966) (owned)
Pickpocket (1959) +++
A Man Escaped (1956) +++
Diary of a Country Priest (1951) ++++
Dames du Bois de Boulogne, Les (1945)

Added this whole post; blind-bought about six Bresson films at once, because of how many good things I'd heard about him. Ratings are based on my personal reaction to the films, not their inherent quality. I feel my ratings will go up with increased viewings, but generally I liked looking at the character's face in "Country Priest" more than in Pickpocket and A Man Escaped; and since looking at the character's face is the main thing you do in a Bresson film, I enjoyed "Priest" more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks