What's new

More Classic Warners Releases... (1 Viewer)

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I too am excited about PATCH OF BLUE coming to DVD and yes it is absolutely one of Jerry Goldsmith's best scores!

David

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
DVD File Said:
Also in February comes the next in Warner's new line of two-disc special editions, Otto Preminger's classic The Cardinal on the 25th. This one features both 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen and full screen transfers and an English 2.0 Dolby surround track on the first disc,
It is highly unlikely that they will be providing a full screen transfer on the same disc as a widescreen transfer for this nearly 3-Hour film.

Regards,

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
You know what's sad, everyone has missed the HUGE significance of dvdfiles announcement. Everyone of the releases that were shot in widescreen are coming to dvd with new anamorphic widescreen transfers. I read the articled yesterday and carefully went over it. Not once did I see pan and scan mentioned, but I did see quite often new anamorphic widescreen transfer. You have no idea how thrilled I was to see that Dennis the Menace (with a young Mason Gamble) will be in OAR, thank god this isn't a buena vista movie showcase release as it would be barebones and probably a recycled vhs pan and scan transfer to boot (After all OAR isn't important because it's a family film and a small film, so noone bothers to make a stink). Also notice that WB gave aspect ratio info on all these titles, when BV came out with their catalog releases through february in the last couple weeks we get the omnipresent "more news on these titles coming" from dvdfile--which means that dvdfile will never mention any information (and disney will never release any tech info) on any of these titles again until they dine to review two of the thirty or so titles coming out. In the past couple weeks we've had announcements from several studios about early winter catalog slates, and from some like MGM we see lots of pan and scan or 'fullframe' for many recent titles, especially family titles, and others like BV just don't release AR info so they can avoid complaints. It's so nice that WB is going the widescreen rout, and typical of HTF form everyone takes if for granted and makes absolutely no mention of it. So much for rabid OAR support--I think we just like to complain and never complement.
I mean come on, doesn't the following quotes from dvdfile's post make everyone feel happy.
All are presented in anamorphic widescreen and 2.0 Dolby surround (except Alice Adams, which is presented in its original 1.33:1 aspect ratio and mono),
All feature anamorphic widescreen transfers and 2.0 Dolby surround tracks
In a bit of a departure from many past Warner Family Entertainment titles, all will be presented in anamorphic widescreen transfers,
Each is presented in their original 1.37:1 full screen aspect ratios (except A Patch of Blue, which is in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen)
This one features both 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen
How rare is it these days that we get to see something like that in a press release/announcment of catalog titles.
the only thing I'm concerned about are the following:
Warner will also released an additional slew of family titles on the 28th: Snow Queens and the Wild Swans, Merlin and the Dragons, Noah's Ark, Pegasus and Beauty and the Beast, Real Wheels: Travel Adventures, and two Sagawa adventures, Cat Tales and Celebrations and Storybook World. All are presented in 4:3 full frame and retail for $14.95 each.
However I'm reasonable sure all the above are made for TV, please correct me if I'm wrong
I say that we should start a petition, or thank you note to WB for their support of OAR We need to let them know that we appreciate and really want this sort of release pattern, and not what MGM and BV have been doing.
Three Cheers for WB!!
:D
Adam

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
how about the Wrner owned Turner classics of movies like Where Eagles dare and Ryans Daughter?
Both seem to be coming soon.

Ryan's Daughter was recently remastered by PacTitle from the 65mm negative.

Where Eagles Dare has been rumored for a while, but it'll come from MGM. (It seems to be a United Artists title.)

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Warner Bros are releasing "A LITTLE ROMANCE" starring Diane Lane (Unfaithful, Perfect Storm) and Sir Laurance Olivier (Sleuth, Marathon Man) on DVD.

This award winning 1979 film has appeared on many peoples top romantic movies of all time. It was a big boxoffice hit in 1979 and won several awards including some Academy Awards. The film is also notable as the big screen debut of 12 year-old Diane Lane recently seen in "Unfaithful", "Hardball" and "The Perfect Storm".

According to Warner they were hopeful of getting Ms Lane and director George Roy Hill (The Sting, Butch Cassidy...) involved in the DVD, but both were busy filming and declined.

The DVD will be anamorphic widescreen, Dolby Digtal 2.0 stereo, with trailers and maybe filmographies for the director and stars.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Where Eagles Dare has been rumored for a while, but it'll come from MGM. (It seems to be a United Artists title.)
I've been reading debates here about who owns this title for a while. Does anyone really truly know who is going to release it?? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
I think WB owns this. I think the confusion stems from the fact that MGM was in financial problems at the time, and had to shut down their distribution unit...who distributed their films during this time? None other than United Artists.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Let theories and hypotheses not become gospel.

I have it on good authority from an Eastwood associate that Warner Bros. will definitely release WHERE EAGLES DARE as a beautiful new DVD at some point next year along with many other yet-to-be-released-on-DVD Clint Eastwood films.

FYI-United Artists took over MGM's theatrical and television distribution in the U.S. in 1973. Several years after the release of WHERE EAGLES DARE.

Jae E

Agent
Where Eagles Dare will come from Warner Bros. It was never a UA title. Warners are also working on the 1961 epic King of Kings.
According to the Digital Bits, King of Kings is being released by Warner on 2/25/03. I haven't seen this anywhere else, but I hope it's true.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Thanks very much for the world cinema releases, Warner, but please, oh, please can we have The James Cagney Collection in 2003?!

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Um, not to bring this up again, but...

Who Owns The Rights To "The Hunger"?

Some people say MGM...Others say Warner. I'm leaning towards Warner being as I saw Turner markings on MGM/UA VHS releases of this movie.

Anybody have a definitive answer?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

While we're discussing rights, how come neither Turner nor MGM has laid rights to "Inchon"?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks