What's new

More 50s and 60s Shows Coming From Shout! (2 Viewers)

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Any idea when the announcement's coming? Or 'announcements' ?

The suspense is truly exasperating -- although if some of the speculation is true i'm going to have to save my sheckels...

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Well, I will definitely purchase Dennis the Menace if shout releases it. I am not too sure about Hazel though. I have never seen that show.

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stuart Fanning
I wish they would finish what they start. As well as Peyton Place we are waiting for further Paper Chase!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Gary OS

Ah, so that was you who posted that interesting comment on the Shout board. Good show, Joe. I can't come to any other conclusion than the one you've mentioned: Dennis and Hazel have to be the two top bets at this point. And I'm in for both if they are released!!!

Gary "Shout (and Timeless) have really hit some home runs this year - and I look for both to do more of the same next year as well" O.

Same here, I'd get both of these if Shout gets them out there. I've held off on buying Hazel S1. I hope Shout will get a complete season set of that one as well as "Dennis...".

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Originally Posted by Theodore J. Mooney

Well, I will definitely purchase Dennis the Menace if shout releases it. I am not too sure about Hazel though. I have never seen that show.

Mr. Mooney, you would probably like "Hazel." After all, it's the story of a middle-aged redheaded woman who drives her boss crazy (sound familiar?)

Like "The Lucy Show," "Hazel"'s first season was B&W, and all the rest in color. (Unlike "The Lucy Show," Seasons 2 & 3 were not just filmed in color, but actually shown that way on the network, originally.)

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Originally Posted by Jack Cleveland And could we hope for "Here Come the Brides" Season 2? That would make for a very merry Christmas!

Jack, thanks for remembering BRIDES! I was just about to post that wish list wonder myself when I saw you beat me to it. Right now the series is running weekly in Chicago and is supposed to be part of the ANTENNA TV package this winter, so at least there should be an alternate way to finally see Season 2 and complete the series after all these years.

I can finally thumb my nose at a jerk or two who had this elusive season recorded from syndication in their private collections and hoarded it as if it were Richard Kimble's GET OUT OF JAIL FREE card. Ah, if only every collector and passionate devotee of all things vintage TV could be as magnanimous as Gary O and Jeff Willis and a few others who post here, all gentlemen, ladies and scholars. I'll never figure out those who can't fathom how much joy can be derived from sharing this wonderful hobby, but I digress....

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I don't believe there is any confirmation of season 5 yet (Season 4 just came out)?

If there is, then that means there's just 13 episodes left afterwards. So I think it's a near certainty that it would be finished.

Originally Posted by Gary OS

4) Mister Ed. Not anything I'm interested at this point (they are now up to S5), but I could see it continuing.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

Dear Jeff:

I envy you. My nephews would scoff at me, if I asked them to watch anything before the creation of "South Park." I can't stand to look at that.

These kids today. They have no apprecation of history, back when we only had three channels, no VCR's, and once a show was over, there was a chance we would never see it again.

James

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Well, I was the same way when I was a kid. If it happened before I was born, I had zero interest in it.

In my late 20's (which would be the late 1970's), I realized I didn't like current entertainment very much, so I decided to investigate the stuff that happened before I was born.

And, as we say on the Internet, OMG. I totally changed my old way of thinking and grew to love the movies, music, etc. I had previously disdained.

I don't take seriously what kids say because, to put it bluntly, they don't know any better. Some of them will grow up and learn to appreciate the great things that happened in the past.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff

Well, I was the same way when I was a kid. If it happened before I was born, I had zero interest in it.

In my late 20's (which would be the late 1970's), I realized I didn't like current entertainment very much, so I decided to investigate the stuff that happened before I was born.

And, as we say on the Internet, OMG. I totally changed my old way of thinking and grew to love the movies, music, etc. I had previously disdained.

I don't take seriously what kids say because, to put it bluntly, they don't know any better. Some of them will grow up and learn to appreciate the great things that happened in the past.

Same here! I scoffed at the stuff that came on before I was born as well. Once, while on Vacation in the early 1970s, a TV Station had on one of those old "Buster Crabbe" Flash Gordon Serials, and I actually had a HOWLING Laugh over the "Hokey" Special Effects it had (Which, in the 1930s were certainly "State of the Art" for that time). A Few Years later, along came Star Wars and after seeing a Special on TV about that Movie, I saw the Serials in a New Light. Today, Things have gone full circle! I laugh at what Hollywood passes off as "Entertainment". The Special Effects on a lot of shows may be top-Notch, but without decent acting, you haven't got too much worth watching.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm kind of the odd man out. While I watched a fair number of then-current shows and movies as a kid, I did watch some older stuff, too. As I became an adolescent I grew more and more disillusioned with the state of popular culture, which hasn't changed as an adult. I thought no one was interested in the same stuff I was. But lately I have found more and more people in my age group (mid-late 20s) who know about and enjoy stuff from the non-recent past. Unfortunately, none of them work for studios.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'm only 27 and my interest in television, movies, and music has always gravitated towards material that was created years before I was born.

I can name more songs by the Supremes then I can anything done since 1970, for example. :)

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Having been born in '65, I grew up on classic shows of the 50s and 60s on endless reruns. I am proud to say that I was one of the fortunate ones who watched The Brady Bunch during its network run. Every Friday the family had to go food shopping and I constantly hoping we'd get home by 8:00 PM to catch the Bradys' latest antics. It's kind of sad that there are so many vintage shows that have yet to see the light of day on video. Two prime examples are the original The Defenders and December Bride, two CBS shows that had good runs and were quite popular back in the day. Yet I have never seen an episode of either show! CBS/Paramount owns the video rights and nothing has happened on the DVD front regarding either show. I've always said what cable needs is a premium classic TV channel, to do for vintage series what TCM does for classic films.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I have never seen "The Defenders" either but based on what I have read about the show and from what I've seen of similar shows from the same producer (like the short-lived "For The People" starring William Shatner in 1965) I'm not surprised that it never found a meaningful syndication afterlife which IMO is the reason why no one's clamoring for it now. Shows that try to be "cutting edge" in how they address societal issues in one decade are simply not going to play well a decade later in contrast to a "Perry Mason" which just tried to be entertaining week after week and thus could still be enjoyed easily in syndication.

Mary_P

Second Unit
OMG, am I glad I read this thread! I had no idea "Here Come the Brides" was running in Chicago -- time to go home and set the DVR! I'd rather have commercially released discs, but since Sony doesn't seem inclined to oblige me....

Brett*H

Stunt Coordinator
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesSmith

These kids today. They have no apprecation of history, back when we only had three channels, no VCR's, and once a show was over, there was a chance we would never see it again.

...in addition, we sometimes had to actually get up out of our seat to (gasp!) change the channels manually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Ellis I've always said what cable needs is a premium classic TV channel, to do for vintage series what TCM does for classic films.

My friend and I were just discussing this idea a few months ago. I am all for this.

TCT (Turner Classic Television) has a nice ring to it!

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Antenna TV, starting Jan. 1, will be a kind of Classic TV Channel, although with commercials. It will have access to most of the Sony shows. It would really be nice if each company that has the rights to several old series would have a channel of its own, and the way things are going with digital subchannels, maybe that will happen.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff

Antenna TV, starting Jan. 1, will be a kind of Classic TV Channel, although with commercials. It will have access to most of the Sony shows. It would really be nice if each company that has the rights to several old series would have a channel of its own, and the way things are going with digital subchannels, maybe that will happen.

Already is sort of happening that way.

Antenna TV looks to be Sony, RTV is Universal, MeTV and MeToo is full of Paramount stuff, This TV has some of the old MGM stuff...

The only company not to join the party yet seems to be WB.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
You're right, come to think of it!

Well, there we go. As for Warner Bros., I think they're thinking along the line of DVDs on demand for their old TV series, but I wouldn't be surprised if they come up with one of these digital subchannels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks