What's new

Monsters Inc DVD (technical issues merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Orin Dym

Stunt Coordinator
I was using a Philips Q50 and it refused to play the disk. Insert disk, disk spins up, disk ejects. Plays fine on the X-Box. Got a Denon 900 and it plays just fine. Until Monsters Inc., I never had a disk not play on the Philips.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Curious, Ray Chuang. I use Sigma Designs' REALmagic Hollywood Plus and a 4X drive (my 16X Sony is at the shop either getting repaired or replaced; the 16X was freezing indefinitely on all of my discs at some point). I'll try powerdvd just before the layer change and see if I notice a difference.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Okay, gonna go back tonight and give this the full tryout at that time index on all three players in the house (Panasonic A120 and two version of the Mintek low-end versions, the plain one and the one with Karaoke), and also on the PC using three different software packages. I'll report what I see on all three. Okay?

Shane Bass

Grip
Hey Guys! Same problem on the Pioneer 414. Picture pauses and takes a couple of seconds to start again. Also noticed another problem. At the beginning of the movie, there is a lot of "shimmering" or vibrations in the picture. The most blatent example is where it shows the guitar in the demo room at the very beginning. There is a lot of vibrations on the guitar strings. Also during the movie there is a lot of vibrations around Sully. Don't know if this a a disc problem or a problem with my setup. No problems like this on any other movies, even Toy Story. Thanks for any help!:)

William DAnnucci

Stunt Coordinator
What a shame. I was really looking forward to this title, but as I own a Pioneer DV-414...
NO SALE BVHE! :thumbsdown:
But I will keep an eye peeled here for reports of some sort of revised edition.
(Thanks for the warnings, everyone.)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Isn't "THX Certified" supposed to mean something?
THX has been meaningless for YEARS as a "guarantee" of quality. It's been a joke for a long time. It's nothing more than a marketing label.

And it's ridiculous to place sole blame on Disney for the problems while trying to give THX sole credit for the positives. Half assed quality assurance is NO quality assurance.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
Great. Picked this up last night but won't get a chance to view until Friday as its a birthday gift. My trusty Pioneer 525 is game, but is Disney? :frowning:

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
There's a momentary pause between the end of chapter 30 and the start of 31 on the wide-screen version of my disc. (I have Zenith progressive-scan player.) No such pause in the full-screen version. IMO, it's no big deal, certainly not enough to warrant "no sale."

Adam_R

Second Unit
I have a feeling that Disc 1 is not even a dual layered disc. Go ahead and look at the bottom of Disc 2, or any other dual layer disc you have and compare it to the color of disc 1 for MI. Dual layer discs have a darker appearance. I think that there is just a problem with the disc. Some players handle it better than others. I watched the movie using my PS2 last night and there was a very noticable "jump" in the video, but no pause. Every layer change I've ever seen has a pause. My opinion is that it's not a layer change at all, but a manufacturing defect.

BrandonG

Agent
I have a pany A110(or maybe A120) and as soon as ch 30 starts, the video gets all pixelated and the audio drops out. This continues until the credits start and all is normal. I tried it on a Daewoo cheapy model and no problems what so ever. Also my Powerbook G4 plays it flawlessly.

I will call BVHE and see what they can do.

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
I have a Pioneer DVL-919 and freeze up occurs at 84:01. Called BVHE and was on hold for half hour. Reported problem to a representative (who had my info on file since the Atlantis problem) and after she took down the info, she asked me to hold on for a technical person who wanted to ask me a few questions. I get put back on hold for another 5 minutes, only to be told by the rep that all techies were jammed and they would have to call me back. Sounds like a busy day for Disney.

I tried to play it on my PS2 and it didn't freeze, but a very rough layer change.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I just took a quick look last night at some scenes on disc 1 and some of the content on disc 2. The only problem I noticed then was disc 2 took some time to load. Strangely, when I tried disc 2 again later, it loaded in a normal amount of time.

After reading about this problem, I'm going to check out the particular chapter refered to here to see if I have a problem on my Toshiba SD6200 or my Pioneer DV414.

I'll report what happened tomorrow.

JimmyK

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
only problem I noticed then was disc 2 took some time to load.
At least yours loaded. Mine spun for a while and then put a "Check Disc" up on the blue screen along with some hex code. Whether it's just a bad disc or my ancient first-gen Toshiba SD-2006, I don't know.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't know if this qualified as a "technical issue", but did anyone else notice that this disc seemed very quiet? (including the trailiers) I'm guessing it was mastered this way. I normally get plenty of sound at -20, but with MI, I had to turn it up quite a bit for the trailers (near Ref cal of -8), and the movie was around -15 for my "normal" sound level.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Layer change? What layer change? Man, I love my HTPC. :P
Disc played flawlessly for me, aside from anemic bass in THX intro. Haven't looked at disc 2 yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks