What's new

Monsters (80s/90's syndicated horror anthology series) (1 Viewer)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
We've now got the whole of Friday the 13th: The Series and Tales from the Darkside on Region 1 DVD (released by CBS Home Entertainment). What are the chances of Monsters, another syndicated horror anthology series, being released on DVD? It ran for three seasons from 1988 to 1991.

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
Count me in for MONSTERS. There can never be enough good horror TV on DVD. Still waiting for Twilight Zone Season 3 - and how about the old Circle Of Fear/Ghost Story episodes?

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Monsters shared one characteristic with Tales from the Darkside. I either loved the show or hated it. There was no in-between. Certainly would be interested.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I remember avoiding Monsters since it looked like a kid's show to me and I was too busy going to school and working. I'm real sorry I missed it. I'm ready to slap down my money now on that one.

Tales from the Darkside was a favorite as a kid. With the exception of the one about the trick or treaters (which is excellent) the rest seem to have aged. I'm not watching those as often as I thought I would. Hoping to get out of Season 1 and then it improves greatly.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
This is a good example of a show (horror anthology) which you either love or hate. I fall on the former. And it would be nice if other horror anthology shows could be released on DVD like Monsters.

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Joe Kelly

Count me in for MONSTERS. There can never be enough good horror TV on DVD. Still waiting for Twilight Zone Season 3 - and how about the old Circle Of Fear/Ghost Story episodes?

Count me in on both Monsters and Circle of Fear/Ghost Story. To me, those are really the last two memorable horror anthologies that have yet to get a DVD release, and I think they were both great. I would be on board for every season released of each.

In general, I've been very pleased with how much of the good stuff in that sub-genre has made it out to DVD so far, culminating with the release of Thriller this past year. My only disappointment has been the stalling of Night Gallery after season two, which is a real shame considering it's so close to completion.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Yeah, Night Gallery. I've avoided that since it stopped at S2. Seems odd that they don't just put out a complete series set on that one with the film as an extra. I'd buy that right away if the price wasn't off the wall. But it's been 2 years since S2?

Btw, I wish someone would take another crack at Ray Bradbury Theater. The current release is horrible. Double the discs used and it would fix the problem I'm sure.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by RoyM

Count me in on both Monsters and Circle of Fear/Ghost Story. To me, those are really the last two memorable horror anthologies that have yet to get a DVD release, and I think they were both great. I would be on board for every season released of each.

Checked on EpGuides.com and it says the pilot of Circle of Fear, "The New House", was part of the TV movie Double Play. Was "The New House" feature length? And the pilot aside, there are 22 episodes, so I would assume if the series was released on DVD it would be a 6-disc set (including the pilot). It says on the episode guide website that Circle of Fear was shown on NBC, so I'm guessing Universal would release it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks