What's new

Montoya to NASCAR!!! (1 Viewer)

CharlesD

Screenwriter
No this is not a joke. Formula One driver Juan Pablo Montoya will drive for Chip Ganassi in Nextel Cup next year!!!

SpeedTV news story

If its true that he turned down a seat at Williams, they must be offering him a TON of money. JPM is very skilled and maybe his driving style will suit NASCAR if he can adapt, but F1 and NASCAR are so different he will have a HUGE learning cure (previous oval experience not withstanding).

At least he didn't go to the IRL, that would have been just pathetic for someone like Montoya.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
wtf?

what's next, mario lemieux comes out of retirement, to play professional roller hockey?

that's quite an improbable story here, i wonder how successful he will be.

CJ

CharlesD

Screenwriter

I think he has the potential to be quite successful in NASCAR, but it is so different from what he is used to he could easily be a complete disaster. If he does adapt, it will be a very smart move as he could be in NASCAR for another 10+ years. Even if he had lived up to expectations in F1 he would only have another 5 or so years left in his career there anyway. As it is he had few options for next season. His driving skills are beyond question but the series of mistakes and reckless moves this season seem to have sealed his fate.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Now the rumor is Danica Patrick may move to NASCAR next year too. That I'd like to see.

JamesED

Second Unit
Indystar is already reporting that her father recanted. He's the one that wants her there. Danica wants to stay in the IRL and win the 500. I don't think she wants to race 38 times a year in a field of 43 either.

Someone mentioned they heard on an AM station in Indy, that Danica signed with Andretti-Green. I doubt it's true, because I have yet to hear it anywhere else. Though, I would like to see her sign with a more competitive team, or for Rahal-Letterman to do better next year.

I'm a little sad to see Montoya switch to NASCAR. I enjoyed watching him with Mclaren Mercedes in F1.

I hope this puts some urgency on getting a full open wheel merger for the 2008 schedule.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
That's too bad. I would have liked to see Patrick move to NASCAR.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Even if he is successful, it will be a one year stint. If he gets a top seat after the next season it doesn't even matter if he won NASCAR, he'll be back in F1. Good move, no it isn't, most likely just something he wants to do just for the heck of it. As for the money, I doubt it was that good, NASCAR isn't big enough to pay F1 kind of money. As for life after F1, he still could get a ride after his F1 career is over, if he wants to.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Montoya has had a pretty miserable time in F1 of late, culminating in a series of crashes/breakdowns. I'm not totally surprised at the change. However, I wish him well. Montoya, unlike a lot of the other drivers, doesn't come from a moneyed background, and has had to work hard. Plus, he is one of the more exciting drivers on the circuit.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Well, most of the talented drivers do not come from rich background. Those who buy their way are mostly second rate drivers at best. I can't think of anyone talented besides the late Senna who had lots of money before F1.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I don't know about Montoys going back to F1. I've always liked him and been impressed with his driving skills, but he's earned a reputation for making mistakes which is why he had so few options for next season. There are so many talented young drivers lining up for a F1 seat that it is hard to justify giving even someone with Montoya's skills a second chance.

This is how the F1 paddock sees Montoya: Montoys vs Truli, Spa 2004

even if many fans see him as this:

Montoya vs Schumacher, Spa 2004

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks