What's new

Monster Legacy Giftset... (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Just a warning to those who are considering going all out and picking up the 6 disc giftset...

I did the same today being that I'm a sucker for these great looking glorified multi-discs mega sets, and am now very much regretting it, in fact I'm going to try and return it tomorrow and hope that I can get a refund.

The packaging which looked really cool and classy online, is nothing more than an oversized green cardboard box with cheap see-through plastic windows around it and stuffed with styrofoam, it's not meant to be placed on your shelf display like other sets, rather it's just some cheap looking outer packaging that seems as though it's meant to be disposed of after removing it's contents... to sum it up more acurately, it's a regular old box.

An ugly box with some useless statues that in my opinion is certainly not worth purchasing unless your interested in owning the figures...

I opened my set to find the 3 regular Monster Legacy Collections which I could have saved almost $40 on if I had purchased seperately... and of course with my luck, each digipack set (which is similair in style to the recent WB Golden Collections with the outer slip and plastic window) came with scratched and marked up plastic windows and bent or ripped corners.

So instead of recieving a classy box-set containing all 6 discs, I shelled out $105 Canadian on a big green cardboard box that won't fit on anyone's shelf, stuffed with styrofoam, 3 useless statues and some banged up digipacks.

Just a warning to those who were considering picking these up thinking they'd be getting some exclusive E.T. or Schindler's List type of thing... the sets on their own look one million times better and much classier and the only thing you get with this set, aside from 3 banged up digipack cases, is a Frankenstein, Dracula and Wolman head on a statue...

Bye.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

In the United States, buying the 3 regular Monster Legacy Collections would be more expensive. I bought the Monster Legacy Collection for $55.99 from Lasersedge. The separate Monster Collections are $20.94 each. Best Buy and Circuit City prices are comparable between the whole Monster Legacy Set versus buying three of them separately. By the way, I like my set, but I have the previous dvd releases of these films.

Crawdaddy

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Who's selling it for $105?

That's the most expensive I've heard of it being anywhere. Most onine prices sell it for LESS than the combined cost of the individual sets. I ordered one for $56 US, shipped free which works out to $75CDN.

Sad to hear about the box being crappy, but I actually expected it to be, and was more or less prepared for it to be too big or awkward to fit on the shelf. Sorta fits with Universal's recent packaging track record, I say.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yup; my set arrived in perfect condition from amazon.ca, but the only reason I bought the set was that it was cheaper than buying them individually - $81 CAD via expedited airmail to the UK.

---
So many films, so little time...

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Well unfortunately since I really wanted to pick this up today and no other local retailers recieved stock shipment yet, I went and bought it at HMV.

I know...

To be fair, my main dissapointment was that it just wasn't what I was expecting. Had I known this was just going to be offered in such a context, I would have just gone for the individual sets.

Also, my digipacks aren't really that banged up either... I'm extremely obsessive about quality which is why I didn't place the order online to begin with, because I always like to thoroughly inspect my DVD's (especially giftsets) to make sure they are in absolutely pristine condition... I don't appreciate even the tiniest of scratches, especially not when I pay $105 on a set which I did so assuming it would make for nice shelf display addition.

I was just really dissapointed to get home and open up an enormous cardboard toy box to find 3 DVD sets which I normally would have passed over in the store due to their condition and some commemorative statues.

Oh well...

BTW, For those of you who did spring for the mega box-set, did you end up keeping the ridiculously enormous ugly cardboard packaging or just toss it and place the digis on your shelf along with the heads? It would seem really inconvenient to start digging through that huge thing everytime you want to watch one of these flicks...

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
yeah, I only paid $80 for it. Didn't you have the chance to see the actual thing at the store before picking it up? I didn't find the box ugly, it fits nicely along side my LOTR gift sets on my shelf. I kind of know what to expect though...

And as Robert said, this is already a good deal, even without the box and statues.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I did see it at the store and was somewhat skeptical but was with friends and made a rushed decision. I had also determined that I'd be picking it up months ago when reading about it online because I really wanted these films, but after getting home this afternoon and opening it up I now realise what a mistake I made... especially considering what I had paid!

Again, if it makes sense because of the cost and you're not the type of person that needs to skim over every DVD you purchase for any subtle flaws in packaging, and you aren't basing the purchase on any aesthetical expectations (i.e. Schindler's List, etc) than I guess it's worth it.

But if you decide to spend a little extra expecting some fancy box-set, as I did... well than I'm just warning you.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, sounds exactly like the Lord of the Rings giftsets!

IMHO, I quite like the design. Yes, the box is a bit wieldy, but considering the sizes of the busts, that is to be expected. The box, cases and busts were in perfect condition when I picked mine up at Best Buy this morning (although those figures were a slight pain to get out).

By the way, does anyone know the type of case used to hold the discs? It's like the case used on the Lawrence of Arabia 2-disc set.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor

For shame...

tsk...tsk...tsk...

I could start a whole 'nother thread about the joys of wasting money at HMV only to find things were cheaper elsewhere. Mind, I stopped shopping there about two years into DVD because of their prices.

Really, you ought to take it back anyways, just on principle. Future Shop's selling it for $80:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...=&newdeptid=13
The savings alone would buy you one or two more DVDs.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I Figured that's what it would be I really want the minibusts. I got it thru Amazon share the love $50.39 shipped. And I cannot wait to get it.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Did any Canadians find a Van Helsing movie ticket inside their Giftset....none in mine :angry:

Or is this only included with the individual disc?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Well, the set is exactly as I expected. I certainly didn't plan to display the box, and the figurines are plenty nice enough (I had no idea what to expect) though to me they are just more dust collectors (I'm not big on decorations!). I bought the set ($73 at amazon.ca) because it was slightly cheaper than the 3 separate discs, like most others said, and I view the figurines as just a bonus to the 14 films.

The more I look at the busts the more I like them; I think I'll display them after all.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
The three monster busts are the main reason to buy the Big Boxed Set, really - and also if buying all three collections at once saves you some money.

I discarded the outer big box, and I'm keeping the digipack collections seperately on my shelves. The monster figures are displayed elsewhere in my room too, still in the styrofoam (which is supposed to be like a castle wall, I assume).

The Frankenstein Set is worth it for an improved BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN rendition; the Dracula Set offers the first-time DVD release of HOUSE OF DRACULA; the Wolf Man set I haven't watched yet but I'm assuming it's the same transfers we've seen on the first DVD releases.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I picked mine up at Best Buy for $59.99. Those statuettes are quite a bit bigger than I was expecting... but wow, they're gorgeous. Very very nice.

I'm not terribly impressed with the rest, however. The slipcases are flimsy!

A quote from the packaging: "For the first time ever, the original FRANKENSTEIN comes to DVD..."

Huh?

Rolando

Screenwriter
Dude,

I know you know...

I know it was mentioned...

But really...

HMV?

No words can express how I feel about them when it comes to DVD. It is an insult to consumers.

Now as punishment you must go watch some REALLY good DVDs to "cleanse" yourself :D

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Sorry if I unjustifiably belittled the busts, but they're just not something I'm into. However, now that I've removed them from the styrofoam and hefted them, I see they really are quite something and are more than just a "bonus", actually very nice! But it's the movies I'm into, though I now do appreciate the busts more than I had previously when viewing them in other sets in stores.

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

Anyone got a quick snapshot of their Legacy Busts, I would like to see a little more of how they might look in-hand.

Thanks
Ray

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
HMV can be ok for their 2 for $20 deals, but on new releases and regularly priced stuff, yeah, they're worth avoiding. (It's scary how crowded their DVD section usually is.)

Then again, I haven't been able to find the boxed set of these titles at any of the usual retailers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks