What's new

Monster Power any good? (1 Viewer)

Matt Parnell

Agent
In relation to my previous thread about my preamp's noise floor, I'm strongly considering getting a power conditioner. I've heard good/bad about Monster Power, but there's another factor in my case...I am able to buy any in the line for 60% off MSRP, which is a *significant* push towards buying one.
I'm looking at the following three models:
http://www.monstercable.com/power/pr...=1021&mixtype=
http://www.monstercable.com/power/pr...=1317&mixtype=
http://www.monstercable.com/power/pr...=1020&mixtype=
I should add that the top one - the HTS3500 would be available for around $160.
Any thoughts? I want something reliable that will handle a high current 5 channel HK amp in particular. Thanks again guys...

ricky ho

Stunt Coordinator
hey matt
i can't comment on the ones you listed. i use the hts 5100. i have 7 100w/mono-blocks and my sub plugged into the main amp outlet. this outlet is set to switched on after delay. no problems. :emoji_thumbsup:

Dave Dahl

Stunt Coordinator
It seems that with that kind of mark off you must work for a Monster Cable dealer. I would think that you already have enough information to make your decision.

-Dave

Matt Parnell

Agent
Dave,

I don't, but a family member does. I don't have access to any more info than anybody else.

Personally I think most of Monster Cable is overpriced and overrated. If these things turn out to be unreliable, even the discount isn't worth it and I'll go for Panamax or something (though it'd be WAY more expensive).

ling_w

Second Unit
The only worthy one is the HTPS7000, which has balanced power output. Balanced power gets rid of all the buzz, hum and whatever line noise there is without using any of the clamping filters. If you can get that at 60% off, then it would definitely be a steal.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
At that price, I would probably go with the 3500. You might find more info on these in the Tweaks forum. Personally, I am using a Panamax 4300 right now, and while it did reduce my noise floor some, it was not dramatic. I was more interested in protection. It was actually recently put to the test with a major power outage, and everything came through fine.
As was noted in your other post, this may just be a "feature" of that particular H/K, and might not be simple to get rid of.
For a decent price on Panamax - Link Removed

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Matt,
Ling is looking at Monster's new, top-of-the-line HTPS7000 at $1150 which does give BALANCED POWER (that's good) as well as powerful SURGE PROTECTION all in one package. This is a POWER CONDITIONER. But it's a space-hogging bear-- as big and heavy as the larger Rotel amplifiers and 5inches high. And it may have to be special ordered.
For the price, I'd jump at the Monster HTS3500 MKII, rated 1800watt and 2775 Joules. This unit was redesigned last year. This is mainly just a surge protector and power center, not a "power conditioner." Monster says it's equivalent to Panamax MAX5100. I would expect its noise floor operation to be along the lines of John Garcia's experience w/ his Panamax unit, posted above.
Lots to think about...

Matt Parnell

Agent
Bill, is that Monster HTS3500 MKII the same unit as the first one in my links? I don't see any on Monster's site that have the MKII designation.
Only problem with getting the good deal is it takes several weeks for delivery (don't know why?). Hopefully I'll have it before I get back up to my college dorm in late August. The power in those places is awful.
Any other recommendations for a sub-$200 range power conditioner (or whatever I should call it)? I know it's a pitiful budget, but I still have other expenses this summer, including a Paradigm PW-2200 and CC-370 to complete my home theater :D
EDIT - One more question. One of the main things I want to do is eliminate hum from dimmable low voltage track lighting on the same circuit (yes I know it's not ideal, but rewiring the room isn't an option). Will this do that? I get quite a noticable buzz from the toroidal transformer in my amp currently when I have the lights dimmed. Thanks again.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
The power in those places is awful. Any other recommendations for a sub-$200 range power conditioner (or whatever I should call it)?
You've got a priority problem: what's theoretically beneficial for your A/V "in a vacuum" such as the expensive Monster7000 all-in-one-package; or what's practical, using your system in dorm electricity environment. I have no idea how unstable that power delivery may be; I can imagine it's sorta dicey with a whole lot of other dorm residents plugging in powerful amplifiers on shared circuits!
You want a lower noise floor and reduced hiss from amp/prepro combos AND light dimmer switch noise elimination. A mere surge suppressor won't accomplish all this. Power conditioners such as PS Audio and Balanced-Power-Technolgies b-p-t.com take one into the $800 to $1,000 or higher realm. Using one of these, one probably will still need a separate surge protector as well.
There are voltage REGENERATORS, basically isolation transformers, and not cheap. See Richard Grays Power Company and VanEvers. There are voltage REGULATORS for circuits that suffer from current draws that result in brownouts, and occasional surges.
In the latter class, you might consider the Tripp Lite LC1800 HEREan 1800watt unit with surge suppression that provides constant 120V power within an 87-140V circuit fluctuation. Online prices ranges from $240 to $162 at Dell.com (because this is envisioned as a computer backup). It can function in an A/V set-up too. There's a bigger LC 2400 (and rack mount version) for larger current draws, but beware of overloading the wires in the dorm room outlet circuit!
You have to decide which power problem(s) you want to massage the most, given where they will occur: the dorm versus at home.
This still doesn't address the track light problem. Others may have a fix for this.
bill

Dan Cabral

Stunt Coordinator
I have the HTS3500, and while it does make for a convenient way to localize all of the outlets, I didn't notice a significant difference between before I had it hooked up and after, whether it was video or audio.

Of course, I haven't had the best setup hooked up to it so far.

However, it could potentially be something like I had with DSS, where I saw a difference in the picture quality, but nothing jaw dropping. Then, a month later, I went over to my parents house, and their picture (cable) was beyond grainy; very fuzzy, and no detail.

Who knows? I could hook up my equipment when I get the new room setup, and not plug it into the HTS3500 and notice a serious decrease in quality all around. Of course, I may still not notice a difference.

Matt Parnell

Agent
Bill (and others),

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'm not going to get exactly what I want unless I spend $1000+, which I most certainly don't want to. My system is good, but not worth that cost. I've got the Signature 2.1 amp and 2.0 preamp, Toshiba SD-3108 DVD, 27" Panasonic TV, Paradigm Monitor 9's, PW-2200 sub & CC-370 (soon to be bought) and Bose 201's (rears).

The dorm power isn't *that* bad. Usually the worst is Microwaves, and that's really only a voltage drop issue. Most residents have a "home theater" that consists of a 19" TV & a Best Buy shelf system. Not big power draws. My dorm has air conditioning (in window models), so the electrical has been upgraded to support high current draws anyhow. We have up to 3 shared breakers per room.

That Monster HTS3500 for $160 will probably be more than sufficient (considering my price range). As long as it's a quality built unit (which was basically my original question).

What are your thoughts of the APC Line-R 1250 VA? It would boost and cut voltage, much like that Tripp Lite you cited.

Dan Cabral

Stunt Coordinator
Matt> I have to say that the HTS3500 IS solid and sturdy. But essentially, it's a huge power brick, so I can't see that there would be many places where they could skimp and make it flimsy.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
What are your thoughts of the APC Line-R 1250 VA? It would boost and cut voltage, much like that Tripp Lite you cited
Yes, it appears to be a similar, smaller and less costly unit at $120 -- 4 outlets rather than 6, 1250-watt rating rather than 1800-watt. But this wud be the least you cud get by with.

At the amp's (and sub's)top output, if you cud get away with it, you MAY draw as much as 10 amps peak current times 120 voltage equals 1200 watts. No safety zone here.

As you may note, most of these Panamax/Monster mid-level surge suppressors are rated 1800-watt capacity.

Anyway, if dorm power doesn't suffer from sags {"brownouts") then you really dont need a APC or TrippLite voltage regulator. Back to the $160 Monster HTS3500...

Is it "quality built" you ask. Probably too new for much track record; the only online posts I've seen complained about the Monster 2500.

Gifford L

Agent
Since the PS audio units were not that feasible for me and most people wanting to hook up a whole system I turned to balanced power as the next best alternative for power conditioning that is until I saw Link Removed
Which does correct the sagging and clipped waveform coming from the wall all without converting to DC and re-ocillating thus being much smaller and probably much more effecient. I think this has got to be the best reasonable solution out there.

Paul Gere

Second Unit
Counterpoint...
I had the 3500 for about three weeks and found the following in my system: Video signal improved ever so slightly. Soundstage narrowed a bit and overall sound seemed a tad veiled. Maybe my ears were just too conditioned to "before" the 3500 to adjust. Maybe it was just me in my room with my equipment - and maybe the effect would be more positive for you in your system. FWIW.

P.S. Sold the 3500 and bought a Niles IPC-12. Very happy.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Monster makes OK products, but if you're serious about AC power conditioning, check out:
1) http://www.psaudio.com/articles/power_conditioners.asp
Most "filters" like Monster, Adcom, Panamax, etc, can actually *add* distortion to you AC line.
2) Link Removed
"Secrets" is a great place to look for reviews of AC power conditioners that actually work.
3) Balanced power is one of the best ways to clean up your AC. Check out units by Equi=Tech, Furman, Balanced Power Technologies, and Smart. You can find a lot of info on balanced power in general on the home web sites of those companies.
4) By the way, even Monster themselves have discovered the benefits of balanced power: PowerSource HTPS7000.

ling_w

Second Unit
You want a lower noise floor and reduced hiss from amp/prepro combos AND light dimmer switch noise elimination. A mere surge suppressor won't accomplish all this. Power conditioners such as PS Audio and Balanced-Power-Technolgies b-p-t.com take one into the $800 to $1,000 or higher realm. Using one of these, one probably will still need a separate surge protector as well.

4) By the way, even Monster themselves have discovered the benefits of balanced power: PowerSource HTPS7000.
That is why I told him to get this unit if he could get it for 60% off. $500 is dirt cheap for a balanced AC transformer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks