What's new

More BACK TO THE FUTURE Difficulties (1 Viewer)

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
I'm not surprised that no one has mentioned this as yet, as there is a myriad amount of special features on the discs, but there appears to also be a problem with the anecdotal subtitle track that appears throughout the films..specifically on discs 2 and 3. I noticed that several times throughout the track, the animation would come on as if to indicate a comment... there would be a pause.. and what appears to be displayed is the second part of a comment. I was left scratching my head wondering what could possibly have been the first part on several occasions. I would say that as much as 50% of the subs have this difficulty. Hate to add to the list, but....

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I had this problem on my Pioneer DV-414 but not on my Sony DVP-S3000. And keep in mind that the DVD's mention there may be a compatibility issue.

Neil

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
I've had this same problem on my Malata N-996. I have yet to try the DVDs on another player though.

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
On my Cyberhome CH-DV 500, no portion of the anecdotal subs are missing during play. On one viewing of the BTTF 1, a portion of the text on the right hand side of the screen was the wrong color during half of the sub displays (usually the second half of a comment and the animations). Turning on the normal English subs then returning to the anecdotes fixed that problem. Also, the animations of the Delorean in BTTF 3 creates lines which almost cover the entire screen. They do give a warning that some players will struggle with these subs, so Universal knew that there was a compatibility issue. It is too bad that they couldn't keep it simple like on the Star Trek Special/Director's Editions and the Doctor Who DVDs.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The Pioneer DV-414 has 2 BIOS versions which are substantially different. If you bought your player after March 1999 you probaly have v.2

I did have some trouble with subs (I have v.2), but the main trouble is that I can't access the Zemeckis/Gale Q&A on BTTF

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I noticed this missing subtitle thing on my Pioneer dv525 - but could it be that the subs are simply following on from a comment that a character has spoken on-screen? Dumb, I know, but that's what I thought at first. But after looking on here, I'm not so sure.

Maybe if you turn the trivia subs on during playback (which you can do on Parts 2 and 3 - but not on Part 1) it messes them up. I've yet to watch 2&3 with the trivia track chosen from the extras menu. I think I'll try that, as it'll give me an excuse to watch these movies again. BTW, I'm still waiting to find out if my R1 supplier will swap the discs when the time comes. Fingers crossed!

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Got the set for Christmas.

I tried watching with the animated subs, and it actually locked up my JVC system on the first appearance of the animations. Grrrr. (I'm not sure of the model... I'm at work...heh)

First time I've had a problem with anything like this. Figures. No problems with the "fact-tracks" on the Star Trek flicks, or on Spiderman. *sigh*

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
Well...to clarify.. its a Pioneer Dv-503. Its weird that it would have no issue with the first.. just the second and third. I was going to attempt to test with the secondary low end player that I have , but I havent got around to it. Oh well...something to do this weekend..

A.T.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Isn't it ironic that JVC players are having a problem with "Back to the Future" when Marty uses Doc's JVC camcorder throughout the film? To actually add some content to this post, I'll say that I've had no problems with the first disc on my Panasonic RP-56 and I've watched everything but the Gale/Canton commentary and the commentary on the deleted scenes. I haven't watched all the stuff on 2&3 because I don't feel like exploring them entirely until I get the corrected versions.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Hmm... I'll have to have a look at that. Haven't tried my Ghostbusters disk since getting my new JVC system... I'll have a go at it and see if it works...

*crossing my fingers*

Gary Mui

Agent
When I goto the bonus materials, then press OK on the Q&A with Zemekis, I get booted back to the main screen. The other features on that page work fine when I press OK on them.

Anyone else notice this?

FYI, I've got a Panny RP82, Thanks.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Mine does that too. However, if you hit play on the menu, it should play the Q&A. It works on mine. BTW, it is a great Q&A, very interesting facts.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Gary, that is what it is supposed to do. The Q&A is essentially a commentary track, so selecting it is just turning it on, then it takes you to the menu to start the movie or select a scene.

Chris

Steven Wesley

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Maybe if you turn the trivia subs on during playback (which you can do on Parts 2 and 3 - but not on Part 1) it messes them up.
I thought it was just me who had a problem with this...

To clairify, I can't seem to turn subtitles on/off or change audio tracks while the movie is playing for Part 1, but can for Parts 2 and 3. Weird. Anyone else see this?

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Hmmm... the Ghostbusters features all work fine. Still have to try part II and III though.
Well... if I can't view the anecdotes on my system... I guess I'll hafta tell my wife I need a DVD-ROM drive. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks