What's new

Mordaunt-Short loudspeakers? (1 Viewer)

Hi. ;)
Yesterday I´ve visited the Marantz web page, and I saw a promote about Mordaunt-Short spkrs.
Does anybody know how do they sound?
img_ms_spkr_500group_med.gif

They look pretty good. :cool: :emoji_thumbsup:

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Very nice mid- to upper mid-level speakers. Gold plated bi-wirable binding posts, nice faux-wood finish, unique driver appearace (the black speakers look stunning with the grilles off).

IMO the MS-906 towers sound better than the Paradigm Ref 60, and cost less to boot. I heard them hooked up to a high-end separates package (Anthem, I think) and the delivery was amazing - smooth mids, clear highs and tons of distortion-free bass. Then I bought the 906s and hooked them up to my low-end Yamaha RX-V390 and was disappointed with the lack of bass (but this is to be expected, and would happen with any decent speaker with low-end amplification). Testing them out on a Marantz SR6200 and Onkyo 797 brought them back to life!

I've heard mixed reviews on the smaller 904 tower.

The 902 bookshelfs are fantastic, but due to the rear porting you can't put them in a "bookshelf."

This entire line has metal dome tweeters, which IMO makes them sound best with warm to neutral amps.

Thanks Chris.:emoji_thumbsup:
I´ve a Marantz SR7000 since 2000 (IMO its superb), but few days ago I bought a Rotel RB991 from a friend; so I decided to change my mains (cheap Yamaha towers) from one of these models: AR7, JMLab Chorus 725, B&W 603 S3,now I´m gonna give a chance to the Mordaunt Short 502 or 908.
Next week I´ll tell you wich model I chose.
:D
Cya.:cool:

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Andres,

908's are "allegedly" better for music compared to the 502s, and cheaper too (but I have no first hand experience with this). If you have a chance to compare them side by side, go for it.

For the centre channel, it is another matter. I compared the 905C with the THX 504, and I thought the THX model was better for voices. It was very close, but the 504 sounded slightly more natural. I find that my non-THX 906 mains blend well with the 504 when sounds pan across the front, so no worries there for the 908 either, I would imagine.

Also, on the North American Marantz web site under Press Releases, they have announced new compact dipoles, if you think the THX dipoles are too large and expensive (as I do). I have the 902s as rears for now, but I might get those new dipoles (MS-903?).

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
I can add nothing as far as information goes, but certainly conclude from the posted photos---->
Definitly Eye Candy with their looks, and yes I would assume also that the BLACK CABINIT would be stunning with the offset in their SILVER face and driver color...A real looker one might say...
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Gets a triple yummy from me..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks