What's new

Monster it or no? (1 Viewer)

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I'm kinda bored so I was wondering with my Klipsch Quintet speakers they included some pretty junky wires, not sure of the gauge but I would say just as think a telephone wire... So, should I rip them out and put some nice monster cable in there or won't there be a difference?

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
lol price would be cheaper with the monster. I already have a spool of it, not to mention the connects inside the speaker are about 5 inches so I will have plenty of wire. Remember, I am talking about inside the speaker here. I am just wondering if I will notice a difference, I will be using the same monster cable on the inside as I already have running to my reciever. I am just curious wether taking the time to replace the thin cables will show a drastic improvement?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Most likely not. But then you already have the wire, so if it's bothering you enough to ask us, you might as well just take the time and replace it. But I wouldn't if it voids your warranty.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
a waste of time. the internal resistance is dominated by the wire on the voicecoils.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree with Chu, there would be no point at all. Wire ga. inside the speaker is not limiting anything.

A larger ga. wire isn't buying you anything outside either, if you have short runs.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I know this must sound crazy after what you guys have said but I was bored so I did upgrade the wires inside (about 40min. per speaker and compared each one to the one with the smaller wires and yes I do hear a small difference at higher volume levels. When the volume is cranked up it doesn't get that little bit of muddiness... it sounds clear and crisp all the way up to +10db on my HK AVR-225 reciever.

Anyone else ever do this? just curious.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
With all due respect, I believe you are hearing what you want to hear. The wire on the VC is probably 30-34 gauge and 100 ft long. the 5-6" of wire you replaced should have absolutely no effect unless there was corrosion on the connections and when you replaced the wire you removed this.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Hey if you're happy with the improvement then that is all that matters. I was just throwing my 2 cents in.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
at least you didn't screw it up, but I've a feeling you'll be looking for new speakers down the road a bit ;)

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Surely will eventually... but hey I can say "Wired internally with Monster Cable"

Always a plus when that product comes with some paper thin junk inside... even though the improvement wasn't anything noticeable unless you are very close and raise the volume I am happy with it. Very little difference at all I will say but still, gave me something to do as well.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The pursuit of "better" is pretty much endless...hehehe I did some tweaking and ordered some new interconnects today.

On an oddly related note, I actually opened up my speakers because I purchased a capacitor upgrade for them offered by the manufacturer, and found larger ga. OFC wiring in there. This thread is what I thought of immediately, LOL.

Brian-Nu

Auditioning
Monster = overpriced.

Get thicker wire and keep it short. Save yourself $$ for better stuff

Kevin_Kr

Supporting Actor
Monster over priceded? Depends on what you are comparing? Cheap run of the line monster versus home depot wire or z series versus high end audio quest? Now remember when comparing, compare apples to apples.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Chris, don't feel bad curiosity got the better of me one day & I done the same thing. I rewired my Polk RT55i's with Monster going from factory 20awg wire to 16awg. But myself I noticed no difference at all in sq. Like said earlyer you have to think about all the other things that current is passing through, eg the voice coil itself & all the crossover componets as well. I think the only thing I gained from it was some lost boredom.

SeanA

Second Unit
There is a speaker modification that would be worth your time. It is simple and really worked for me. It solved a buzzing problem at peak volumes that I was getting in my center channel speaker. Initially, I thought it was simply a defective driver, so Wharfedale sent a replacement under warranty. When I removed the old driver, I discovered the flange was bent. And when installing the new driver, the screws (which simply thread into the wood enclosure) never gave me that tight feeling. I could turn the screw forever and it would not bite.

I concluded that the bent flange from the old driver combined with the poor clamping force from the screws was preventing the driver from getting a good seal. (It is possible that the bent flange may have helped to loosen the screws bite in the first place). Anyway, the solution was to install T-Nuts from the back side of the speaker enclosure. T-nuts are a female threaded insert with teeth that bite and lock into the wood. After I completed this modification, I really felt I had a nice improvement over the factory design. The new drivers are as secure and well sealed as they can be, and NO MORE BUZZING !!!

See this forum link for a complete discussion:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...fedale+emerald

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks