"Monster" vs. "Aileen": which to watch first?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by EricSchulz, Jul 15, 2004.

1. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I just got both Monster and Aileen: Portrait of a Killer and was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to which to watch first. When I rented Party Monster I watched The Shockumentary version first (which I loved). When I watched the movie version, I was quite disappointed, despite the storyline covering alot of the same ground and having heard so many positive reviews of the film. Any thoughts on this?

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I saw Monster first and recommend that order, which also has the advantage of chronology. In the documentary, you see Wuornos years after the events depicted in Monster.

M.

3. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

I'd say MONSTER first. Once you see AILEEN, MONSTER will lose all impact. I can't imagine watching it after.

As good a job as Theron does, she is no match for the real thing, who is even scarier. The final interview she gives to Nick Broomfield in the documentary is one of the scariest moments you are ever likely to see.

MONSTER was somewhat overrated as a film. Theron is good, but the film isn't anything special, especially if you followed the case at all.

4. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Thanks guys...I sorta thought that would be the way to go, especially after my experience with Party Monster. So it's Monster tonight!

5. Zack_H

Zack_H Extra

You already made your decision, but ill still chime in. I agree with the 2 guys above, Monster first. Aileen is a great follow up [​IMG]

6. Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger Supporting Actor

If you really want the full effect, the proper order is:

Monster

Aileen Wuornos: The Selling Of A Serial Killer - The 1992 Interviews (1992)

Aileen: Life And Death Of A Serial Killer (2003)

That will give you the full effect... Some of Aileen: Life and Death refers to things in the Aileen: Selling of

Dugger

7. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Is this available on DVD?