What's new

Monsters Inc DVD (technical issues merged thread) (1 Viewer)

David Stone

Stunt Coordinator
:D NEWS FLASH!!:D
A Pioneer rep called and left a message on my voice mail today. The message advised me that the Pioneer technicians have finished researching my reported problem with the Monsters Inc DVD locking up, including testing the disc on their players as well as players by other manufacturers. The message went on to advise me that their technicians have concluded that the problem is with the disc, not the player.
I'll be calling Buena Vista tomorrow with this news from Pioneer.
Funny, I never heard back from Buena Vista. The disneydvd.com/support page still doesn't list Monsters Inc in the Title Specific Info either. Has anyone heard back from Buena Vista about the lockup problem?

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I never heard back from Toshiba, but Buena Vista/Disney say that it is a player problem? Clearly there is a compatibility issue somewhere between the DVD encoding and the player trying to play it. Who is to blame???

David Stone

Stunt Coordinator
I called Buena Vista today to advise them that the Pioneer Techs told me they determined it was a problem with the disc.

The customer service rep transferred me directly to a Beuna Vista tech who advised me that (1) they are still working with Pioneer to resolve the problem, (2) resolving the problem is their (Buena Vista's) #1 priority and (3) he confirmed that I was on file and would be notified as soon as the problem is resolved.

Overall, not really bad news. It seems to have escalated beyond the "it's a problem with some players" excuse and the "press chapter advance to finish watching the movie" solution. Also, I was somewhat impressed that they still had my original complaint on file, along with my contact info.

I can understand that Buena Vista doesn't want to do a massive recall or replacement disc program unless it's absolutely necessary, but I do wish that they would hurry up and realize that it is necessary.

BillM

Auditioning
The message went on to advise me that their technicians have concluded that the problem is with the disc, not the player.
:Yea like they are going to say "It was totally our fault, we used a cheap chip on the main board causing complex programming code to misread return flags"
Sorry, but I have to be a little skeptical here. I think the problems are pretty evenly divided between Disney and Pioneer and Toshiba. We tend to forget we are dealing with computer chips and programming - think bugs!!!!
:D
WM

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Anyone else experience a complete lock-up when selecting "Monster Song" form the Music & Sound submenu on Disc 2? I get a green screen and my faithful Toshiba player is completely unresponsive to the remote and unit controls. I had to unplug the player. I repeated this three times in a row to see if was some fluke.
Yup, only I gave up after two tries on my girlfriends Mitsubishi DD 8020.

The movie on disc one played fine but the layer change was rather clunky and could have been placed at a less obtrusive moment.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I'm gonna have to call their 800 number- I'm STILL not buying any more titles from them til I get a disc that plays to the end on my player!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
And my player is still acting all wiggy since I inserted this disc and it didn't want to read. Since then, about 2/3 of all discs I put in don't read properly.
I can't come up with any possible way just trying to read this disc would have damaged my player, but the fact remains I had not one spot of trouble pre-MI, yet I have all sorts of problems post-MI. :angry:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don't think there's been any acknowledgement by Disney that there's anything wrong with the current disc.

I'd say we're out of luck.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I got a replacement disc from them a few months ago but it still freezes at the same spot- I still have to mail it back to them. There's been a few big Di$ney titles that I haven't bought because of this!!

James Corey

Stunt Coordinator
No problem accessing "The Monster Song" using my Tosh SD-5109, and the segue between chapt 30 and 31 is fairly smooth, just a momentary freeze.... I've seen worse....fwiw.

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
James,

The problem I'm concerned with is the layer change right at the end of the widescreen version (at Boo's door). My Pioneer player dies there every time.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Why include this "Sound Effects Only" track in the first place, if it's included in the regular DD 5.1 track. Who wants to watch the movie listening to only the sound effects.
Anyone interested in sound design, which many animation fans are.
The isolated sound/music tracks are gifts from heaven to fan parody artists who believe that new and interesting dialogue can be a fun addition :)

James Corey

Stunt Coordinator
Andrea - My copy appears to play thru this section without the glitch, but mind you, I have the Canadian wide-screen only version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks