What's new

Monster Power Cords (1 Viewer)

Dave Nelms

Stunt Coordinator
While stroling through the local Good Guys I saw that Monster now has upgraded power cords for sale. I know that monster does tend to be a little expensive but they seem to produce a consistant product.

I was thinking about picking one up for my subwoofer but before I do I was hoping to get a little more info.

Has anyone heard or seen any info on these? Does anyone know how they stack up against competing brands of power cord upgrades? Power cords are not usually something you can find while strolling through the big chain stores so I was very interested in monsters move into this area.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If you're into the 'I want to pimp my power cords', why not look into making your own? There was a thread a while back in the DIY area posted by someone whose name was Felix something or other. He had pics and comments on how he made them. As I recall, they looked kind of sharp.

Dave Nelms

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Chu-

I was hoping to find an easy upgrade when I saw those cords.

Making my own is an interesting option.

But have you heard anything about these cords, good or bad?

Dave

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Honestly Dave, they're just power cords. So long as they're sized appropriately and shielded, if the orignal cord was, they'd work like your stock ones. No miracles. No blacker blacks, space between instruments, none of that. FWIW, over at the Secrets website, they did a blind test where 4-$2500 Nordost power cords were switched out at one time (yep, that's 10 grand in power cords...and not even UL listed!) to the stock power cords. The listeners were not able to tell the difference.
The link I was looking for is this one.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Seriously, does the Nordost guy (I imagine $5000 cables don't generate enough sales to warrant hiring employees or anything) who re-labels generic cables in his arage sleep on a bed of hundred-dollar bills and crap in a gold toilet or what? :D

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
simply put, try it yourself and see if you hear a difference. just make sure you don't know which cord you're listening to, otherwise you'll be biased.

i'd bet chu's paycheck you won't hear a difference. ;)

Dave Nelms

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Ted-

I like the thought of changing power cords to ones of better buid quality. I know that there are opinions on both sides of this as well.

And having pimped out my cords my not be such a bad thing.:D

RobWil

Supporting Actor
I believe Good Guys has a return policy. It won't cost you to try it. That would be better than taking someone elses word for it who most likely has never tried them and bases their beliefs strictly on existing science and measurements. BTW, I've never tried them before but at least tend to keep an open mind until I have actual experience.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Come on, try a powercord? For what? To see if it fits? Sheesh, have some of this while you're shopping ;)

RobWil

Supporting Actor

Yeah, I guess if it fit that would definitely be a positive.
But I was thinking more along the lines of experimenting himself so he could form his own opinion instead of yours :p)
BTW, how many have you tried?

BTW2, Kool-Aid is for babies.....I drink beer (and form my own opinions) :cool:

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
A few some time back, but really what for? That's like asking how many homeopathic preparations or Lotto Number generators have I tried? It's one thing to want a PC that looks sharp to you and it's another thing to justify its purchase by conning yourself that your system is somehow on another level. Admit to the vanity, buy or make the friggin' thing, and move on to something more interesting.

The Kool-Aid was a Jim Jones reference :D

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Well to tell you the truth I'm a little skeptical too, but now that I have a component with a detachable I'm going to give it a try out of curiousity...especially since I can try a couple for free.
Jim Jones? Sheesh...was I supposed to figure that one out! :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks